Is Seabourn still 6*?

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Apparently, they have now started with Mercier, which is supposed to be the largest selling champagne in France.

Thanks for confirming I hadn't imagined it 🙂.

1 hour ago, Astride said:

I'd much prefer a glass of fine red wine with quality cheese than a flute of cheap champagne with fish eggs.

In some areas/cultures that statement reeks of snob appeal, so not sure of your point.  Seabourn caters to your desire for wine and cheese as much as someone else might favor caviar and champagne.  Kudos to Seabourn.  Your w&c enjoyment in no way infringes on my c&c enjoyment.  

My partner grew up in the former Soviet Union with black and red caviar as part his upbringing; I grew up mainly in the U.S., but exposed to it at “special events” and developed a taste for it. That we both can enjoy a decent quality black caviar in various forms while onboard is really something special that we appreciate about Seabourn. It’s not snob appeal; we enjoy it for special times at home.  It’s how Seabourn makes things available that make your journey special, whatever it might be.  Many people pass on the caviar, so it’s not like there’s a caviar-obsessed crowd onboard or that it comes up any more than what cheese someone prefers.

That’s why the dialogue on CC that happens about the source, quality, or changes to suppliers of things like caviar, champagne, wines, or cheeses are fair game and matter. Having seen people get huffy about the lack of good red Bordeaux’s or how the cheese is not served at the right temperature, not seeing anything out of the norm here regarding caviar or champagne.  

38E935E5-C1C2-4D76-897F-9DE28FCD97AC.thumb.jpeg.4d11c82706888262d88e36d27489c16e.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

I had the opposite experience with 'French press', in that in the UK we call it a cafetiere, and only when a kind American at the next table explained it to me did we ask the waiter for the right thing.  Some staff are not used to them, and the first one we had was indeed pushed down at the table as soon as it arrived, rather than allowing us to wait the five minutes or so which I find necessary.  In recent years I have asked for a large cup with a double espresso in, topped up with regular coffee, which is a reasonably acceptable substitute and saves giving explanations to the waiters. (This in the Colonnade).

5 hours ago, lincslady said:

I had the opposite experience with 'French press', in that in the UK we call it a cafetiere, and only when a kind American at the next table explained it to me did we ask the waiter for the right thing.  Some staff are not used to them, and the first one we had was indeed pushed down at the table as soon as it arrived, rather than allowing us to wait the five minutes or so which I find necessary.  In recent years I have asked for a large cup with a double espresso in, topped up with regular coffee, which is a reasonably acceptable substitute and saves giving explanations to the waiters. (This in the Colonnade).

I like that combination and will give it a try :).  Our SB cruises are generally for quite a few weeks, so what usually happens is we find 1 or 2 Colonnade waiters that became our regular favorites (we simply sit in their sections).  It only takes 1 or 2 days until they know our preferences.  I guess that is just part of what makes Seabourn such as terrific cruise line.

Hank

• Like 4

12 hours ago, johng75370 said:

In some areas/cultures that statement reeks of snob appeal, so not sure of your point.  Seabourn caters to your desire for wine and cheese as much as someone else might favor caviar and champagne.  Kudos to Seabourn.  Your w&c enjoyment in no way infringes on my c&c enjoyment.  

My partner grew up in the former Soviet Union with black and red caviar as part his upbringing; I grew up mainly in the U.S., but exposed to it at “special events” and developed a taste for it. That we both can enjoy a decent quality black caviar in various forms while onboard is really something special that we appreciate about Seabourn. It’s not snob appeal; we enjoy it for special times at home.  It’s how Seabourn makes things available that make your journey special, whatever it might be.  Many people pass on the caviar, so it’s not like there’s a caviar-obsessed crowd onboard or that it comes up any more than what cheese someone prefers.

That’s why the dialogue on CC that happens about the source, quality, or changes to suppliers of things like caviar, champagne, wines, or cheeses are fair game and matter. Having seen people get huffy about the lack of good red Bordeaux’s or how the cheese is not served at the right temperature, not seeing anything out of the norm here regarding caviar or champagne.  

38E935E5-C1C2-4D76-897F-9DE28FCD97AC.thumb.jpeg.4d11c82706888262d88e36d27489c16e.jpeg

Personally, DW and I love the caviar and champagne on both Seabourn and Silversea. We also love people who don’t like it as it leaves more for us!!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Astride said:

I don't understand this obsession with caviar & champagne. Who cares? I'd much prefer a glass of fine red wine with quality cheese than a flute of cheap champagne with fish eggs. The only explanation I can come up with is that the combination has snob appeal.

