So Far Carnival is Winning vs NCL

18 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Trust me they really do think they are free.  

You are not wrong. and I have sailed on NCL more than once. Free At Sea is brilliant, but pure marketing and not the deal NCL wants you to think. I will say one good thing about NCL is they aren't Royal. and they offered some interesting itineraries that Carnival didn't offer. That NCL doesn't cut off alcohol at 15 drinks is not a favorable selling point with me. I think it is safe to say most people don't consume 15 drinks each and every day of a cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I'm confused. Why would anyone think they were getting drinks for free? 

Ummm

Get More with Free At Sea

Enrich your cruise vacation with up to 6 Free Offers with Norwegian's Free At Sea promotion. Choose from Free Unlimited Open Bar, Free Specialty Dining, Free Airfare for 2nd Guest, Free Shore Excursions, Free WiFi and Free 3rd & 4th Guests.

https://www.ncl.com/

33 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Trust me they really do think they are free.  

I guess “included” is proper terminology. That doesn’t stop John heald from talking about all of the free or complimentary items on carnival. Unfortunately none of those items are alcohol.

• Like 2

Just now, BlerkOne said:

Ummm

Enrich your cruise vacation with up to 6 Free Offers with Norwegian's Free At Sea promotion. Choose from Free Unlimited Open Bar, Free Specialty Dining, Free Airfare for 2nd Guest, Free Shore Excursions, Free WiFi and Free 3rd & 4th Guests.

Oh yeah. It’s not all free. Especially the excursion one and the internet. The free internet is only 150 minutes which is useless. The  $50 off excursions is nice and you can use it as many times as you want. I used it 7 times in Alaska. I know what you’re thinking. Mark excursions up $50 then give them $50 off. But when things like the trams in Juneau and ISP are $50 and you get them for free, it’s hard to dispute the discount.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Ummm

I guess if you took it literally but I find it hard to believe with the tipping culture being out of control anyone really thinks they will get something without paying a gratuity. I guess there are people who don't believe if it's too good to be true it probably is but I wouldn't make a blanket statement and group anyone thinking free at sea is a great deal as gullible.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Oh yeah. It’s not all free. Especially the excursion one and the internet. The free internet is only 150 minutes which is useless. The  $50 off excursions is nice and you can use it as many times as you want. I used it 7 times in Alaska. I know what you’re thinking. Mark excursions up $50 then give them $50 off. But when things like the trams in Juneau and ISP are $50 and you get them for free, it’s hard to dispute the discount.

The discount can be real, true. And, as you know, NCL does mark up some excursions.

The bar is not truly unlimited - you are limited in what alcohol is included.

None of it is really free. If you push NCL, especially closer to a cruise, you can get a lower price if you refuse all of their marketing gimmicks. You don't really have to push if you book a sailaway cabin which includes none of it,but you can do better.

3 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I guess if you took it literally but I find it hard to believe with the tipping culture being out of control anyone really thinks they will get something without paying a gratuity. I guess there are people who don't believe if it's too good to be true it probably is but I wouldn't make a blanket statement and group anyone thinking free at sea is a great deal as gullible.

What about gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Instead NCL has their Service Charge.

What is the onboard service charge?

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much are the service charges?

For bookings made on or after January 1, 2023:

• $25.00 USD per person per day for The Haven and Suites;
  • $20.00 USD per person per day for Club Balcony Suite and below;

All of it is baloney sandwich marketing.

• Like 1

Just now, BlerkOne said:

The discount can be real, true. And, as you know, NCL does mark up some excursions.

The bar is not truly unlimited - you are limited in what alcohol is included.

None of it is really free. If you push NCL, especially closer to a cruise, you can get a lower price if you refuse all of their marketing gimmicks. You don't really have to push if you book a sailaway cabin which includes none of it,but you can do better.

It’s like you aren’t reading what I post. Everything on the left is included. Which I think covers most people. 

IMG_5996.thumb.jpeg.21d68e08595ceef1d7af6153f12126cd.jpeg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

What about gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Instead NCL has their Service Charge.

What is the onboard service charge?

Why is there a service charge?
The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports.

How much are the service charges?

For bookings made on or after January 1, 2023:

• $25.00 USD per person per day for The Haven and Suites;
  • $20.00 USD per person per day for Club Balcony Suite and below;

All of it is baloney sandwich marketing.

If you read the whole thread you would’ve read where I mentioned the $20 gratuities. They also charge that every day instead of the big one at the end.

• Like 2

Just now, Saint Greg said:

It’s like you aren’t reading what I post. Everything on the left is included. Which I think covers most people. 

IMG_5996.thumb.jpeg.21d68e08595ceef1d7af6153f12126cd.jpeg

Everything on the right, isn't. So there are limitations. What about bottled water or specialty coffee?

