Cost of individual cocktails and drinks at the bar on a Viking Ocean cruise

JoKnecht

The only information the ship is offering is the $300pp unlimited drink package.  This is our first Viking cruise and I was interested in finding out whether it was worth the cost.  Haven't been able to find any information of their website.

It really depends on how much alcohol you consume.  They offer free beer and a white or red wine with lunch and dinner.  I seem to remember their drinks are reasonably priced, but we had the Silver Spirits package.  If you each drink more than 2 every day, the package is worth it.  If you average only 2, then probably not.

If you have established your account on My Viking Journey -- MVJ :

Select Onboard Experience...Dining...Silver Spirits Bev. Package...

See sample menu. Note--To see menu PDF, you may have to look at it on Desktop or laptop.  It does not open on my android Moto phone, and (May or may not be updated) Prices include grat.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

11 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Are both persons occupying the cabin still required to purchase their own SSP? 

Yes, unless there are exceptional circumstances, for example, an underage occupant.

If you search the Viking forum you will find countless threads discussing the SSBP and if it is worth it.

To reinforce what millybess said, yes, both in the cabin need to sign up.  You cannot just say that one does not drink that much.  Both or nothing unless you are travelling with an under the drinking age child.

Here are just a few discussions... there are many more.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, FetaCheese said:

If you have established your account on My Viking Journey -- MVJ :

Select Onboard Experience...Dining...Silver Spirits Bev. Package...

See sample menu. Note--To see menu PDF, you may have to look at it on Desktop or laptop.  It does not open on my android Moto phone, and (May or may not be updated) Prices include grat.

Just be aware that these prices are in euros, but the prices look about where they should be in $$ from our trip last month.
 I could see the menu on my iPad.  

2 hours ago, pavementends said:

I only bought ONE drink on a recent cruise.

I found the prices reasonable but the drink (martini) was weak.

Maybe too diluted? It's not possible to make a weak martini unless water is added.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Just be aware that these prices are in euros, but the prices look about where they should be in $$ from our trip last month.
 I could see the menu on my iPad.  

My MVJ Living Room Bar Menu prices are in USD.  

Edited by FetaCheese

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

Maybe too diluted? It's not possible to make a weak martini unless water is added.

The usual way to make a martini involves stirring on ice or shaking with ice, so necessarily some water is added. And then there is the question of the amount of vermouth.

For a truly intense martini, keep your navy strength gin in the freezer along with the vermouth and glasses. Pour gin directly into the glass and add any vermouth thought necessary.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

My MVJ Living Room Bar Menu prices are in USD.  

I may be wrong here, but I find that Viking prices on their web site, or MVJ can be in a currency that is not necessarily disclosed on the same page.

Additionally some pricing is in USD and some in Euros when on the ship depending on what region of the world you are in.

I recently had a "discussion" with Viking customer service, because in Canada, the Canadian site of Viking is all in CDN dollars.  We purchase our cruise in CDN dollars.  

When you get into MVJ - as a Canadian - and you look at the SSBP and Pre-Paid Gratuities, I EXPECT that pricing to also be in Canadian.  It is not.  It is USD.

SSBP is listed at $25pp per night.  When you drop it into your cart and go to pay it recalculates to CDN and is now $34pp per night.  Nowhere on the MVJ site or on the page where it states this is USD.  To further confuse, the site states $25pp per night, but the total is $476.00 - which certainly is not $25 X 14 nights.

I have highlighted this to Viking and they have done nothing about it.  I have suggested that it is confusing and conflicting statements.

The interesting thing is that for Pre-Paid Gratuities they don't give a daily amount, just the total per person.  $476 per person.  This is CDN and translates to $27.00 per person per night.

Remember the SSBP below cost is for a 14 night cruise.

My point with all of this is the currency that Viking is showing on a website, or MVJ, or a menu on a ship can be anything...

image.thumb.png.48daee8cdc8e55c70938c8fae465a195.png

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ericosmith said:

They're also not correct.  

Yes, you are correct.  Prices were higher on Star, December/January 2024 cruise.  Wines by the glass were $8.  Had SSBP, so I didn't know what individual spirits cost, just ordered!

Hard to understand why V does not put up a current Living Room Bar menu.

On 2/26/2024 at 2:24 PM, millybess said:

Yes, unless there are exceptional circumstances, for example, an underage occupant.

My wife is diabetic and a kidney transplant recipient who takes a lot of drugs would that qualify as an exception to the both person muyst purchase rule?

37 minutes ago, zalusky said:

My wife is diabetic and a kidney transplant recipient who takes a lot of drugs would that qualify as an exception to the both person muyst purchase rule?

Maybe ask Viking? Just a thought.

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

If it were my decision it certainly would exempt you from the rule.  Have you put this question to Viking, or had past experience with this rule?

1 minute ago, millybess said:

If it were my decision it certainly would exempt you from the rule.  Have you put this question to Viking, or had past experience with this rule?

I like asking people here that might have real experience.  The only booking I currenbtly have for next year gave the SSBP gratis so I was just curious if there is any real experience.

1 minute ago, zalusky said:

I like asking people here that might have real experience.  The only booking I currenbtly have for next year gave the SSBP gratis so I was just curious if there is any real experience.

Excellent question and possibly someone here will comment on their experience.

Good on you -- free SSBP.  We've only been that fortunate once.  We usually buy it -- set it and forget it sort of thing.  

Just now, millybess said:

Excellent question and possibly someone here will comment on their experience.

Good on you -- free SSBP.  We've only been that fortunate once.  We usually buy it -- set it and forget it sort of thing.  

It was more than that.  It was a completely free junior suite cruise with SSBP that I got when I took a move over offer a few days before a cruise last year.

• Like 1

Just now, zalusky said:

It was more than that.  It was a completely free junior suite cruise with SSBP that I got when I took a move over offer a few days before a cruise last year.

That's even better!!  That's never happened to us.  Although lately we are booking longer cruises, so I'm not sure we could move over.