Will I be out of place wearing a tuxedo/dinner jacket on Evening Chic nights?

Coming at this topic from perhaps a different direction than many! 😎

I totally understand that some don't like to go formal, or chafe at being required to do so, but I dig dressing up and rarely have occasion to nowadays. I'm on Equinix on a TA in April, and think it would be fun to dress formally on Evening Chic nights. I'm sailing solo, so it's just my own dressing preferences I need to consider (not a spouse, partner, etc). How many guys dress in a tux/dinner jacket on Evening Chic nights? How out of place would I be? 

I'm inclined to dress to the nines no matter what, just for the fun. But still interested to know how many other passengers do.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

You will be fine and just wear whatever you wish and with which you are comfortable.  There will be others dressed similarly, but even if not, what difference would that make? You will look good and should be happy that you do.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 4

Over the past 4 cruises we have only seen 1 or 2 men in a tux on Chic night. However if it’s what you like to do, go for it.  I always like seeing people dressed up.  

• Like 3

When I have the luggage space, I take my formal gown and just enjoy dressing up without worrying too much about what others are wearing. There are always a few others that do the same so I’m not completely alone in attire. 

• Like 3

You still see a fair number of suits and jackets. I wore a dark emerald green velvet jacket on my last cruise. I also have a teal suit, a burgundy suit and a light pink jacket that I often take. I've never felt overdressed or out of place. Actual tuxedos will be far out numbered by suits, but don't let it hold you back. 

• Like 5

Last year I made the effort (not hard) and even accesorised with a white dress scarf. Because, why not.

I received a few positive comments, including 'looking dapper' So a positive experience.

I wasn't alone but I think I'm on the endangered list for sure. If it feels good, do it!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Club Eleven said:

How out of place would I be? 

Wear your tux, look and feel fabulous, and let the other 1400 or so men feel out of place.

• Like 14
  • Haha 5

I believe that more than a few are in coats/tie's/suits/ tuxedo's and military mess dress uniforms (military version of a tuxedo) for those so inclined.

Even with more than a few of us who dress up we are substantially outnumbered by those who dress more business casual.

The DW and I tend to dress up on many nights, just not chic. We are retired and live in a very rural area where dress clothes would be considered jeans without holes.... So this is the only opportunity we have to wear the nice clothes we have accumulated over the years.

The other thing is and I think its the most important - don't worry about what anyone else thinks about how you dress! If you are comfortable and happy to be in your attire - then wear it!!! At the same time those of us who do dress up should never complain about those who choose to dress more casual.

Note: The DW just stopped to read my post and wanted me to add that she always enjoys seeing men in tuxedo's or their military dress uniforms - oh and she's mine so don't even think about it:)

Cheers

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Club Eleven said:

I'm inclined to dress to the nines no matter what, just for the fun. But still interested to know how many other passengers

Absolutely, you will look great!!
To add:

On our recent cruise ( Equinox- Feb15-24 ) we noticed a few men in tuxedos— very nice — and happy to announce that there were no men or women dressed inappropriately or not observing the Dress Code on Chic night or any other night.

Mind you, there was a lady at a nearby table — loud, rude to her Server ( Septri ) who deserved to have a bowl of soup spilled on her by “ accident “. 

• Like 4

Go for it.     You may be in the minority but you will definitely see others in Tux and even some in Kilt's

Chic is designed to dress as formal as you wish.  

• Like 4

I still find the younger cruisers are the ones that dress up more. I've never taken a tux but almost always pack a suit and a second more casual jacket. Business casual and "golf shirts" don't work for me since I am neither doing business or playing golf onboard 🤵‍♂️I use it as an opportunity to wear things I wouldn't get a chance to wear at home even though my city (Chicago) can be pretty old school formal in some places. Have fun with it. You won't feel awkward.

• Like 3

I dress up every night and love glitter. I live in a pretty casual town so really don't get the opportunity to dress up like I did when I lived on the east coast. Husband doesn't wear a tux but he does wear a vest and tie.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Club Eleven said:

Coming at this topic from perhaps a different direction than many! 😎

I totally understand that some don't like to go formal, or chafe at being required to do so, but I dig dressing up and rarely have occasion to nowadays. I'm on Equinix on a TA in April, and think it would be fun to dress formally on Evening Chic nights. I'm sailing solo, so it's just my own dressing preferences I need to consider (not a spouse, partner, etc). How many guys dress in a tux/dinner jacket on Evening Chic nights? How out of place would I be? 

I'm inclined to dress to the nines no matter what, just for the fun. But still interested to know how many other passengers do.

Out of place, no. In the minority, yes. Do what you enjoy and don't worry about others. You'll probably not see these folks again post cruise. Have fun!

• Like 5

I always wear a tux on one of the nights.  Its not like I get an other opportunities to do so.  Plus DW and I get pictures take and it make a great memory.  I even buy a bowtie that matches my wifes dress!

• Like 3

on our last 2 cruises, we saw more men in jackets on “regular” dining nights and suits and jackets, a tux or two, on Chic night, than previous cruise.   Was nice to see the effort

• Like 3

We do not dress up.  However, the beauty of the dress code is that you can be as dressy as you would like. Not a lot of tuxes, but I definitely don't think you will look out of place, you will look elegant.

• Like 2

Since it is a TA, it is probably halfway between the typical Caribbean cruise and the typical European cruise. More tuxes on the latter than the former. It's also not a short cruise.

If you enjoy wearing your tux then you should wear your tux and not care what others are wearing. They really don't care what you are wearing either, but if anyone takes note of it, it will probably be in admiration that you went to the trouble. You do you.

• Like 5

You won’t be out of place. You may be rare, but so what. 

(Biting my tongue on finding you some nice bright orange accessories… 😀)

• Like 2