Wheelchair assistance embarkation / disembarkation

horseymike

Hi Everyone ,

We will be cruising with a friend requiring wheel chair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation on the Rotterdam.

Can anyone tell me the procedure to obtain this assistance ?

Which ports are you using?  I have experience in a few ports, but the answer may depend on which ones.  Kazu's answer is the most direct way and if you know you need assistance that is what I would do too.

I have just shown up at a port and gotten assistance without prior arrangements though. (I sprained my ankle on the way to the port in San Diego!!)  I just told the port staff that I needed help, and I waited in the wheelchair assistance area and got taken in on a first come, first served basis.  I had to wait about 40 minutes that time.

~Nancy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At Port Everglades, there is no need for advance notice at embarkation. Just go to the wheelchair assistance entry. For debarkation, HAL likes to know ahead of time and will send a letter close to debarkation letting you know where to meet. If you submit the Special Requirements Form, there will be an icon on the boarding pass.

Special Requirements Information Form:
https://book.hollandamerica.com/specialServices/login.action

HAL Accessibility FAQs
https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/accessibility.html

GuestAccessibility@HollandAmerica.com

E-mail:

GuestAccessibility@HollandAmerica.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In Seattle, embarkation wheelchair assistance is just outside the terminal on a first come, first served basis.  The pier-side staff member will get a passenger thru the security screen and check-in process.  Once a passenger is checked-in, they will be seated in the ADA area, and will wait for a ship crew member to transport them on to the ship in a HAL wheelchair.

Disembarkation is similar (although I am guessing the passenger needs to let the ship's Guest Services about their need prior to disembarking).  A ship crew member will transport the passenger in a HAL wheelchair to Seattle's Pier 91 luggage hall, where the passenger will wait for a pier-side staff member with a wheelchair to help the passenger find their luggage, secure a porter, and transport the passenger to whatever ground transportation they are using. 

• Thanks 1

My husband will need wheelchair at embarkation.  I let my ta know and I received an email from Guest Accessibility and filled out the required form.  I received a follow up email from them and a wheelchair symbol appeared on his boarding pass. 

• Thanks 1

I informed HAL for my mom coming up in June. They put it in her information but told me it's not required to inform them. When you arrive at the port find the first port employee you see and ask them where Accessibility Assistance is and they will point you in the right direction for assitance. 

For disembarking reach out to guest services and they will send someone up with a wheelchair to assist. 

Fair warning - How many wheel chairs there are and availability can vary from port to port.

I was sailing out of Barcelona and I was glad we had made arrangements in advance.  Wheel chairs there were very limited however I had little wait since it had been pre-arranged.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been using wheelchair assistance to embark and disembark for many years, on many cruises,  now. 

First, in no embarkation port have I ever found any priority recognized; every port has been first come,  first served, as has already been mentioned. So, do plan that you will be waiting, and be patient. 

Second, in the US, the crew can't come to your drop off area, so in some embarkation ports it's necessary to get to a specific place in the terminal yourself; in others, someone from the port will come to get you. Later, you are transferred to a waiting area to wait for a HAL chair and pusher. 
Outside the US, you are generally picked up as soon as you can find a HAL rep to get a wheelchair and pusher for you. Bring plenty of patience! 

Sometimes, once you are onboard the ship, you are dumped in the arrival area, then have to make your way on your own. Other times (most of the time, actually), you will be wheeled all the way to your cabin. ASK for that service; worst that can happen is they say 'no', but they will likely say 'all right'. 

You will want to confirm disembarkation assistance a few days before the cruise ends. Make sure you are on the list, so that HAL has your disembarkation times, sends the letter to your cabin, and is planning for you. You will have to manage to get to the assembly area yourself! 
DO NOT count on you being wheeled off the ship when your color/number is called! Allow yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, checked in, and to your gate to make the flight! You will have no control over anyone else's schedule, and are totally at the mercy of others. 
Again, have a generous supply of patience with you, and a decent attitude. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, horseymike said:

Hi Everyone ,

We will be cruising with a friend requiring wheel chair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation on the Rotterdam.

Can anyone tell me the procedure to obtain this assistance ?

What is your plan for managing getting. around the ship? Are you bringing your own wheelchair or scooter? Are you renting one? If so, is it being delivered to your cabin, or are you picking it up at the terminal? Did you reserve an accessible cabin?

The ship does not have wheelchairs that you can borrow for regular use.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

I've been using wheelchair assistance to embark and disembark for many years, on many cruises,  now. 

First, in no embarkation port have I ever found any priority recognized; every port has been first come,  first served, as has already been mentioned. So, do plan that you will be waiting, and be patient. 

Second, in the US, the crew can't come to your drop off area, so in some embarkation ports it's necessary to get to a specific place in the terminal yourself; in others, someone from the port will come to get you. Later, you are transferred to a waiting area to wait for a HAL chair and pusher. 
Outside the US, you are generally picked up as soon as you can find a HAL rep to get a wheelchair and pusher for you. Bring plenty of patience! 

Sometimes, once you are onboard the ship, you are dumped in the arrival area, then have to make your way on your own. Other times (most of the time, actually), you will be wheeled all the way to your cabin. ASK for that service; worst that can happen is they say 'no', but they will likely say 'all right'. 

You will want to confirm disembarkation assistance a few days before the cruise ends. Make sure you are on the list, so that HAL has your disembarkation times, sends the letter to your cabin, and is planning for you. You will have to manage to get to the assembly area yourself! 
DO NOT count on you being wheeled off the ship when your color/number is called! Allow yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, checked in, and to your gate to make the flight! You will have no control over anyone else's schedule, and are totally at the mercy of others. 

Good luck. 

32 minutes ago, horseymike said:

Hi FOP,

To be clear, we are cruising with friends one of which has become recently disabled.

I believe they are renting a scooter on the ship , and will be bringing a walker.

At least one of the rental companies (SNAS or scootaround, I think)  has historically had on-shore pickup and drop-off for wheelchairs and scooters as an option in Port Everglades. It can make embarking and disembarking much faster/simpler.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FOPMan said:

At least one of the rental companies (SNAS or scootaround, I think)  has historically had on-shore pickup and drop-off for wheelchairs and scooters as an option in Port Everglades. It can make embarking and disembarking much faster/simpler.

Thanks FOPMan

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Good luck. 

Thanks Ruth