Looking for feedback....Mediterranean/Greece on NCL or Royal Caribbean?

Zoemakes5

Which should I choose?   

2 members have voted

1. 1. Royal Caribbean or Norwegian Cruise Line?

• RC
    • NCL

Looking at two different options for Med including Greece for 2025 and would love your input.  NCL and Royal Caribbean.  

RC starts in Barcelona and ends in Rome.  10 days.  Goes to Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily (Palermo), Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Naples (Capri), Rome.  

NCL starts and ends Rome.  Also 10 days.  Goes to Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Corfu, Valletta, Messina, Naples, Florence

That choice is difficult as we see pros/cons to each.  We always prefer embarking and disembarking at different ports since that makes it possible to enjoy some good land options both pre and post cruise :).  That being said, and having been to all the mentioned ports (numerous times) we would prefer the NCL itinerary.   Valletta is a fantastic port.  As to Messina, it makes it possible to take a tour (or go on your own) to Taormina, which is a delightful walkable town.

Hank

• Like 1

Have to say I like the NCL itinerary better so I would need to vote that way.   Although I like cruising Royal better than NCL.    But as it is a port intensive cruise I vote for the better ports IMO

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 5:36 PM, Zoemakes5 said:

NCL and Royal Caribbean.

To help you decide, you might want to compare how long you will have in the different ports, as NCL has a bit of a reputation for having shorter times than other lines.  I do not know, have only read posts mentioning this, but worth checking anyway.

Posted (edited)

I'm doing the may 2025 ta rcl voyager and 2nd leg ends in rome. If I do 3 legs it ends in athens greece so I came here ro decide if I'd rather end in rome or greece. 

Edited by firefly333

32 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm doing the may 2025 ta rcl voyager and 2nd leg ends in rome. If I do 3 legs it ends in athens greece so I came here ro decide if I'd rather end in rome or greece. 

Have you ever been in Rome?

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

Have you ever been in Rome?

No I've stayed close to home when my parents were alive. This will be all new ports, both legs I signed up for and the days after the cruise should I spend it in rome or athens. Right now 2nd leg has a port stop in athens but ends in rome. Some I talked to booked 3 legs to end in athens. No one ive talked to has been on a TA or to europe. Not a clue. The blind leading the blind. Solo no less so just me planning and doing it.

20 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

No I've stayed close to home when my parents were alive. This will be all new ports, both legs I signed up for and the days after the cruise should I spend it in rome or athens. Right now 2nd leg has a port stop in athens but ends in rome. Some I talked to booked 3 legs to end in athens. No one ive talked to has been on a TA or to europe. Not a clue. The blind leading the blind. Solo no less so just me planning and doing it.

Rome it is. If you have a long day in Athens, you can book ahead a visit to Acropolis. We took a taxi from the pier and "beat" the crowds. The earlier, the better.

Skip the line.

Here is the official website.  It's kind of clunky, but it works.  

https://etickets.tap.gr/webengines/tap_b2c/english/tap.exe?PM=P1

The region is ATTICA

The site is ACROPOLIS AND SLOPES

Pick the date

Pick a time. The time is for statistical purposes only, but the ticket gives you the right to enter without waiting in line whenever you show up that day.  

Pick the number of persons.

Pick "single use" or "combined" which gives you access to other sites.

Checkout.

For Rome, there are lots of companies offering transfers/shared shuttles from pier to hotels in Rome. I can recommend you one, should you decide.

Also an excellent located hotel right in the middle of "everything", the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Also an excellent located hotel right in the middle of "everything", the same.

I've been kinda looking, but may 2025 it's too early to pick a hotel, just window shopping, I have over a year.

I've been looking on Priceline and a few hotels sites at some refundable hotels near the steps. The steps seem to be near a lot to see, though I'd like to see the Coliseum. My TA cant see the price yet for air 2 sea, or transfers should I want to book thru royal. .. june lol. In a few months I can book. If I need help I'll ask closer to then. 

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

The steps seem to be near a lot to see,

You'd like to be near the Pantheon. It's the "ground zero" for walking around.

This hotel is widely used by myself and many other cruisers and its location is spot on, with reasonable rates, for Rome, that is.

I only book on the official site for free cancellation.

https://www.argentinastylehotel.com/en/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

You'd like to be near the Pantheon. It's the "ground zero" for walking around.

This hotel is widely used by myself and many other cruisers and its location is spot on, with reasonable rates, for Rome, that is.

I only book on the official site for free cancellation.

https://www.argentinastylehotel.com/en/

I saved the site, it also says nothing found for may 2024 dates. Too early. 

Well I have the site saved. 

35 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

May 2024 or May 2025?

Argentina Residenza e m a i l . They're very responsive.

info  at  argentinaresidenza dot com

Might shoot them an email, asking when they'll open for bookings. They fill up quickly.

Ask for a room in the Main Building, that's where a very copious b'fast is served.

21 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

May 2024 or May 2025?

Argentina Residenza e m a i l . They're very responsive.

info  at  argentinaresidenza dot com

Might shoot them an email, asking when they'll open for bookings. They fill up quickly.

Ask for a room in the Main Building, that's where a very copious b'fast is served.

Sorry yes may 2025. End of may in fact. Ok thanks. 

20 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Rome, Rome, Rome

Both have interesting sites but there is much more to do in Rome. You can have a satisfying day in Athens but one day in Rome is just frustrating.

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Rome, Rome, Rome

Both have interesting sites but there is much more to do in Rome. You can have a satisfying day in Athens but one day in Rome is just frustrating.

My other friends stayed near those tivoli steps. So now I'm undecided which is better. I want to see both areas. 

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Do you mean the Spanish steps?

Yes. Do they have multiple names. Just asking as I might be confused if there are more famous steps in rome. My friends stayed near them and loved how close things were to walk to. Even meals and restaurants were close by.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Yes. Do they have multiple names. Just asking as I might be confused if there are more famous steps in rome. My friends stayed near them and loved how close things were to walk to. Even meals and restaurants were close by.

AFAIK the Spanish steps are the only 'famous' steps in Rome, except for possibly the "Scala Santa" -- the sacred stairs that are a draw for many religious visitors (info here).

The Spanish steps are somewhat well located, but not quite as convenient as the area around the Pantheon for someone looking for a good general location. The nearby vicinity is one of the highest end shopping areas in Rome, with famous Italian (and other) designers like Gucci, Prada, Tod's, Versace and the like. (There are no bargains, FYI...)  There are restaurants but not more than you'll find in the Pantheon area. 

The one "plus" for the Spanish steps area is the proximity of a metro line. That will get you to the Colosseum or Vatican with less walking, but not everyone is comfortable using it.

One note of warning: Be sure you check any hotel description regarding location of nearby sites. Hotels are fond of saying things like "located only steps from the Pantheon" when in reality they are a 20-minute walk away.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2024 at 5:01 PM, firefly333 said:

I have repeatedly stayed at The White Hotel. We love it. It’s a lovely, small boutique hotel literally down the street from the Trevi Fountain ( so easy to find again after a long day of touring). ( We just ask cab drivers to take us to the Trevi Fountain 🤣).

It’s also easy walking distance to most other attractions ( Spanish steps, pantheon). Just another alternative for you!