Will I be out of place wearing a tuxedo/dinner jacket on Evening Chic nights?

On 3/1/2024 at 1:14 PM, Club Eleven said:

Coming at this topic from perhaps a different direction than many! 😎

I totally understand that some don't like to go formal, or chafe at being required to do so, but I dig dressing up and rarely have occasion to nowadays. I'm on Equinix on a TA in April, and think it would be fun to dress formally on Evening Chic nights. I'm sailing solo, so it's just my own dressing preferences I need to consider (not a spouse, partner, etc). How many guys dress in a tux/dinner jacket on Evening Chic nights? How out of place would I be? 

I'm inclined to dress to the nines no matter what, just for the fun. But still interested to know how many other passengers do.

You do what you do and enjoy the attention you'll get from other 'solos'.....😉.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll continue to wear a tux' on future cruises. I took four on our 14 nighter two years ago! 

They are all slim fit and weigh less than a few pairs of jeans.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I applaud those who want to wear a tux and I was a suit and tie guy for 40 years (and brought a tux on cruises).  That said the OP asked if they would feel out of place wearing a tux and I would say unequivocally  'yes' with so few others doing this. Heck, I usually wear a sport coat on boarding (saving wrinkles in not packing and like the numerous pockets) and I feel out of sorts in the  real world of tee shirts and shorts which is universal boarding garb in warm weather ports. Even wearing a sport coat on normal dining nights with open dress shirt and dress loafers (oxymoron) seems unusually dressy. So you will be out of place with a tux..... it is certainly your call whether you and your partner are comfortable or not.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

I applaud those who want to wear a tux and I was a suit and tie guy for 40 years (and brought a tux on cruises).  That said the OP asked if they would feel out of place wearing a tux and I would say unequivocally  'yes' with so few others doing this. Heck, I usually wear a sport coat on boarding (saving wrinkles in not packing and like the numerous pockets) and I feel out of sorts in the  real world of tee shirts and shorts which is universal boarding garb in warm weather ports. Even wearing a sport coat on normal dining nights with open dress shirt and dress loafers (oxymoron) seems unusually dressy. So you will be out of place with a tux..... it is certainly your call whether you and your partner are comfortable or not.

I appreciate the perspective - in fact, the more I think about it, I think I will be pleased either way. If I'm "out of place" dressing to the nines, I think I would enjoy being that guy.  🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Club Eleven said:

I appreciate the perspective - in fact, the more I think about it, I think I will be pleased either way. If I'm "out of place" dressing to the nines, I think I would enjoy being that guy.  🙂

Thanks for your response. I see that you are cruising solo so how you dress may be influenced by if you are out trolling or just going for a boat ride:classic_biggrin:. Regardless I am sure manner of dress will and should not create any anxiety on a cruise vacation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Club Eleven said:

Why am I not surprised. 

On 3/6/2024 at 11:30 AM, Esprit said:

I'll continue to wear a tux' on future cruises. I took four on our 14 nighter two years ago! 

You have 4 tux's?

You are my new hero!!!!!

Elvis

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2024 at 2:51 PM, chisoxfan said:

That said the OP asked if they would feel out of place wearing a tux and I would say unequivocally  'yes' with so few others doing this. Heck, I usually wear a sport coat on boarding (saving wrinkles in not packing and like the numerous pockets) and I feel out of sorts in the  real world of tee shirts and shorts which is universal boarding garb in warm weather ports. Even wearing a sport coat on normal dining nights with open dress shirt and dress loafers (oxymoron) seems unusually dressy. So you will be out of place with a tux..... it is certainly your call whether you and your partner are comfortable or not.

I don't disagree, but I would add the OP will feel *less* out of place wearing a tux on chic night than on another night.

In other words, if you want to wear a tux, chic night is definitely the night to do it!

On 3/6/2024 at 10:30 AM, Esprit said:

OK, I'll bite. Assumed you are joking but did not see a smile imogi.  So on a 14 night cruise there are four formal nights. A white dinner jacket and a black tuxedo but the other two.... different colors, sequins...... I mean you have to be kidding. Different shoes also?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 10:05 PM, Elvis1209 said:

You have 4 tux's?

You are my new hero!!!!!

Elvis

You can pretty much tell the age of someone by the way they dress nowadays.  Is fun to dress up once in a while, but best not to overdo it.

We saw several tuxes on our Beyond Cruise in Feb.  There were also many people who dressed up with many guys wearing suit jackets.  Woman wore fancy dresses too.  They called it “dress your best”. For some obviously that was better than others!  Those that wore the clothes they wore into port were in the minority.