Western Caribbean currencies

Recently I found some limpiras ina drawer that were left over from my mission days in Honduras.  Took the with me on our cruise to buy a beer or two and they wouldn’t take them!  They said the port area is on dollars only.  I took them over to the booth run by the Rotary Club and donated them there.  I thought the whole thing was amusing.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, edin_cruiser said:

Going on Joy on in a few weeks. Will I need Belize Dollars, Mexican Pesos and Honduran Lempiras or will they accept USD in these ports?

USD are accepted in all of your ports of call. Not sure how easy it would be to use GBP. A credit card that does not incur foreign transaction fees would be a good way to pay for a lot of things. 

In Belize, you are on a NCL private island unless you are taking a tour to the mainland. All of the food and beverage on the island are not included and you will need USD or a credit card to buy things there. 

Enjoy the Joy, she should be fresh and new after her dry dock last week. 

If you want a peek at the Joy, I have attached a link to my live post (pre-dry dock)

On 2/27/2024 at 12:35 PM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

They will accept US dollars at every cruise port in the world, especially those. You’ll be fine.

I'm not sure that is true in Europe, but sounds like it is in the Caribbean. Happy days.

46 minutes ago, edin_cruiser said:

I'm not sure that is true in Europe

this topic comes up from time to time. US dollars are not as universally accepted in europe, but that's really not the issue, the issue is nobody wants cash... of any kind. outside the USA (and increasingly within), cards rule. bank notes and coins are an afterthought, even for locals.

very few places take cash.

i never get local currencies anymore.

i've just returned from a land-based holiday in europe. it was virtually impossible to spend cash... anywhere, except maybe a pay toilet. (and even most of those took cards). my pounds and euros have just as many frequent flyer miles as i do. i pack them up and take them with me and they always return home with me, largely unspent.

last year i traveled on the prima to iceland, noway, the netherlands and belgium. cash was not only unnecessary everywhere i went, it was looked upon as an inconvenience by most shopkeepers and restaurants. 

nobody in the caribbean wanted local currencies.

times have changed. it's important to travel with a chip-embedded debit card and at least one chip-embedded credit card that processes foreign transactions without a fee. if you absolutely must have cash for your seven hour port visit, go to ATM and use your debit card to take out ten or twenty dollars worth. it'll make a nice souvenir, because you will be headed home with most of it.

• Like 1

italy and france prefer euros. years ago, trying to get from venice to the airport, the driver refused to accept u.s. dollars. we're on the star in april, out of brazil, and ive been advised by the concierge 

in the hotel we've booked, that most places in brazil prefer doing business in their own currency.

in the carribean, most islands habla $20 bill. years ago we were in martinique, and i went into a bakery, and they insisted on francs (before euro became fashionable, and probably over 30 years ago) 

On 2/27/2024 at 7:46 AM, cheersforbeers said:

In January I tried to use my discover card, not accepted only Visa and MC and they want 2% to do that, but the accepted cash, they preferred that. 

Of course, All credit cards charge the vendor a transaction fee.  

There is no transaction fee for cash.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, edin_cruiser said:

I'm not sure that is true in Europe, but sounds like it is in the Caribbean. Happy days.

If you go into a shop with US dollars only, and want to buy something, they will get a calculator (or their phone) and convert for you. Or they will get it from a business nearby. At least that has been my experience everywhere I have travelled, including about a dozen countries in Europe.

If it means the difference between a sale and no sale, they will gladly take USD.

Edited by Distinctive-Destinations

9 hours ago, complawyer said:

in the carribean, most islands habla $20 bill. years ago we were in martinique, and i went into a bakery, and they insisted on francs (before euro became fashionable, and probably over 30 years ago) 

We had a similar experience in Martinique.  We had done a tour of the filthy little island, and stopped in at a cafe for a beer.  I had only $20s and the very rude waiter said he would not be able to give me change, implying I could Pat $20 for a $4 bar tab.  I had seen a currency exchange down the block went and changed money and left him exactly $4.   Only place I’ve been in the Caribbean that did not take USD.

many businesses do not take cash, worldwide.

groceries, theaters, restaurants, jewelry stores, transportation systems.

for many businesses, it's gone well beyond a preference.

there is no cash on premises and no way they can provide change.

want to buy a cup of ice cream or theater program in london? no cash accepted!

want to travel on a bus or train? better have a card - or a travel card with currency loaded.

dine in a fast food restaurant? no cash accepted.

there has been a shift in the past few years. we now live in a card culture. merchants don't want cash... they don't want the liability, they don't want to be prone to employee theft and to robberies, they don't wan t to have to transport the cash to the bank at the end of the day. handling cash is messy and expensive and businesses have largely dine away with it.

Posted (edited)

It's been a couple of years since I cruised. In my past experience, Europeans preferred Euros tho they were more than happy to accept USD from US military personnel. Caribbean countries then were always happy to get USD as the exchange rate worked to their benefit. 

It is interesting & informative to have this important thread now to know how to prepare for international travel. Thanks to the OP for posing the question & thanks to respondents for their feedback. :classic_smile:

Edited by idocdlw

16 hours ago, UKstages said:

this topic comes up from time to time. US dollars are not as universally accepted in europe, but that's really not the issue, the issue is nobody wants cash... of any kind. outside the USA (and increasingly within), cards rule. bank notes and coins are an afterthought, even for locals.

very few places take cash.

You should come to germany, we germans prefer cash. (although can pay with card in many locations)

But thats not relevant for OP`s question.

• Like 1