Vista - Thin Walls Reported on Celebrity Forum

59 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Add in the new information regarding the Regent new built, same construction yard as Vista.......

So Regent and Oceania new builds are both owned by NCL corporation.......

Most interesting indeed.

May be coincidence, may be not.

Being they are both new construction, same construction plan and materials?

More lightweight to link to "environmental" objectives?

Let us see how this goes.

You raise a good point, or at least a good question. Another interesting somewhat puzzling factor: I am embarking on a 14 night transatlantic on Regent Splendor, their second newest ship just prior to the new apparently sound problematic Grandeur. I asked on the Regent board, since the three most recent Regent ships are of the same class, whether I can expect noise issues on the Splendor. Was assured that the Splendor did not seem to have the "thin wall" problem, just the latest ship on the series...the Grandeur. I guess I will find out for myself in about 30 days.

• Like 2

Having been on Vista, I believe the issue is both the TV and the lack of insulation between the walls. The speakers on the TV are located in the back of the TV- just like your big flat screen TV at home. This cause's the sound to bounce off the common wall before entering the room.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

Having been on Vista, I believe the issue is both the TV and the lack of insulation between the walls. The speakers on the TV are located in the back of the TV- just like your big flat screen TV at home. This cause's the sound to bounce off the common wall before entering the room.

Agree. You have raised the apparent primary two causes. The third might be the very very quiet A/C system. Historically ships have a whooshing sound coming from heat or air-conditioning that serves as a sort of white noise. Vista's quiet A/C would normally be a good thing...but it's not providing any white noise means it does not help moderate the noise problem caused by poor sound insulation and TV speakers pointed at the walls.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

Hi Dwtlion!

You mention, the lack of acoustical treatment (insulation) between the walls - is this a known issue? Does someone have drawings of the construction? 

Not having sound attenuation treatment between walls where there is known to be loud noise (TV, people playing video with sound on devices) and in small confined spaces with multiple people is not a reasonable thing - especially considering we are talking about premium and luxury vessels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe no one knows for sure what the reason is, but there's enough people that have experienced it to validate that it is an issue. Any guesses about why are simply that, a guess. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, thebsinmiss said:

If you have a cell phone you have a clock (and an alarm clock too !) The latest iphone update turns the screen in to a very visible clock which stays visible when the phone is turned sideways. Makes a great bedside clock when its charging over night.

I also bought a cheap old school analog timex watch for the cruise.  Its waterproof and I plan on setting it for ships time when we embark so I never have to worry about missing any all aboard times in ports.  Don't have to worry about it getting broken/stolen and I don't have to carry my phone around with me. 

Thanks for this!  I have not updated my iPhone yet.  I will do so soon.  I wear a watch all during the daytime.  It has a big face.  I use my iPhone at night, but have to touch the screen to see the time at night.  I think I may like the new clock.

Now for the problem on the Vista and no clocks.  DH does not wear a watch or carry his cell phone.  At home, he relies on house clocks.  When out, it's businesses, or the car clock.  I wonder how he will tell the time on the ship if I am not with him. 😁  Don't the T.V.s have a clock?

6 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

I still would like to know if the vessel construction and or materials is contributing to a systemic noise issue.

We recently built a new house with all the latest and greatest house building features.  One of those is the blown-in foam insulation.  Great for heating/cooling bills, but I have noticed that the walls seem less sound proof.  Not only between rooms, but from outside to inside.  Our house is brick all the way around, yet we can still hear people talking if they are within 10' from our house. I don't think that should happen!   Our house is close to the street in an older neighborhood with lots of daily walkers. 

Our builder suggested spraying the foam around some plumbing to keep flushing noises at bay.  Does not work. If anything, the flushing sounds more echo-eee. I know that is not a word.  🙄   So I wonder if the ship has insulated with this spray foam or foam type panels.  🤔

• Like 3

I was on Vista in January. Never heard anything from the adjacent cabins.  Ship is beautiful.  Comparing Oceania to Celebrity is a joke. I am elite plus on Celebrity. Oceania is much better than Celebrity.  Oceania costs more and it’s worth it.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

I was on Vista in January. Never heard anything from the adjacent cabins.  Ship is beautiful.  Comparing Oceania to Celebrity is a joke. I am elite plus on Celebrity. Oceania is much better than Celebrity.  Oceania costs more and it’s worth it.  

I am elite plus on Celebrity and now Silver on Oceania. I appreciate the differences in the products. Oceania has a great product and is better than Celebrity in so many ways. You were very fortunate that you were not affected by noise from other cabins. Based on my discussion with crew, you will most likely experience the problem if you cruise enough on Vista. The noise issue is no joke and new Celebrity ships absolutely run circles around Vista in the area of sound moderation between cabins. That is the point I am raising here, not a damn thing to do with price or with other aspects of the cruise experience.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dwtlion said:

If TV is part of the problem, should be fairly easy to fix I would think? Especially if they are aware of the issue and admit there is a problem.

27 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

If TV is part of the problem, should be fairly easy to fix I would think? Especially if they are aware of the issue and admit there is a problem.

I do not know of any 42"+ flat screen that has speakers in the front.

• Like 1

Though I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from this thread, since most of the noise seems to be talking or TV or music. I don't think anyone above has ever complained about any couple gettin' jiggly next door. I mean, who doesn't hate it when someone else is obviously having a better time than you? I stubbornly keep wondering if this all just doesn't show...the aging of the O passenger. As they turn up their TVs and have the best in hearing-aid technology. One suspects the oldest and wealthiest are on Vista. 😉

15 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I don't think anyone above has ever complained about any couple gettin' jiggly next door

I'm going to assume that I know what "jiggly" means (tis not a word in common usage in English English). So, assuming I've assumed correctly, then it's not a major issue as it doesnt tend to last long. 😀

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Harters said:

... then it's not a major issue....

