Booked 1st Princess Cruise - very excited!

Muffinz

Ok, so we’ve booked our first Princess cruise for December 2024 (South Australia) on Crown Princess

I’ll probably have 101 questions leading up to the cruise, so I’ll try not to ask them all at once.

But some that come to mind are.

1)     What time are the nightly shows in the theatre on Crown Princess and how long are they usually? I understand they might differ, depending on where the ship is cruising and what season it is. We will make dinner reservations depending on the times of the shows.

2)     Do the medallions fit on a standard lanyard, or do Princess provide something when you pick them up in port? We’re not interested in buying any medallion accessories if a standard lanyard will do the trick.

3)     On debarkation day does Princess allow you to self-debark with your suitcase, or do you have to pack it up the night before and leave it out for collection?

4)     Are the Main Dining Rooms open for breakfast, lunch and dinner all days of the cruise or just sea days for breakfast / lunch? I understand 1 of them is open only for elite / suite guests for breakfast?

5)     Are the pools on Crown Princess heated? I see come say Princess pools are solar heated some say they’re not

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

1. Show times vary as you mention. Seems like 7:00 and 8:00, but someone will post a Cruise Events Planner and correct me, I'm sure. The shows are 45 minutes long. If you dine early, go straight to the theater because seats fill up. 

2. We just use the standard lanyard that comes with the Medallion. It is a very soft, non-irritating material.

3. Yes, you can do early walk off with your own luggage. We do.

4. We are Elite and do not know of any Elite only dining room. There is a Platinium/Elite/Suite lounge before dinner. Maybe that is what you are thinking of.

5 There is a thread about pool temp currently.  Funny, I've never been in the pool on a cruise. It could be heated. They sure have enough power to heat them.

I believe that if you read 'solar heated',  it means if the sun is out on a warm day they will be warmer!!!

The pools, unlike some cruise ships, are FRESH water pools.

You can get the accessories to hold your lanyard...  Know that they are like an Apple air-Tag,  and you can use an accessory for those for your medallion.

The main production shows will be twice per evening.  If you dine early enough, you catch the later show..  If you dine late enough, you catch the earlier show before you have supper.

Be aware that there could be other things, perhaps an entertainment presentation in the Piazza that would be later in the evening.

You might want to pay attention to the schedule of all these shows and events as they come out for each day.

You can have lunch in a main dining room on sea days,  AND on boarding day..  I wanted to go to the MDR later after having grabbed something to eat earlier when boarding, to get my first Souffle for the cruise, but the dining room was getting ready to shut down before we made it there!  The lunch hours are limited.

You can self disembark..  know that it is best to try to miss the 'rush' as you are dealing with busy packed elevators and everyone with their carry-on's and/or suitcases.

Cruises encourage you to use the 'system' and put your luggage out the night before, for good reason.

Enjoy!!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star

1) theater show times will vary by ship and itinerary. In general, they're 7:30 and 9:30 or 8&10.  40-45 minutes long.

2) medallions come with their own lanyard and holder, complimentary. 

3) yes, self disembarkation is available. Must be able to handle all your own luggage. 

4) one MDR is open daily for breakfast, and lunch on sea days, for everyone . Elite passengers do not have a separate/special dining room/area.  Suite passengers have their Suite breakfast in a specialty restaurant daily, lunch (sea days) and dinner in whatever MDR is designated as Reserve dining area. 

5) pools are solar heated.  

Enjoy. 

Guest Snaxmuppet

By "solar heated"... I read that as no heating. Yes, the sun may warm them a bit or quite a bit in hot weather but other than that I don't think that are heated in any special way.

18 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

thanks - what I meant is one of the 3 main dining rooms is apparently set up for suite guests breakfasts, but I can't remember which one

Nope.

Suite guests breakfast is in a specialty restaurant, not the MDR.

"Reserve" dining is in one MDR, which is any Reserve class mini or full suite, mainly only matters for dinner, as breakfast and lunch is same as everyone else (except suite breakfast in a specialty restaurant).

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Nope.

Suite guests breakfast is in a specialty restaurant, not the MDR.

"Reserve" dining is in one MDR, which is any Reserve class mini or full suite, mainly only matters for dinner, as breakfast and lunch is same as everyone else (except suite breakfast in a specialty restaurant).

ok thanks for clearing that up  🙂 

11 hours ago, Muffinz said:

thanks - what I meant is one of the 3 main dining rooms is apparently set up for suite guests breakfasts, but I can't remember which one

Are you in a full suite? If yes, then you are entitled to the special full suite breakfast each morning. On the Crown Princess fairly certain this breakfast is served in Sabatini's. It's one of the better full suite benefits.

Reserve class dining is also available for passengers in full suites and reserve class mini suites. On the Crown reserve class is in the DaVinci DR, starboard side, on deck 6 mid ship.

One DR is open for breakfast each day and lunch on sea days. Believe it is also the DaVinci DR. All three DRs are open for dinner. On disembarkation day breakfast could be changed to a different DR, probably the deck 6 aft DR. Here is the Princess dining guide

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/corporate/pdfs/restaurants-dining-venues-on-board.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

I think you are off to a good start, and beginning to see your questions answered!!!

Ask away!!!

Yes,  MDR is always available to everyone.  Open for breakfast, and lunch on Sea Days...  and for lunch on Embarkation.  One of these dining rooms will be open.

Reserve Dining is set up In a section to one side of the MDR.  For those who book a 'Reserve' stateroom.  

Suite Breakfast will usually be in a venue such as Sabatini's.

