Share holder benefit

crompton21

7 hours ago, smj777 said:

Unfortunately I recieved the following reply after sending all the neccesay details and photo to Stockperks;

Unfortunately, per the validation rules we have from our clients, we had to reject your submission because it was too old.

Can you follow the same upload process in the app but with legible recent images of your documentation (from the last 3 months)? These images should show:

• your name (that matches the Stockperks user name)
  • the brokerage’s name
  • date of the documentation
  • the number of shares you own in companies offering perks via Stockperks

I don't know what they mean by the last 3 months, my share certificate is 6 years old. What do they need?

I had the same issue. Uploaded information again on the app with a screen shot of my 100 carnival shares from my online account and took another screen shot of date that was within 3 months from online account took this from the investment report which had January 2024 date. Just blackened out the information that I didn’t want them to see. This was actioned on the 13/03/2024 to Stockperks. Received confirmation from Stockperks this evening that my manual brokerage statement confirmation has been processed. Now processed the next stage to P&O for my cruise in June 2024. Confirmation will be received within 7days for OBC.

14 hours ago, daiB said:

You still have to in some way prove to Stockperks you have shares. They are in New York. I have not seen mentioned anywhere that you can do it other than electronically. I get the impression they do not accept asking foor OBC by email now

I detailed my experience  on the earlier January thread, including:-

To recap, I have a paper certificate and don’t do apps. Emailed Stockperks the details they requested and a recent scan of the certificate. I received an “OBC Benefits Submission Acknowledgement” the same day, three day later I received “Successful OBC Application to Itinerary” I asked Stockperks  what happens next, would P&O respond and send out a revised confirmation invoice? I have not had a reply it seems that once Stockperks have issued “Successful” its job done and they wash their hands. But the good folk on here advised the they had received the revised confirmation from P&O straight after the Stockperks  Successful OBC application notification. So a day later contacted my TA who has confirmed the additional OBC.

When I contacted Stockperks I was informed that they were going to have a desktop version but in the meantime forward the information via email. that was January so don't know if any progress on the PC version has been made.

• Like 2

On 3/18/2024 at 7:29 PM, Bill Y said:

But you are then in the realms of the computer says no, one of the reasons I don’t do apps. I suggested the OP email customer services as it’s staffed by a human but each to their own.

Why do people not like apps? They are essentially identical to a website, and can perform exactly the same functions, seems very bizarre to me.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Why do people not like apps? They are essentially identical to a website, and can perform exactly the same functions, seems very bizarre to me.

Its funny isnt it.  They have the ability to turn on a computer and log onto the internet then search for a forum on cruising yet cannot open an app???

Edited by Harryjacobs
  • Like 1

Smartphone apps have displays that are too small for my ancient hands It is bad enough having to type this. I have a smartphone without a SIM but use a dumb phone for calls and text. I find no problem with pressing a big key 3 times to type the letter c. A tablet is better than a smartphone but not for carrying around.

• Like 2

Apps also take up a lot of storage and many of them want to run continuously in the background which drains the battery.  It is possible to shut the background down but many wouldn't have z clue how to do it.  I keep the P&O and Cunard links on my phone permanently because its such a palaver putting them back and granting the necessary permissions that my virus protection requires.  

Although convenient having too many apps does drag battery life considerably.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Apps also take up a lot of storage and many of them want to run continuously in the background which drains the battery.  It is possible to shut the background down but many wouldn't have z clue how to do it.  I keep the P&O and Cunard links on my phone permanently because its such a palaver putting them back and granting the necessary permissions that my virus protection requires.  

Although convenient having too many apps does drag battery life considerably.

That was the case with some older phones but the current versions of phones are much better. I have in excess of 200 apps on my phone and the battery will last the best part of three days without a charge - my previous phone needed charging every day.

54 minutes ago, david63 said:

That was the case with some older phones but the current versions of phones are much better. I have in excess of 200 apps on my phone and the battery will last the best part of three days without a charge - my previous phone needed charging every day.

I have a mere 37 on a brand new Samsung S24 Ultra, the thought of 200 horrifies me!  Reminded virtually every day that a number of them are draining my battery and asking me to shut them down.  If I use the phone for calls, email and texts I can charge every three days. Use of apps and internet probably halves the time until charge.  I guess it depends on which phone and what you do.  My husband uses WhatsApp and goodness knows what on his Oppo and I think he charges twice a week.