Though I might've expected someone once to have stayed next to a couple on Vista who flew the pineapple on their door? (My wife alerted me to the potential meaning of that from her Reddit groups.)

Having been on all three classes of Oceania's ships, I think anyone who crosses off the Vista (and/or Allura) because of reports of thin walls will miss a wonderful cruise ship experience. These ships are a real step up for Oceania, in my opinion. We had such a good time on Vista in December and we will greatly favor booking Vista and Allura in the future depending, of course, on itinerary. Even if the walls were thin and noise was a big factor, I'd still prefer those ships, with earplugs for sleeping if necessary. We are on Marina in November and Allura in 2025 (with 2 Celebrity cruises in between). I'm delighted that Marina will have the Aquamar Cafe by the time we board. It was a real treat to have breakfast and lunch there on Vista. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Having been on all three classes of Oceania's ships, I think anyone who crosses off the Vista (and/or Allura) because of reports of thin walls will miss a wonderful cruise ship experience. These ships are a real step up for Oceania, in my opinion. We had such a good time on Vista in December and we will greatly favor booking Vista and Allura in the future depending, of course, on itinerary....

Having been on Sirena (11/2022) and Riviera as well as on Riviera pre- (12/2021) and post-refit (10-11/2023), what does Vista truly have that Riviera lacks? One notes immediately how similar in size and floor plans they are. Riviera has the large therapy pool on the spa deck that Marina lacks. You can argue all day about Ember and Aquamar, but neither has any serious "wow factor". I've read many horror stories about Vista's main theatre's seating and stage. I just don't read the specifics as to why spend a lot more to be on Vista. If the itinerary is the same or similar, I'm going with Riviera and saving some $$$$. (Too bad we've got to be on Sirena in the Baltic in Aug-Sept 2024, for I would prefer Riviera. But we can live with Sirena for the ports and excursions and the price.)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MarkWiltonM said:

... I think anyone who crosses off the Vista (and/or Allura) because of reports of thin walls will miss a wonderful cruise ship experience. These ships are a real step up for Oceania, in my opinion. We had such a good time on Vista in December and we will greatly favor booking Vista and Allura in the future depending, of course, on itinerary....

And OVER on the ATW 2026 thread ongoing we get to READ this about Vista:

"Just a heads up THERE ARE NO CLOCKS ON VISTA."

"https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2986918-atw-2026/page/2/#comments:~:text=Correction --,there are no clocks in the staterooms upon embarkation but you can ask your room steward/butler and they are happy to provide you one.  The same for sewing kits%2C etc.  ,-Quote 

The pay more get less part of Vista compared to Riviera.

Edited by MEFIowa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

Having been on Sirena (11/2022) and Riviera as well as on Riviera pre- (12/2021) and post-refit (10-11/2023), what does Vista truly have that Riviera lacks? One notes immediately how similar in size and floor plans they are. Riviera has the large therapy pool on the spa deck that Marina lacks. You can argue all day about Ember and Aquamar, but neither has any serious "wow factor". I've read many horror stories about Vista's main theatre's seating and stage. I just don't read the specifics as to why spend a lot more to be on Vista. If the itinerary is the same or similar, I'm going with Riviera and saving some $$$$. (Too bad we've got to be on Sirena in the Baltic in Aug-Sept 2024, for I would prefer Riviera. But we can live with Sirena for the ports and excursions and the price.)

Aquamor and a truly fantastic gorgeous spa deck are big positives for Vista. But otherwise Riviera and soon to be remodeled Marina are really equal with better theatre sight lines and without cabin walls that are ridiculously thin in terms of sound mitigation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I spy an opportunity for Viking: they can eliminate TVs from their staterooms and add another “no” to their marketing campaigns. 😎

11 hours ago, Hanoj said:

I spy an opportunity for Viking: they can eliminate TVs from their staterooms and add another “no” to their marketing campaigns. 😎

Just off Viking, no need to remove the TV, their TVs feature a forward facing sound bar which, if this is the issue, addresses the problem.

New marketing campaign could perhaps be, “we considered your privacy, so your neighbors TV is oriented towards them rather than you” a bit wordy perhaps…

We sail Vista in January and will report our experiences.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

Just off Viking, no need to remove the TV, their TVs feature a forward facing sound bar which, if this is the issue, addresses the problem.

New marketing campaign could perhaps be, “we considered your privacy, so your neighbors TV is oriented towards them rather than you” a bit wordy perhaps…

We sail Vista in January and will report our experiences.

Either a soundbar or wireless speakers in the bed/sitting area could help with the noise issue as long as the TV's speakers were disabled. A bonus would be optional headsets.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 5:03 PM, EJL2023 said:

We were in Stateroom 8071 and had no issues with noise.  This was the case even with those in the next stateroom seemingly in quarantine nearly the entire cruise. 

On Vista now. 7025. No noise. 

• Like 2

It would be an exercise, but capturing from this thread the cabins both with and without noise problems, then ‘mapping’ them on the deck plans….I wonder if it would show a pattern, or if it’s too small a sample size. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

It would be an exercise, but capturing from this thread the cabins both with and without noise problems, then ‘mapping’ them on the deck plans….I wonder if it would show a pattern, or if it’s too small a sample size. 

Also, it is if the cabins on either side are occupied or not and if the occupants turn on their TV and/or talk loud....a cabin can be reported as a problem one cruise and not the next dependent upon your neighbors.   We never watch the TV expect for the menus/account information, etc. and do not have the sound turned on at all so our neighbors will think they are in a cabin with no noise problem...(we also keep our voices down - use our inside voices!)

• Like 3