NRD vs RD - one more question.

ISABELLA

I am sure my question has been discussed on these boards, but I can't find the answer.

We booked a 10 days cruise with RD, paying only $100/ pp deposit while on board in December.

If I to change my reservation to NRD and if I need to cancel - will I be charged $200 or $900? I know that best is just to keep the booking # and move to another cruise and be charged $200. Am I correct?

hmmm..  I think you are confusing a couple things.     If you have a RD and changed to a NR deposit but would expect to pay the new $900 deposit,  if you booked it on board you may loose your onboard Credit (it happened to me).  

Once you have a NR deposit if you decide to cancel you will loose the deposit - $900 for a non-suite but as you suggested could move it to a different cruise for $200.

• Thanks 1

As was explained to me on board - I can change to NRD, still keep OBC, but cruise will be repriced at current price. My question is if I need to cancel the cruise, will I loose deposit I paid on board ($200) or X will charge me ($900)? 

9 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

As was explained to me on board - I can change to NRD, still keep OBC, but cruise will be repriced at current price. My question is if I need to cancel the cruise, will I loose deposit I paid on board ($200) or X will charge me ($900)? 

If you accept what was told to you onboard at the time of booking, not sure the reason for your posting.

@Jim_Iainrelated their experience, which which was not satisfactory or so it sounds.

IMO, your next (needed to have been first) move would be to contact X to verify your thoughts/information/concern.

If not satisfied with their response then you can argue it there.

bon voyage

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ISABELLA said:

"Explained to you".

You have that in writing somewhere?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

If you accept what was told to you onboard at the time of booking, not sure the reason for your posting.

@Jim_Iainrelated their experience, which which was not satisfactory or so it sounds.

IMO, your next (needed to have been first) move would be to contact X to verify your thoughts/information/concern.

If not satisfied with their response then you can argue it there.

bon voyage

I am not arguing anything. That is not the point of my posting.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

I am not arguing anything. That is not the point of my posting.

Okay, then we can accept that may not have been the point of your post and can only request that you clarify what the point is so we do not provide information which is of no value to you.

The point of my post is, essentially, that a call to X would be better for clarification on the issue as presented to us here, as our individual experiences can possibly be vastly different than yours.

bon voyage

On 2/28/2024 at 4:49 PM, ISABELLA said:

I am sure my question has been discussed on these boards, but I can't find the answer.

We booked a 10 days cruise with RD, paying only $100/ pp deposit while on board in December.

If I to change my reservation to NRD and if I need to cancel - will I be charged $200 or $900? I know that best is just to keep the booking # and move to another cruise and be charged $200. Am I correct?

If you cancel your RD cruise, you get your $200 back.  Why change it to a NRD and risk loosing $900 if you have to cancel?  Just leave your cruise as a RD and the worse that could happen is you loose $200, which you would having to spend anyway to change the dates of your cruise. 

I have done this multiple times where I book a refundable deposit onboard then change the ship and sail date to another sailing at the NRD rate (reservation becomes NRD).   You don't have to increase the deposit (unless it's a group rate).   I've never cancelled but since they only have $200 of my money that's all they would get.  Once you are in the penalty period after final payment then the full deposit amount would be lost.

There were reports a few months ago from people I know and trust (Jim included) about losing book onboard OBC when making changes.  I don't think this is supposed to happen and has never happened to me, if it did I'd be escalating to the executive office.

Now I believe the book later bookings where you choose a sailing at a later date may have different conditions where you could lose the associated OBC.   I don't use these as I was burned several years ago by a prior version.

So for your direct question it's my understanding that you could reprice your onboard booking at the NRD prevailing rate/promo and retain the book onboard bonus OBC keeping your $200 deposit and if cancelled prior to final payment you would lose only the $200.

On 2/29/2024 at 9:26 PM, wrk2cruise said:

I have done this multiple times where I book a refundable deposit onboard then change the ship and sail date to another sailing at the NRD rate (reservation becomes NRD).   You don't have to increase the deposit (unless it's a group rate).   I've never cancelled but since they only have $200 of my money that's all they would get.  Once you are in the penalty period after final payment then the full deposit amount would be lost.

There were reports a few months ago from people I know and trust (Jim included) about losing book onboard OBC when making changes.  I don't think this is supposed to happen and has never happened to me, if it did I'd be escalating to the executive office.

Now I believe the book later bookings where you choose a sailing at a later date may have different conditions where you could lose the associated OBC.   I don't use these as I was burned several years ago by a prior version.

So for your direct question it's my understanding that you could reprice your onboard booking at the NRD prevailing rate/promo and retain the book onboard bonus OBC keeping your $200 deposit and if cancelled prior to final payment you would lose only the $200.

Thank you very much. You just answer my question.