So Far Carnival is Winning vs NCL

Just now, LatinaInTexas said:

I have only once seen a sail away fare offered, it's always sold out as are solo cabins, I'm usually a last minute type booker. But the one time I saw it offered it was $49 less than the sail away fare.

It's almost always "sold out" for any cabin. NCL wants to push you into the higher fares.

2 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I have only once seen a sail away fare offered, it's always sold out as are solo cabins, I'm usually a last minute type booker. But the one time I saw it offered it was $49 less than the sail away fare.

I meant to say the free at sea was $49 less than the sail away fare 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m curious how you feel about John constantly taking shots at cruise critic. Leading his minions to believe this website is evil.

Do you seriously not see some here taking pot shots at him? Or spreading false rumors, if not lies, ad naseum that occupy so much of his time in trying to squash?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I’m curious how you feel about John constantly taking shots at cruise critic. Leading his minions to believe this website is evil.

John is a quality guy even to some here who bash him (I can give details of you want).  . Some here think we are close, but just know him casually.  There has been splinter groups on here and on FB who made it their duty to maKe his life miserable. Again, off line I could give details.  Does he play it on his FB page? Sure.  

• Like 1

Like mentioned everyone should do their own research and book what works for them. Without judgement would be nice. It seems no cruise line is doing it right, I see more people leaving their previous cruise line of choice to explore other cruise lines more than ever. Everyone can be a winner at the end of the day by having a great cruise no matter what ship or cruise line it's on.

• Like 2

Many years ago when they first started the Free at Sea drinks it was Free for the first 2 guests in the room, with no gratuities charged. Yes, the sail away rate was generally less expensive than the lowest level allowing you to pick your own cabin, (most lines offer a lower rate if they can pick your cabin) but it was really a good deal.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Unlike Carnival, NCL and PCL have the dining room open for lunch. And for buffet people ( I am not one) the Princess buffet is not to be missed. I went through it one day. It’s as big as carnival’s but every station was in use and they were all unique. The options were incomparable.

I have no dog in this fight but I should mention the MDR was open for lunch every sea day on my last Carnival Pride cruise February 17-25, 2024.

7 minutes ago, vswan said:

Many years ago when they first started the Free at Sea drinks it was Free for the first 2 guests in the room, with no gratuities charged. Yes, the sail away rate was generally less expensive than the lowest level allowing you to pick your own cabin, (most lines offer a lower rate if they can pick your cabin) but it was really a good deal.

When I sailed MSC there was no added gratuity charge on the drink package. I wonder if they still do that. The first time we tipped at the bar the bartender looked at us funny and didn't want to take it.

Later into the cruise we got to talking with our favorite bar tender and I asked him did it bother him that MSC didn't have a sign slip to leave a tip. He smiled and said no, absolutely not, MSC pays me very well. The whole cruise we only saw one other person leave a tip.

He made the joke that he appreciated our tips because at one of our port stops his wife would be waiting at the pier with her hand out and he could get away with giving her less of his money lol.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I have no dog in this fight but I should mention the MDR was open for lunch every sea day on my last Carnival Pride cruise February 17-25, 2024.

Historically they’ve done sea day brunch until 1pm on sea days. But recently they’ve been shutting it down at noon which is lunch time. So I guess if you want to eat lunch before 12 you can say you had lunch there. But I’m talking other days on the other lines. I ate in the dining room on embarkation day on Princess. 

A lunch menu is different than a brunch menu. Carnival does it on journey cruises. And the journey I was on they only did lunch every other sea day. The other sea days were the brunch menu.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Historically they’ve done sea day brunch until 1pm on sea days. But recently they’ve been shutting it down at noon which is lunch time. But I’m talking other days on the other lines. I ate in the dining room on embarkation day on Princess. 

A lunch menu is different than a brunch menu. Carnival does it on journey cruises. And the journey I was on they only did lunch every other sea day. The other sea days were the brunch menu.

You're right about the sea day brunch days but the other sea days definitely had lunch from 12-1:30. I know the menu is different and I know lunch is different than brunch, We had 6 sea days on our 8 day cruise so I noticed. I wish I saved the daily programs. 