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

If you read the whole thread you would’ve read where I mentioned the $20 gratuities. They also charge that every day instead of the big one at the end.

According to NCL, those are service charges. NCL covers gratuities elsewhere. Marketing 101.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

According to NCL, those are service charges. NCL covers gratuities elsewhere. Marketing 101.

I'm still confused lol. All I know is I love Carnival and NCL and book which one has better value to me overall.

I just don't get the blanket statements, like the one that you will pay for the free at sea with an inflated base fare.

I went back to my notes way back when I was researching for my May Alaska cruise. As you can see the base fare prices are quite comparable.

NCL Encore $779 pp

Spirit $629 pp

Luminosa $754 pp

Once I added in the free at sea it became a no brainer which was the better value.

I wouldn't blanket statement say it will be be NCL for the win every time just as I wouldn't blanket statement say it won't be🤷

IMG_20240310_151410428_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Everything on the right, isn't. So there are limitations. What about bottled water or specialty coffee?

That’s right. And if you want the stuff in the right you can get it along with internet and additional specialty dining for $300. Still cheaper than just the carnival drink package. 

I did the upgrade last year but didn’t really use the stuff on the right. If you read the thread you’d know this. I’m considering not doing the upgrade next time.

On NCL they call specialty coffee Starbucks because that’s what it is. It’s on the right side.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I guess “included” is proper terminology. That doesn’t stop John heald from talking about all of the free or complimentary items on carnival. Unfortunately none of those items are alcohol.

Do not disagree, but that is his job. 

53 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I'm still confused lol. All I know is I love Carnival and NCL and book which one has better value to me overall.

I just don't get the blanket statements, like the one that you will pay for the free at sea with an inflated base fare.

I went back to my notes way back when I was researching for my May Alaska cruise. As you can see the base fare prices are quite comparable.

NCL Encore $779 pp

Spirit $629 pp

Luminosa $754 pp

Once I added in the free at sea it became a no brainer which was the better value.

I wouldn't blanket statement say it will be be NCL for the win every time just as I wouldn't blanket statement say it won't be🤷

IMG_20240310_151410428_HDR.jpg

Options and choices are a good thing.  

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Do not disagree, but that is his job. 

Really no different than what you said about NCL. Probably a cheaper campaign to have a guy posting it on Facebook. 

In the end what really matters is NCL comes out cheaper in all categories except gratuities. Maybe internet if you buy it without the bundle.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Really no different than what you said about NCL. Probably a cheaper campaign to have a guy posting it on Facebook. 

In the end what really matters is NCL comes out cheaper in all categories except gratuities. Maybe internet if you buy it without the bundle.

My last comment on the topic and I will move on. To me, John is a brand spokesperson, doing his job.  NCL advertises to every single client that way John hits a minority certainly under 25%.  If NCL hits the mark for someone great, everybody makes choices.    

This has been such an interesting thread. I am following the carnival boards because after 30+ years of cruising I am taking my first Carnival cruise ever in 2 weeks. I have cruised on HAL (3 star mariner), RCCL (5 cruises), NCL (platinum), MSC, Costa, Celebrity, and Princess but never Carnival. This is primarily due to two reasons. My initial TA who knew me well said that Carnival was not the best fit for our family (this was 30 years ago) and I just never booked with them, the second reason was that I like port days over sea days and most of the 7 day Carnival cruises only offered 3 port days.

So why Carnival now? I am taking a spring break trip with my daughter and her oldest son - the 3 yr old is staying home with dad. My daughter loves Carnival and this was the cruise she choose. I'm very much looking forward to trying something new. She loves the "fun" of the ship, the food selections and she very much likes comics for entertainment.

How does this fit into this discussion? Well I've been looking at the drink packages - cheers. I am used to the NCL included drinks and specialty dining - paying the gratuities - and there are times I question if I even drink enough to come out ahead paying the gratuities. My daughter may drink a little more than I do, but we can bring on a couple bottles of wine and get a couple buckets of beer and with four port stops we would never drink enough to get the cheers package. I like the drink package, I never worry about how much I'm spending and if I should have another, but I know I won't even get close to $1000 (for 2).

I always book by itinerary, dates and value. Have never been in a suite or private area. Book what you want, enjoy whatever cruise you take.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Perhaps for you. Not when I shop. I would recommend everyone do their own research.

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

My last comment on the topic and I will move on. To me, John is a brand spokesperson, doing his job.  NCL advertises to every single client that way John hits a minority certainly under 25%.  If NCL hits the mark for someone great, everybody makes choices.    

I’m curious how you feel about John constantly taking shots at cruise critic. Leading his minions to believe this website is evil.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

because it's true? NCL tells you about sail away fares

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-deals/sail-away-rates

I have only once seen a sail away fare offered, it's always sold out as are solo cabins, I'm usually a last minute type booker. But the one time I saw it offered it was $49 less than the sail away fare.