So Far Carnival is Winning vs NCL

Hiya, Folks. 

First off, my last cruise, which was my second cruise only, was on Disney about 15 years ago, and 10 years prior to that my first cruise on an unrememered cruise line... but we went to St. Marteen and St. Thomas. 

I'm definitely a cruising neophyte, lol. 

I had originally booked a 7 day cruise in mid April 2025 with NCL on the Escape... but for what I was paying there, (solo balcony... a new category for them), I've been able to instead, (canceled NCL), book a 7 day cruise to the EXACT same itinerary on Carnival Legend in early March 2025, (about 6 weeks earlier and also a balcony), AND a 4 day in September 2024 on Carnival Paradise, albeit an interior room, and with soda package on both, (I don't drink alcohol), AND excursions included on both... and I'm still saving about $800 😲😲

So, yes, of course, apples to oranges with regard to the ships, (the Escape is a much larger ship with more to do, maybe more shows, definitely more options for free and paid dining, etc), and NCL has its "Free at Sea" package... but it's NOT actually free, it's obviously built into the cruise fare. Additionally part of what is FAS but actually built into the price is their alcohol package... I don't drink, so to get soda, juice, etc I had to upgrade that package for sbout $34/day... less than $10/day gets me soda and juice on Carnival which is all I need... so no "base" alcohol package with an additional upgrade cost to get soda & juice. 

"Free" 150 minutes of WiFi? No thanks, I'll never use it... the whole point of a vacation for me is to disconnect. 

Two "free" Specialty Dining options... I'd use them ONLY because I did essentially pay for them... but it's something, that were it separate, I would not get... I'm not a "Foodie" by any stretch of the imagination. 

So, all of that adds into the cost difference, most/all of which I don't care about... and as I said, I get TWO cruises and still SAVE money, lol. 

Assuming that I take to cruising like a duck to water, I'm not sure I'd ever go on NCL 🤷

• Like 7

It looks like Tampa is a sweet spot for you, both ships sailing from there.  Wish I lived a little closer.  I’m glad you are sailing Paradise first.  She is one of the two remaining Fantasy class, smallest and oldest of the Carnival fleet.  I have t sailed her, but have sailed Elation several times for JAX…as well as Spirit, Fascination, (original)Celebration.  Those little ships are fond memories for a lot of long time Carnival cruisers.  No specialty dining on her but you should have a good time.  Savor the decor….  Legend is the next size up, but more features, a steakhouse and sushi.  She is my favorite class of ship…I don’t like the huge ones.  
  I never buy a drink package because I also don’t drink much.  Just don’t like the taste.  My usual order is Diet Coke on the rocks with a twist of lime.  Unfortunately Carnival has Pepsi products, so I suffer through.  Mostly I head for the buffet when they close down the juice machines and switch over to iced tea and lemonade.  I fill my insulated bottle with iced tea with a squirt of lemonade.  
   If you find Carnival suits you, perhaps you could expand your drive to Port Canaveral for the next size up, Conquest class, then Vista, and finally Xcel class.  No Dream class there for now.  Lots of options.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I enjoyed cruising on both cruise lines but prefer carnival. Most of the time I find carnival has a better price but always good to check and compare.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Essiesmom said:

It looks like Tampa is a sweet spot for you, both ships sailing from there.  Wish I lived a little closer.  I’m glad you are sailing Paradise first.  She is one of the two remaining Fantasy class, smallest and oldest of the Carnival fleet.  I have t sailed her, but have sailed Elation several times for JAX…as well as Spirit, Fascination, (original)Celebration.  Those little ships are fond memories for a lot of long time Carnival cruisers.  No specialty dining on her but you should have a good time.  Savor the decor….  Legend is the next size up, but more features, a steakhouse and sushi.  She is my favorite class of ship…I don’t like the huge ones.  
  I never buy a drink package because I also don’t drink much.  Just don’t like the taste.  My usual order is Diet Coke on the rocks with a twist of lime.  Unfortunately Carnival has Pepsi products, so I suffer through.  Mostly I head for the buffet when they close down the juice machines and switch over to iced tea and lemonade.  I fill my insulated bottle with iced tea with a squirt of lemonade.  
   If you find Carnival suits you, perhaps you could expand your drive to Port Canaveral for the next size up, Conquest class, then Vista, and finally Xcel class.  No Dream class there for now.  Lots of options.  EM

Thank you. 