5 hours ago, davecttr said:

Smartphone apps have displays that are too small for my ancient hands It is bad enough having to type this. I have a smartphone without a SIM but use a dumb phone for calls and text. I find no problem with pressing a big key 3 times to type the letter c. A tablet is better than a smartphone but not for carrying around.

Buy a bigger smart phone, my qwerty keyboard is about 2inch square, and my 80 yr old fingers have very little problem with it.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

My understanding is that to access an “app” a smart phone is required. Which some people don’t need or want.

17 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

Its funny isnt it.  They have the ability to turn on a computer and log onto the internet then search for a forum on cruising yet cannot open an app???

I don’t think that it’s particularly funny that people without smart phones are unable to open “apps”.

There are several reasons why people may not wish to possess or use a smartphone;-

Requires a larger screen,

Want to use an actual keyboard and mouse device,

Unable to operate small touch screen,

May not think it’s a good idea to have apps that provide quick access to financial accounts on a device that is carried around in public.

One should use technology as a tool not to be a slave to it, although I appreciate that some employers require their drones to always have a smartphone constantly switched on. Unlike teenagers not everyone needs the latest gismo for bragging rights, but each to their own.

Edited by Bill Y
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I installed the app three days ago and uploaded a screenshot of the stockholding proof. Last night I received confirmation that it had been verified. I redeemed the offer before going to sleep, and the email from P&O arrived this morning with the new booking confirmation for our September cruise.

To be fair, I have had a quicker response a couple of times doing it the old fashioned way, but this was so much easier.

I much prefer apps to web pages and I don't own a phone. I have my apps on my tablet which has the advantage of the bigger screen, some apps I do have on my laptop where needed.

I think it will get harder to deal with some things without the apps soon as that is the way we are being pushed. I noticed yesterday that the best one year ISA's on one of the money sites can only be accessed via the app. Plus of course the Stocksperk app which will likely soon be the only way to access the share OBC, personally I prefer the app to the old method but realise it won't suit everyone for whatever reason. 

40 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

My understanding is that to access an “app” a smart phone is required. Which some people don’t need or want.

I don’t think that it’s particularly funny that people without smart phones are unable to open “apps”.

There are several reasons why people may not wish to possess or use a smartphone;-

Requires a larger screen,

Want to use an actual keyboard and mouse device,

Unable to operate small touch screen,

May not think it’s a good idea to have apps that provide quick access to financial accounts on a device that is carried around in public.

One should use technology as a tool not to be a slave to it, although I appreciate that some employers require their drones to always have a smartphone constantly switched on. Unlike teenagers not everyone needs the latest gismo for bragging rights, but each to their own.

You can download apps to your pc, laptop or tablet.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

You can download apps to your pc, laptop or tablet.

Interesting, Stockperks did not seem aware of that, just said that they were going to bring out a desktop version. Do you need an Android emulator or similar to achieve this? Most banks etc offer online access (PC) and mobile access (Apps) so there is not a problem, but some banks like Atom require an app and an attempt to access it via Google play from my laptop is met with “This app is not available for your device”.

I am genuinely interested in being able to do this.

Edited by Bill Y

12 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

Interesting, Stockperks did not seem aware of that, just said that they were going to bring out a desktop version. Do you need an Android emulator or similar to archive this? Most banks etc offer online access (PC) and mobile access (Apps) so there is not a problem, but some banks like Atom require an app and an attempt to access it via Google play from my laptop is met with “This app is not available for your device”.

I am genuinely interested in being able to do this.

I have the Stocksperk app on my laptop. I have a Chromebook. I do have some apps on my tablet simply because they will not load on my laptop as I get the same app not available message.

35 minutes ago, Bill Y said:

pp and an attempt to access it via Google play from my laptop is met with “This app is not available for your device”.

It could be because your laptop is "outside" the definitions for functionality.  Not a laptop but I have two Samsung tablets my favourite of which is old and going to stop being updated by Samsung at the end of this year.  My Nationwide and TUI apps no longer function on it and I get exactly the same message as you see.  My much loved S7 has just been replaced - it still functions perfectly - as a large number of apps (including P&O's) no longer function correctly on it.

