Leatherman

I am flying Delta and cruising Holland America.  Will I be able to carry my Leatherman Multi Tool with a 3" blade? If so, could I put it in my carry-on for both plane and ship?

Thanks

Yum Yum Man, now Leatherman? 

What kind of cruise is this?

(And you absolutely cannot bring any kind of knife onto an airplane. I don’t know how strict ships are in comparison but if you like your multitool I’d leave it at home just to be safe. You will not be called upon to repair the boat)

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

You can’t bring that blade on a plane so why think you can take it on a  cruise ship?

check the prohibited items list on the “Know Before you go”

I believe the limit for SCISSORS is 4”.  I don’t believe knives are allowed on board and why in heavens name would they be needed?

Spare yourself of the luggage going to the naughty room or possibly not being able to board.

• Like 2

I had a leatherman in my checked bag boarding, either Celebrity Infinity or Millie, and it was detected. I had to go to the naughty room and open my bag. My leatherman was confiscated and returned to me at the end of the cruise. I no longer take it on cruises.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If for some unknown reason you ever need one of the tools in the multi tool, you can always call maintenance to do whatever it is you need to do.   Leave your tools at home.  Its a holiday

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, retird said:

If for some unknown reason you ever need one of the tools in the multi tool, you can always call maintenance to do whatever it is you need to do.   Leave your tools at home.  Its a holiday

This happened to me. There were a couple of loose screws in a cupboard door which I could have easily fixed but had to call maintenance.

Blades ARE allowed, QUOTE sharp blades over two and half inches long are prohibited UNQUOTE - this is from the FAQ Know Before You Go on the HAL website. We always carry a small folding knife with a 2.5" blade, as we tend to buy a lot of local fruits when ashore at the various ports, particularly at the Asian ports. The knives at the Lido are really blunt "butter knives" of sorts, and unless you can pocket a sharp steak knife, those are useless for fruits.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, asebastian said:

Blades ARE allowed, QUOTE sharp blades over two and half inches long are prohibited UNQUOTE - this is from the FAQ Know Before You Go on the HAL website. We always carry a small folding knife with a 2.5" blade, as we tend to buy a lot of local fruits when ashore at the various ports, particularly at the Asian ports. The knives at the Lido are really blunt "butter knives" of sorts, and unless you can pocket a sharp steak knife, those are useless for fruits.

Edited by colbe

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, colbe said:

blade of 3 inch length

Will probably be picked up in the x-ray...

I was really making a point to those who said no knives or blades are allowed on board.

Edited by asebastian
  • Like 1

I take a Leatherman multitool, but it has a 2.5 inch blade. That seems to be the sweet spot for carrying without getting into trouble

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retird said:

My DHs Leatherman was confiscated when we boarded.  We had one very rough night on the cruise with several slamming closet doors that did not latch properly.  We tried towels and tying them shut.  All he kept saying was,”If I had my Leatherman , I could fix this problem.”  I doubt maintenance would have assisted us at 2 am.  We found it amusing that it was returned to us the day before we disembarked.  I guess they didn’t think it would cause any harm during the last 24 hours of the cruise. BTW, the blade on his Leatherman is 2.6 inches according to the company literature.  The rule on HAL 2.5 inches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

I take a Leatherman multitool, but it has a 2.5 inch blade. That seems to be the sweet spot for carrying without getting into trouble

Thank you.  I originally said the blade was 3" but I was mistaken.  In fact, it is 2.5"

• Like 1

The following list is provided to assist in determining what items are not allowed onboard without a valid, lawful reason.

This is not an all-inclusive list, and there may be other items found at the Security screening area that may be dangerous and that should not be allowed onboard.