Yes, I'm only an hour South of Tampa, so it suits me very well. 

I'd certainly be open to expanding my horizons as it were should cruising and Carnival suit me. 

You don't have to "upgrade" the alcohol package to get soda, that would be included in the alcohol package. I sail both lines (among others), Personally one of the highlights for us on NCL is enjoying the waterfront dining, nothing like having a nice meal at sea, watching the sunset. I also think that NCL still has the edge over Carnival as far as most production shows (although the Carnival Excel class are in a different class altogether, why I'm sailing for the third time on the Mardi Gras). It truly depends on what you want out of your vacation - that's the beauty of it - different strokes...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sunkey1 said:

You don't have to "upgrade" the alcohol package to get soda, that would be included in the alcohol package

Fair enough, I guess I upgraded, looking back, because at the time I was interested in the specialty coffees, etc. 

However, the included in the fare cost of the FAS drink package is greater than $9.50/day, lol. 

Plus, as I said, being a bigger ship it's apples to oranges... of course there are several nicer amenities... but as my first cruise in 15 years, I thought it best to wade into the shallow end, than dive right into tbe deep end if I'm making sense? 

15 minutes ago, Daruma said:

Fair enough, I guess I upgraded, looking back, because at the time I was interested in the specialty coffees, etc. 

That's one thing that Carnival definitely has over NCL, their drink package includes everything, alcohol, soda, bottled water, specialty coffees. NCL's does not....

• Like 1

Daruma, I think it's a great plan to start at the smaller ships, and then you'll have something to look forward to in the future as you move up to the larger ones. But, just so you know, the 4 day cruise on Paradise is usually the "booze cruise" itinerary. Have done it many times, not saying you won't have a great time, because I'm sure you will, just giving you a heads up since you are leery of the drunks. Once you have a chance to go on the 7 day Legend, you'll see a little difference. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nascartim said:

Daruma, I think it's a great plan to start at the smaller ships, and then you'll have something to look forward to in the future as you move up to the larger ones. But, just so you know, the 4 day cruise on Paradise is usually the "booze cruise" itinerary. Have done it many times, not saying you won't have a great time, because I'm sure you will, just giving you a heads up since you are leery of the drunks. Once you have a chance to go on the 7 day Legend, you'll see a little difference. 

Thank you, I appreciate that heads up. 

Many have advised me of such, and the associated comments though tend to be that I can easily avoid the overly obnoxious, annoying crowds and enjoy myself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

That's one thing that Carnival definitely has over NCL, their drink package includes everything, alcohol, soda, bottled water, specialty coffees. NCL's does not....

But NCL’s is $21 a day… I don’t think those two cruises can really be compared in cost if NCL’s was sailing close to Easter, April 2025, although might’ve dodged a bullet with tons of kids onboard.

• Like 1

Welcome back to cruising!

I've looked at and sailed both lines. I'm not dumb enough to think the cruise lines are loosing money by giving me things for "free." The cost for FAS is for sure built into the cruise fare, gratuities excluded. I agree that if you're not a drinker, you're going to find better value on any cruise that doesn't include an alcohol package. Just do the maths and pick what gives you the best value for you. 

What I find interesting is that you been on two cruises, each a decade apart, and didn't decide then to turn into a duck. What makes you think you might this time (figuratively)? 

1 minute ago, carohs said:

Welcome back to cruising!

I've looked at and sailed both lines. I'm not dumb enough to think the cruise lines are loosing money by giving me things for "free." The cost for FAS is for sure built into the cruise fare, gratuities excluded. I agree that if you're not a drinker, you're going to find better value on any cruise that doesn't include an alcohol package. Just do the maths and pick what gives you the best value for you. 

What I find interesting is that you been on two cruises, each a decade apart, and didn't decide then to turn into a duck. What makes you think you might this time (figuratively)? 