So what you are saying is that you can’t understand why anyone would have different tastes in food (or maybe anything else) than you do. How sad for you😔 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, lincslady said:

In recent years I have asked for a large cup with a double espresso in, topped up with regular coffee, which is a reasonably acceptable substitute and saves giving explanations to the waiters. (This in the Colonnade).

I also didn't know they offer espresso in the dining venues. Thanks! Perhaps we need to compile a Seabourn Secret Menu. 

• Like 1

Well they used to in the Colonnade, but this is a few years ago.  I would like to think it is still available, I don't think they had to go to the Square to get it, as it did not take long to arrive and there was no sighing or saying it will take a while  about providing it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robisan said:

I also didn't know they offer espresso in the dining venues. Thanks! Perhaps we need to compile a Seabourn Secret Menu. 

I know friends often had espresso or double espresso in the MDR after dinner just a few weeks ago and I am sure it wouldn't be a problem at Colonnade either. I even recall one friend ordering an Affogatto after dinner by ordering an espresso and vanilla ice cream.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Woodrowst said:

So what you are saying is that you can’t understand why anyone would have different tastes in food (or maybe anything else) than you do. How sad for you😔 

I am perfectly ok with people having different tastes whether it be caviar or cheese, champagne or red wine. What I find ridiculous is that, judging by the number of times I read posts about caviar & champagne on SB, you would think that a lot of people are motivated to embark on a SB cruise due to the offering of caviar & champagne. There are far better reasons to book a SB cruise & I find this obsession annoying.

3 hours ago, Robisan said:

These two sentences are self-refuting. 

No, they are not contradictory. The first sentence expresses lack of understanding of an obsession. The second sentence expresses lack of empathy for that obsession. What I am saying is that, if one of the chief reasons for cruising on SB is the availability of free caviar & champagne, why not save yourself a lot of money & buy a large supply of caviar & champagne & stay home.

I get so annoyed by people who like champagne and caviar that it drives me mad. My knickers get in a knot, I get all hot and bothered, and steam comes out of my ears. What annoys me the most is the thought of that golden hued magic sparkling elixir being consumed with those tiny delicious balls of caviar. The only thing I can say is “Where and when can I get some!”

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Astride said:

No, they are not contradictory. The first sentence expresses lack of understanding of an obsession. The second sentence expresses lack of empathy for that obsession. What I am saying is that, if one of the chief reasons for cruising on SB is the availability of free caviar & champagne, why not save yourself a lot of money & buy a large supply of caviar & champagne & stay home.

I could not help but note that you posted this same kind of anti-caviar troll a year ago,  So, if this is March it must be your time to troll :).  Always fun to read this stuff on CC.  I will add that on the new Explora Journeys you will only find caviar in one of their 4 restaurants (Marble and Co) so you might prefer that line :).   Whatever floats your boat :).

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I could not help but note that you posted this same kind of anti-caviar troll a year ago,  So, if this is March it must be your time to troll :).  Always fun to read this stuff on CC.  I will add that on the new Explora Journeys you will only find caviar in one of their 4 restaurants (Marble and Co) so you might prefer that line :).   Whatever floats your boat :).

Better yet, there is no caviar on Carnival. But they do have bologna sandwiches and Kraft dinner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Astride said:

I am perfectly ok with people having different tastes whether it be caviar or cheese, champagne or red wine. What I find ridiculous is that, judging by the number of times I read posts about caviar & champagne on SB, you would think that a lot of people are motivated to embark on a SB cruise due to the offering of caviar & champagne. There are far better reasons to book a SB cruise & I find this obsession annoying.

You are doing it again.  You are saying that you can’t understand why anyone would have different reasons than you do for booking a cruise.  I apologize for repeating myself, but again, how sad 😔 

Edited by Woodrowst
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Better yet, there is no caviar on Carnival. But they do have bologna sandwiches and Kraft dinner.

You just proved my point with this post. And it appears that CC removed your post about Kansas.

23 hours ago, Astride said:

I find this obsession annoying.

There is an obsession I think most folks here find quite annoying, and it's not that there are people who like caviar.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Astride said:

You just proved my point with this post. And it appears that CC removed your post about Kansas.

I’d like to chat with you more, but I’m running late to meet some friends for champagne and caviar, over which we shall choose our next cruise. 😀

• Haha 4