Is anyone concerned about going to Amber Cove because of the 4000 inmates released in Haiti?

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Royal Caribbean is still porting IN Haiti. Labadee. A private port leased by Royal. In must be safe. 🙂

Or they just want the moola. 

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 11:16 AM, sgttami said:

I'd be more afraid of walking through Times Square these days and I grew up in New York!

Sadly, you are correct….another topic for another day….

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

It has not been good there for a LONG LONG time, like before papa doc and baby doc ruined their side of the island.  Being isolated on cruise ship ports makes it somewhat better, but certainly not a good thing.

On 3/4/2024 at 12:27 PM, Jeafl said:

Granted they are 2 different countries, but they share the same small island.  It's not a stretch to imagine that some of these inmates may make their way over to the Dominican Republic.  It will probably be okay in the immediate port area, but I don't know if I would venture too far from there.

Here's a link to the story: https://www.foxnews.com/world/armed-gangs-jailbreak-4000-inmates-haiti-days-long-gun-battle-police

I sometimes wonder if people think before they post on here. 

A. it is a different country.

B. Amber cove is a private area with security that Carnival employes as it is CCL's private owned area. 

• Haha 1

Amber Cove is a stop on my next cruise.  I had been looking at a beach excursion for myself and Grandchildren.  Now looking at the news and reading the articles, I’m hoping they have us stop somewhere else.  Half Moon Cay or Grand Turk could be options.  We already have 3 sea days so would not like another.  

As I'm British, I've looked at the UK Foreign Office advice about travel to Dominican Republic. The only area where there is a warning is around the border with Haiti, where criminals posing as police officers is a crime risk. Other than that, it's the usual common sense warnings about crime, security, weather etc. We are due to go to Amber Cove and La Romana in April on the Horizon and probably won't venture out of the port area. 

To be honest, I'm more worried about crime in Miami before we cruise! 

7 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

B. Amber cove is a private area with security that Carnival employes as it is CCL's private owned area. 

People who routinely break the law (and escape from prison en masse) would never cross over a border between two countries on the same island....😦  or go into a privately owned area 😦....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, vwgolf2 said:

As I'm British, I've looked at the UK Foreign Office advice about travel to Dominican Republic. The only area where there is a warning is around the border with Haiti, where criminals posing as police officers is a crime risk. Other than that, it's the usual common sense warnings about crime, security, weather etc. We are due to go to Amber Cove and La Romana in April on the Horizon and probably won't venture out of the port area. 

To be honest, I'm more worried about crime in Miami before we cruise! 

One does not have to go far from the port area in Miami to be in an area that could be an issue.....sadly.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Perhaps comprehension isn't your strong suit.  If you go back and look you will see that I acknowledged that it was two different countries.  Perhaps you are unaware that they are on the same island though, and it may not be that difficult to move from one end of the island to another.  After all, they did manage to escape from prison.

Also, it is not mandatory that you stay in Amber Cove, which I also addressed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

People who routinely break the law (and escape from prison en masse) would never cross over a border between two countries on the same island....😦  or go into a privately owned area 😦....

Except crossing said boarder is incredibly hard. 

2 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

But I hope 4,000 prisoners escaping prison is also "incredibly hard."

But I am not worried about it.  We are low-risk targets.

10 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

But I hope 4,000 prisoners escaping prison is also "incredibly hard."

But I am not worried about it.  We are low-risk targets.

I think the point is no-one is saying not to go, but to be aware.  I cannot think of a place we decided not to travel to because of heightened security other than one (the Holy Land),  But all should def understand and take reasonable precautions when traveling to some of these areas.  

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 11:16 AM, sgttami said:

I'd be more afraid of walking through Times Square these days and I grew up in New York!

NYC last year had 4.5 murders per 100,000 people.

Haiti last year had 42 murders per 100,000 people.

NYC had 386 murders last year. If they had a murder rate equal to Haiti - it would have been 3,570.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

500,000 Haitians live in DR, and DR deported 170,000 Haitians in 2022.

Haitians are 5% of the population in DR.

Zero chance I'd get off the ship for Haiti now, and it's not about living in fear, it's simple risk/reward. I can have a below average beach day in a port that's honestly a sub-tier version of Coco-Cay, with the downside of finding myself cut of from the ship if gangs storm the gate and try to take hostages.

Likely to happen? No. Then again, I bet if I took bets that gangs would overrun a prison everyone would have said that's insane, why would they even try?

Yet here we are.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Paelos said:

Zero chance I'd get off the ship for Haiti now, and it's not about living in fear, it's simple risk/reward. I can have a below average beach day in a port that's honestly a sub-tier version of Coco-Cay, with the downside of finding myself cut of from the ship if gangs storm the gate and try to take hostages.

Likely to happen? No. Then again, I bet if I took bets that gangs would overrun a prison everyone would have said that's insane, why would they even try?

Yet here we are.

You are making a choice that fits for you.  A perfect example of what we all should do with knowledge gained.  Not the ultimate beach port by most standards, which makes sense to to take into account,  There is not right or wrong answer.

Edited by jimbo5544

Agree, that's the nature of risk analysis. It's not an acceptable risk for me, would be for others. I wouldn't have a problem with the ship stopping there if people wanted to get off and I just hung out on deck looking for fires in the distance.