38 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It's almost always "sold out" for any cabin. NCL wants to push you into the higher fares.

Well if you book a sail away fare it doesn’t include free at sea. So even if available I probably wouldn't book it. I got a great regular rate on Alaska last year. Like $450 I think.

7 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

You're right about the sea day brunch days but the other sea days definitely had lunch from 12-1:30. I know the menu is different and I know lunch is different than brunch, We had 6 sea days on our 8 day cruise so I noticed. I wish I saved the daily programs. 

Sounds like since you had so many sea days they treated it like my transatlantic. That’s very rare. You probably have to book a cruise with a ridiculous number of sea days.

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

Well if you book a sail away fare it doesn’t include free at sea. So even if available I probably wouldn't book it. I got a great regular rate on Alaska last year. Like $450 I think.

That's the point. NCL bakes in the cost of the package.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Sounds like since you had so many sea days they treated it like my transatlantic. That’s very rare. You probably have to book a cruise with a ridiculous number of sea days.

It was a Panama Canal Partial Transit. It was a wonderful cruise. Out of 2600 passengers, there were only 160 kids on the ship!

• Like 1

Talk about raining on people's parade all because it isn't a great value for you. Smh maybe let people live, the world doesn't revolve around your assessment of value. Keep your judgments to yourself and let people enjoy their vacations how they see fit. 🤷

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

All this over what basically amounts to semantics. 🤣

Wow, so there's limits on a deal and not absolutely everything is included or "free"! Who would have thought!! Now let's make a big deal about how that makes it overall not an awesome deal still for many and complete steal for some. Especially in comparison to Carnival's absolutely lousy offerings when it comes to deals and included drink menus.

That one user just really loves to argue about anything that isn't Carnival and which is receiving some positive news or spotlight lmaooo. 😂😂

That bout sums it up 😂🤣

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

Talk about raining on people's parade all because it isn't a great value for you. Smh maybe let people live, the world doesn't revolve around your assessment of value. Keep your judgments to yourself and let people enjoy their vacations how they see fit. 🤷

or yours or his or hers. 🙂

28 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

All this over what basically amounts to semantics. 🤣

Wow, so there's limits on a deal and not absolutely everything is included or "free"! Who would have thought!! Now let's make a big deal about how that makes it overall not an awesome deal still for many and complete steal for some. Especially in comparison to Carnival's absolutely lousy offerings when it comes to deals and included drink menus.

That one user just really loves to argue about anything that isn't Carnival and which is receiving some positive news or spotlight lmaooo. 😂😂

Semantics….speaking of laughing….

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

That's the point. NCL bakes in the cost of the package.

That was not a sail away rate. That $450 was a regular rate that included drinks. I even said in the post regular rate. You need to working on the reading comprehension. I have never seen sail away available. I assume that’s open close to the cruise like carnival’s super saver.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

It was a Panama Canal Partial Transit. It was a wonderful cruise. Out of 2600 passengers, there were only 160 kids on the ship!

Yeah those are pretty rare. I’ve been trying to do one for years but the offerings are so limited and it’s usually pretty expensive.

Edited by Saint Greg

Just now, Saint Greg said:

I just gave you the lowest fare that I’ve had on any 7 day cruise ever and you say that’s proof that a drink package is baked into it? What if I told you carnival was 2k with no drink package?

My statements have been about NCL vs NCL and have nothing to do with Carnival. My experience is that sail away cabins are cheaper than cabins with all the (not) free stuff.

Your Alaskan cruise was after the season was over and NCL was dumping cabins. All the other cruise lines knew better and had gone home.

Not everyone is obsessed with drink packages.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

My statements have been about NCL vs NCL and have nothing to do with Carnival. My experience is that sail away cabins are cheaper than cabins with all the (not) free stuff.

Your Alaskan cruise was after the season was over and NCL was dumping cabins. All the other cruise lines knew better and had gone home.

Not everyone is obsessed with drink packages.

I didn’t book sail away. Read it again. Regular rate.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1