The problem with apps is they often require the newest software within your phone/tablet and cease to function once they consider your equipment too out of date.

Having been pushed into changing by all this I purchased a new S24 Ultra phone and A9 tablet as Samsung have guaranteed they will support and upgrade for 7 years.  Many people will not want to chase this continual new sales drive and I for one was quite upset to see perfectly good working equipment rendered useless by designers.

• Like 2

For anyone who wants to run the Stockperks app on a Windows PC then this can be done with an emulator such as BlueStacks. One BlueStacks is installed it works just as if it is a smartphone

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The problem with apps is they often require the newest software within your phone/tablet and cease to function once they consider your equipment too out of date.

Having been pushed into changing by all this I purchased a new S24 Ultra phone and A9 tablet as Samsung have guaranteed they will support and upgrade for 7 years.  Many people will not want to chase this continual new sales drive and I for one was quite upset to see perfectly good working equipment rendered useless by designers.

Well said!

This is a pet peeve, planed obsolescence. These devices should come with a government health warning, I noticed a few years ago that John Lewis had disclaimers on “Smart TVs” saying that neither they nor the manufactures could be held responsible for third party software ceasing to function. If you upgrade a devise then often software requires a chargeable upgrade too. A good reason to adopt an if it ain’t broke don’t fix it approach, my two laptops run XP and 8.1. Rant over.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 1:13 PM, Bill Y said:

my two laptops run XP and 8.1.

I really really hope that you don't use either online, and if you do that you have no financial or personal information on them.

On 3/13/2024 at 4:37 PM, Winifred 22 said:

I got OBC for September Cunard cruise applied in under 24 hours applied Sunday. Confirmation e Mail from Cunard Monday morning 

Did you apply direct or via Stockperks? Have to say I am deeply unimpressed with Stockperks. I registered and uploaded proof of shareholding. Took well over a week to get it recognised and that was only after I chased them. Once that was done I applied for shareholder OBC for a Cunard cruise. That was a couple of weeks ago. I’ve heard nothing. When I used to apply direct to Carnival the response was far quicker. 

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Did you apply direct or via Stockperks? Have to say I am deeply unimpressed with Stockperks. I registered and uploaded proof of shareholding. Took well over a week to get it recognised and that was only after I chased them. Once that was done I applied for shareholder OBC for a Cunard cruise. That was a couple of weeks ago. I’ve heard nothing. When I used to apply direct to Carnival the response was far quicker. 

I do agree your experience isn't good.  Presumably the change was meant to be more efficient - and in many cases once registered for many it has been quick and easy. 

I wonder whether it makes a difference who holds your shares.  Seems once Stockperks have you recognised as a share holder you don't have to go through the registration process again but presumably they do check that you still hold the shares each time you apply.  Are some providrs linked into their system and give more or less instant confirmation whilst others are not, and if not, perhaps delays are a reflection of varying response times from providers. 

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

I do agree your experience isn't good.  Presumably the change was meant to be more efficient - and in many cases once registered for many it has been quick and easy. 

I wonder whether it makes a difference who holds your shares.  Seems once Stockperks have you recognised as a share holder you don't have to go through the registration process again but presumably they do check that you still hold the shares each time you apply.  Are some providrs linked into their system and give more or less instant confirmation whilst others are not, and if not, perhaps delays are a reflection of varying response times from providers. 

Could be. Mine are with Hargreaves Lansdown. Doesn’t explain the delay in getting OBC applied once the shareholding has been verified though?

57 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Could be. Mine are with Hargreaves Lansdown. Doesn’t explain the delay in getting OBC applied once the shareholding has been verified though?

That's true.  You'd think that would be the easy part!  And in some cases it has been almost by return (with perhaps some variation as a result of working hours US/UK timings).  What a frustrating business.  Hope you soon get confirmation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Ours are with HL too, and as they weren't one of the brokers with a direct link to Stockperks, I also had to upload a screenshot. Three days later I received confirmation of our share holding, and was invited to input the cruise details. Within about half an hour I received confirmation of the OBC and also a new booking confirmation.

To be fair, under the old method of sending the proof of shareholding direct to Carnival, it's both been quicker and taken longer. 

If I were your Selbourne, I would chase up with Carnival.