Just got off Pride of America fabulous Hawaii cruise!!!

Our first time to Hawaii and it was fabulous! It was me and my husband. We are in our early 50s. 

Ship is in really good condition and even though it's a smaller ship, we didn't really notice because we were so busy at the ports. We did feel a lot of motion but it does not bother us.

We flew in 2 days prior and stayed near Waikiki beach. Went to Pearl Harbor and also hiked Diamond Head and spent some time at the beach watching all of the surfers!

Ports

Maui day 1 - Healakala crater - beautiful! We had a clear day so the views were amazing.

Maui day 2 - went to a beach (can't remember the name). Saw 9 big turtles on the beach. So fun!

Hilo - Volcanoes National Park. It was a little rainy at times but still a great day seeing the crater!

Kona - Big Island snorkel tour.  Saw whales, a shark, dolphins, and a cute sea turtle. Great tour! Expensive but worth it!

Kauai day 1 -  Luau Kalamaku. Amazing and fun time! Definitely a must do! We did premium seating and it was worth it. We were right in front.

Kauai day 2 - Wimea Canyon. Beautiful! We had a clear day so we had amazing views!

We did not see any shows but we watched a lot of music and hung out at the bars in the evenings. We were too tired to go to the shows.  Lol 😂 

We can't wait to go back to Hawaii again!!

If anyone has specific questions let me know!

• Like 8

We are leaving Thursday, 3/7, to join the cruise on 3/9.  Wondering if there was a 'white night' where everyone wears white.  I thought I saw that somewhere in the posts.  We're so looking forward to this cruise.

• Like 1

So glad you had a wonderful time! We love the itinerary and the POA; we've sailed on her twice and our experience was the same as yours. The crew and officers were amazing - the Captain even took our photo one day when we were sitting in the hallway by the MDR and he happened to pass by! Last time we sailed was 11/22 and there was a White Night at that time. Would love to go again one day soon.

• Like 1

My very first cruise was on Pride of America!  I loved it so much I took it 3 more times and we are looking at going again.  

• Like 2

You stated that you went to Pearl Harbor . Did NCL take you to the floating museum ? (i think that is what it is called). Did you book the 2 days prior with NCL ? Thanks for any information.

Cindy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CindyS9163 said:

You stated that you went to Pearl Harbor . Did NCL take you to the floating museum ? (i think that is what it is called). Did you book the 2 days prior with NCL ? Thanks for any information.

Cindy

The NCL tour does not include a visit to the Arizona Memorial.

I'm guessing that's what you mean by floating museum.

This is one of the reasons I do not recommend using them for this tour.

I also do not like their pre-cruise option. Its easy - no planning to do. But, it's over-priced and puts you in a hotel that is not in the most prime location. You can do much better on your own.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We went on the POA in 2008. Flew in, spent a week, got on the ship and flew home after. Went back in 2018 with friends. Again flew in for a week before, did the ship, stayed an additional 5 days on Kona then flew home. 

The ship was pretty worn and tattered the second time but we pretty much just ate and slept there so no biggie.  I do think it's a great, maybe even the best way to see the islands.  Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 4:59 AM, www3traveler said:

Glad you had a wonderful time.

Do you by any chance remember who the ship officers were?

I'm sorry but I don't recall the names.

On 3/3/2024 at 12:48 PM, KatieMcGee said:

We are leaving Thursday, 3/7, to join the cruise on 3/9.  Wondering if there was a 'white night' where everyone wears white.  I thought I saw that somewhere in the posts.  We're so looking forward to this cruise.

I can't remember! I will check the freestyle dailies. I saved them all.

On 3/4/2024 at 6:18 AM, TSUmom said:

My very first cruise was on Pride of America!  I loved it so much I took it 3 more times and we are looking at going again.  

Wow, lucky you! We want to do it again. It was amazing!

23 hours ago, CindyS9163 said:

Cindy

We did Pearl Harbor on our own.  We bought tickets online as you need to reserve them.  They weren't much, maybe a few dollars each.  The ferry takes you out to the USS Arizona floating memorial.  P.S. if you go, don't bring a bag or purse or they will make you check it for a $7 fee. :(

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

Glad it went well.

Do they still have the good wood fired pizza in buffet?

Yes, it's really good. One of the best we've had lately on a cruise.

17 hours ago, Royally Ready to cruise said:

interested in where you stayed pre cruise. So happy you had a great time😊

We stayed at Hyatt Centric Waikiki beach. Excellent location - walk to everything including beach. The hotel is nice, clean, and the staff were friendly and welcoming.  The hotel provides beach chairs which is nice.  We would definitely stay there again.  It is not beachfront - a few blocks off the beach.

I just got off the same sailing.

Yes, there was a white night glow party, but I don't recall which night, since we didn't do anything on the ship. 

You can bring small bags to Pearl Harbor, they just have to be entirely clear and see-through with the ability to see everything you have inside them.

Captain was Jozo Zglav

Staff Captain Slade Matthews

Chief Engineer Lindsay Smith

General Manager Dustin Brown

Chief Officer Benjamin Ross

Randi Radja restaurant manager

and that's what I recall

I agree that the ship is old, but not in terrible condition. The food quality was acceptable, although they didn't do as well with food allergy as other NCL ships I've been on. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mac66 said:

We went on the POA in 2008. Flew in, spent a week, got on the ship and flew home after. Went back in 2018 with friends. Again flew in for a week before, did the ship, stayed an additional 5 days on Kona then flew home. 

The ship was pretty worn and tattered the second time but we pretty much just ate and slept there so no biggie.  I do think it's a great, maybe even the best way to see the islands.  Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Interesting.  Ship had major drydock March 2016.

On 3/5/2024 at 6:41 AM, dexddd said:

Glad it went well.

Do they still have the good wood fired pizza in buffet?

17 hours ago, TeresaJ said:

Yes, it's really good. One of the best we've had lately on a cruise.

Wait a minute...

Wood fired pizza?

A wood fire - on a cruise ship?

What's wrong with that picture?

😲

On last month's cruise there were a few few ovens right behind the buffet counter - no logs in sight.