• All firearms including non-firing weapons. An exception to this rule is law enforcement agents acting in an official capacity and certified armed security guards acting in an official capacity (with full permission of the ship’s Master).
  • All forms of ammunition, explosive materials and propellants, projectiles of all kinds, cartridges. 
  • All imitation or replica weapons including de-commissioned weapons, those not capable of being fired and realistic imitation/toy weapons.
  • Air/Pellet guns or any other variety of projectile firing weapon.
  • Stun Guns, Tasers or any other electroshock device.
  • All explosives and explosive device components including but not limited to military, civilian and safety devices, detonators, detonation cords, blasting caps, smoke cartridges, grenades, mines, imitation explosives/devices.
  • Fireworks, Flares and Pyrotechnics
  • Knives (with a blade over 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches), or 1.25 cm (½ inch) at widest point). bladed weapons, sharp pointed weapons, daggers, sabers, swords, axes, ice axes, hatchets, straight razors (shaving safety razors are allowed), razor blades not in a cartridge, box cutters, ice picks, meat cleavers, and utility knives, (unless specifically authorized for personnel who in the normal course of their duties on board the ship require to be in possession of a knife with a more substantial blade i.e. Gallery Staff and Deck Ratings).
  • Flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades or lock knives. Small locking pocket-knife with blade lengths less than 6.35 cm (2 ½ inches) and widths ½ inch or less are allowed. 
  • Concealed bladed weapons such as belt buckles knives, cane and umbrella knives/swords, pen knives and credit card knives.
  • Recreational Diver’s Knives unless accompanied by other diving/snorkeling equipment and a valid diving ID card/license (must be held in the custody of the Security Officer). Dive knives may be checked out/in by the owner for dive excursions during the cruise whereby 24 hours’ notice is provided.
  • Diver’s spears and spear guns/slings.
  • Ceremonial knives/swords as well as entertainment props are at times permitted with prior notification from the Fleet Security Department (must be held on-board in the same manner as dive knives).
  • Scissors with blades longer than 4 inches.
  • Telescopic or regular truncheons/batons/clubs/coshes/nightsticks/billy clubs/blow pipes/ASPs and or any other item made, adapted or intended for use as an offensive weapon.
  • Archery equipment including crossbows and bolts.
  • Catapults
  • Martial Arts Equipment including flails, throwing stars, nunchakus/nunchucks, kubatons, bostaff, etc.
  • Knuckle dusters, brass knuckles, or any other item constructed for use as a weapon in hand-to-hand combat.
  • Stun Guns, Tasers or any other electroshock device.
  • Handcuffs
  • Items containing Incapacitating Substances such as gas guns, tear gas sprays, pepper/mace cartridges, phosphorus, acid and other dangerous chemicals that could be used to maim or disable.
  • Flammable liquids and hazardous chemicals/substances including gasoline/petrol, cooking fuel, acid, spill able batteries (except those in wheelchairs), phosphorous, oil, lighter fluid (common lighters are permitted), methylated spirits, paint thinners, acid, turpentine, spray paint, chlorine, bleach, spray paint and any other dangerous chemicals that could burn, maim, incapacitate or disable.
  • Compressed gas bottles/cylinders including propane tanks and aerosol cans (except for personal care or toiletries in limited quantities). Dive Tanks are not permitted, empty or full. Medical gas bottles are allowed in connection with a certified medical condition but cannot be packed in baggage. Oxygen cylinders must be delivered to the Purser’s Office and stored in a designated safe area. Oxygen cylinders are not x-rayed.
  • Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote-controlled aerial devices/toys. (The exception is when permitted for company sponsored events when approved in advance by Fleet Security).
  • Any other item made, adapted or intended for use as a weapon.
  • Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches.
  • Items brought on board the vessel and not supplied by the Company containing any kind of heating element, such as but not limited to: immersion heaters, heating blankets, flat irons, water heaters, coffee machines with heating / hot plates, etc.
  • Alcohol in violation of the company alcohol policy.
  • All illegal drugs, , including medications without proper prescriptions. • This includes legal intoxicant synthetic or “designer” drugs also known as “Legal Highs” such as Lysergamides, Opioids, Methoxetamine, Synthetic Cannabis, Betel Nuts or Kava (Cava).
  • Medical Marijuana
  • Poisons
  • Noxious Items
  • Baseball bats, hockey sticks, cricket bats, lacrosse sticks, pool cues, ski poles, and skateboards.
  • Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB), Ham radios, transformers, lasers, laser pointers.
  • Bicycles, including electric bicycles.
  • Tools of trade/hobby including any type of hand or power tool. This includes hammers, drills, drill bits, crow bars, saws, power saws, chef/cooking knives/utensils, tools greater than 7 inches in length such as screwdrivers, wrenches and pliers (unless prior authorization is provided by Corporate Headquarters and strict controls are maintained on-board).
  • Surfboards - (Boogie boards no longer than 42 inches in length are allowed).
  • Boats/canoes/kayaks.
  • Coolers, only coolers approximately 12 x 12 x 12 in size (holds 6-12 cans of non-alcoholic beverages) are allowed. Guests carrying larger sizes will be directed to return them to their vehicle. If the guest is without a vehicle, the cooler will be destroyed in the same manner as other prohibited items.
    • Exception: if the cooler is larger and contains baby food/formula, kosher food/special dietary food or medication - these must be hand-carried. Coolers cannot be accepted as checked baggage. Whenever there is doubt an embarkation supervisor or shipboard personnel can be contacted to make the decision.
  • Scooters (only permitted if used for mobility), Segway’s (only permitted ashore if used for mobility limitations – cannot be used onboard the ship), Heely Shoes, Hoverboards/self-balancing scooters.

*    Electrical devices such as small fans, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, power strips/extension cords with surge protectors.

The above list is not exhaustive. 

The SSO/Staff Captain are authorized to make a professional judgment as to the legality of any item declared, detected or discovered on board.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/plan-a-cruise/get-ready-for-your-cruise/faq#prohibited-items

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pboyd said:

I am flying Delta and cruising Holland America.  Will I be able to carry my Leatherman Multi Tool with a 3" blade? If so, could I put it in my carry-on for both plane and ship?

Thanks

I was mistaken.  It is in fact a 2.5" blade.

35 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Why would any one need to carry a leatherman on vacation??

Repair busted suitcases and or locks would be one. Repair electrical/electronic gadgets we all seem to need. Fix or adjust bicycles, scooters, and mobility aids. There would be more but these just quickly came to mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Repair busted suitcases and or locks would be one. Repair electrical/electronic gadgets we all seem to need. Fix or adjust bicycles, scooters, and mobility aids. There would be more but these just quickly came to mind.

I'm 76 years old, have travelled all over the world & have never had the need for one. Maybe I'm just lucky. I do carry one at home sometimes. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pboyd said:

Thanks

People come on this message board for help, not to be lampooned by fellow cruisers. 

Simple answer is NO to the leatherman. because of the blade and the saw! Leave it at home.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I had a leatherman in my checked bag boarding, either Celebrity Infinity or Millie, and it was detected. I had to go to the naughty room and open my bag. My leatherman was confiscated and returned to me at the end of the cruise. I no longer take it on cruises.

Me too

I've successfully brought on (on Princess) my Micro Leatherman, that has a blade about 1.5" long.  I bring it in my luggage.  I've even carried it ashore and brought it back on the ship when re-boarding (albeit with questions from onshore security but not on-ship security).  It has never been confiscated.  Multi-tools always come in handy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For those who have their tool boxes confiscated or have forgotten to bring them, you can generally have personal items repaired by the cruise staff - buttons sewed on, seams restitched, luggage repaired, screws tightened, etc.

• Like 1