There should be a card in your room, to put out the night before, for you to have coffee and a light breakfast of pastries, fruit, etc.. That you can have delivered to your room.  Some people do try to 'write-in' some extra items... I hear that sometimes easy items, like bacon, they will oblige.   But, this is up to the ship, the staff, and maybe luck.

Using the breakfast card is, of course, complimentary.

Room service, like ordered by phone, could assess and extra charge.

If you have PLUS, then room service is no charge.

Room Service availability for the cruise can also be added for about $15.00.

I hope that I am getting this correctly, as there have been ongoing changes...

( Yes, all of this can begin to be a bit confusing at first! )

Do not overlook The International Cafe...  This is where you can always grab something for a quick and perhaps lighter breakfast or lunch, along with good specialty coffee drinks.

One word...  Almond Croissants!!  and other goodies.

Alfredo's is always a favorite as well.  Should be the best (more Napolitan Stye) pizza onboard.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Regarding post #11. The $15 is US$ and would probably be the equivalent in AUS$ on your cruise.  The fee is for Ocean Now service and is only charged to those with the standard fare. It is included at no additional charge for those with the plus or premier fares. Ocean Now allows you to order beverages and food items for delivery to your location anywhere on the ship including your cabin. 

The Crown Princess does not have Alfredo's. Pizza by the slice is available for no charge at Slice by the Lido Pool. Casual Dining on the Crown is limited to The Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar (not to be confused with the Salty Dog Grill on the Lido deck) and Vines Wine Bar. 

38 minutes ago, skynight said:

Regarding post #11. The $15 is US$ and would probably be the equivalent in AUS$ on your cruise.  The fee is for Ocean Now service and is only charged to those with the standard fare. It is included at no additional charge for those with the plus or premier fares. Ocean Now allows you to order beverages and food items for delivery to your location anywhere on the ship including your cabin. 

The Crown Princess does not have Alfredo's. Pizza by the slice is available for no charge at Slice by the Lido Pool. Casual Dining on the Crown is limited to The Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar (not to be confused with the Salty Dog Grill on the Lido deck) and Vines Wine Bar. 

Ocean Now is only for ordering through the app   If you call room service on the cabin phone there is a $5 charge each time. This fee is waived if you have a plus or premier plan

18 hours ago, Muffinz said:

2)     Do the medallions fit on a standard lanyard, or do Princess provide something when you pick them up in port? We’re not interested in buying any medallion accessories if a standard lanyard will do the trick.

I ordered these for the medallions and are very happy with them

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBPZ257S?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

thanks for the replies

@skynight we are just regular passengers with a balcony stateroom - but we do have the Princess Plus plan

@cnice515 thanks - they look good, but we both wear fit-bits and I don't really want to wear something on my other wrist 

also does anyone know the latest time when we can disembark the ship in Sydney?

reason asking if we're looking at airfares and have found one that leaves later in the day so we don't have to worry about racing to the airport

Could we self disembark at say 10-11am, or do we have to be off the ship at a certain time?

Never cruised out of the US but expect it is the same in Australia.  They want everyone off the ship ASAP so they can turn it over for the next incoming passengers. 

So staying on until 10:00 is probably not going to happen but I cannot speak from experience, by 10:00 am I am hours into my trip home lol. 

ok with the dining, we will mainly use the MDR / Buffet / International cafe and the grill out by the pools that does burgers / taco's...etc (forgot the name sorry)

but according to this (below) we're entitled to 2 casual dining meals per cruise - is this 2 casual meals per person (we both have the plus package) per cruise?

and apart from the Salty Dog, is there anywhere else we get 'casual dining' on Crown?

image.png.ea17b3c1bb35b14859dbe42dff8e5596.pngthanks in advance

I was on the Crown last October (2023) on a B2B west coast cruise and it was pretty chilly and windy but there were still people swimming in the pools. I asked an attendant, and he told me the pools were heated. They did feel warm to the touch.

2 hours ago, Muffinz said:

ok with the dining, we will mainly use the MDR / Buffet / International cafe and the grill out by the pools that does burgers / taco's...etc (forgot the name sorry)

but according to this (below) we're entitled to 2 casual dining meals per cruise - is this 2 casual meals per person (we both have the plus package) per cruise?

and apart from the Salty Dog, is there anywhere else we get 'casual dining' on Crown?

image.png.ea17b3c1bb35b14859dbe42dff8e5596.pngthanks in advance

The charcuterie plate with veggies and truffles in Vines

I have sometimes been the last one off the ship.  Keep in mind that you will have to vacate your stateroom by 8 am.  Princess will assign disembarkation locations depending on your time.  

The all clear (get off the ship) is generally sounded by 9:30 ish.  Breakfast/buffet is usually cleared out by 8:30 ish.  

I have seen passengers walking off the ship with full cases later in the morning.  It does hold up others.  

3 hours ago, skynight said:

" is this 2 casual meals per person"

yes it is per person, but currently only two options on the Crown. 

ok thanks for that - I'll have to look at the menus for The Salty Dog Grill closer to the time 

Wife is looking forward to the specialty deserts... they look calorific! 

Casual Dining is the Salty Dog Gastropub in the Wheelhouse Bar. The Salty Dog Grill is walk up next to the Lido Pool and is no charge except for the Ernesto burger which has a charge.

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/onboard-experience/pdfs/Salty-Dog-Menu.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

https://images.r.cruisecritic.com/pdfs/salty-dog-grill-menu.pdf

Edited by skynight