Wife hates cruising... hates beachy, swimmy warm climate vacations, and prefers hikey, woodsy, cooler climate vacations. 

I'm the opposite. 

So, we go on two vacations a year together as a family, then we each take our preferred vacation solo... though I require our now 22 yr old son to accompany her because I don't want her traveling alone... he's never had a problem with this, lol. 

It's probably only been in the last ten years or so that we've advanced far enough in our careers to be able to afford this. 

I'd always taken my solo vacation on a land based tropical trip. 

It wasn't until my son asked for a 4 day cruise, (Royal Caribbean), with friends for his college graduation gift, (coming in May), that cruising again entered my head, and that I could now afford to go solo. 

Wife didn't enjoy the first cruise at all, and the only reason we went on the Disney cruise at all was for our then 8 yr old Cub 😁

I enjoyed both cruises immensely, so depending on how I feel with this, it may become my goto drug 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daruma said:

Wife hates cruising... hates beachy, swimmy warm climate vacations, and prefers hikey, woodsy, cooler climate vacations. 

I'm the opposite. 

So, we go on two vacations a year together as a family, then we each take our preferred vacation solo... though I require our now 22 yr old son to accompany her because I don't want her traveling alone... he's never had a problem with this, lol. 

It's probably only been in the last ten years or so that we've advanced far enough in our careers to be able to afford this. 

I'd always taken my solo vacation on a land based tropical trip. 

It wasn't until my son asked for a 4 day cruise, (Royal Caribbean), with friends for his college graduation gift, (coming in May), that cruising again entered my head, and that I could now afford to go solo. 

Wife didn't enjoy the first cruise at all, and the only reason we went on the Disney cruise at all was for our then 8 yr old Cub 😁

I enjoyed both cruises immensely, so depending on how I feel with this, it may become my goto drug 😂

DH and I are the reverse in what we like. But since I'm the vacation planner, we've been doing cruises. He does get to go camping almost once a month but that's more or less local. And he did really enjoy the scenery and weather of our Alaska cruise, and the hikeyness of our Hawaii cruise. 

I hear you about career advancement, I don't think my past self 10 years ago ever really thought she'd get to plan these kinds of vacations let alone on a semi regular basis. 

If you do decide to go solo, sometimes NCL will offer a no solo supplement or solo discounted rate. It may work out better or not, depending on all those price changing factors. 

Congratulations to your son's graduation! 

16 minutes ago, carohs said:

... Congratulations to your son's graduation! 

Thank you... we'll finally be able to afford to eat meat again, lol. 

As I mentioned in my OP here... NCL proved to be way more expensive for a solo balcony cabin... so I cancelled it, and am now taking 2x Carnival cruises; 7 day with the exact same itinerary and in a balcony cabin and a 4 day, albeit interior cabin, excursions and desired add ons included and it's still several hundred dollars cheaper. 

I get and understand the differences... but decided that I'd rather ease my way into the cruise pool, and get TWO cruises... rather than jump in on just one more expensive cruise. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We're pretty loyal Carnival passengers.   We have started to feel like we need to spread our wings.  We've looked into the major cruise lines and we have heard negative things for all of them.  I think we have narrowed it down to NCL.  For now, we have 2 Carnival cruises booked.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sunkey1 said:

Ehhh. With NCL you pay gratuities and then get drinks for free.  Their premium beverage package bundled with unlimited internet and an extra specialty dinner  ( you get two with the booking) is like $300 for a week...and you do get everything with that...where just the drink package on Carnival is like $500...Add in another $130 for wifi and more for specialty dining. And NCL has no 5-minute rule or 15 daily drink limit. The drink package is a huge advantage for NCL and a big reason why they have 3 of my last 4 bookings.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

Prices vary a lot based on ship, sailing date, itinerary, state of the cruising market, etc. So don't take this one sampling of the cost comparison too seriously. Check NCL and others in addition to Carnival when planning a cruise. 

Also, as you gain experience you will find things that matter to you other than price that you had not previously considered. For example, we prefer the small ships where you actually feel like you are at sea. On the new, large ships you might as well be in the Hyatt Regency in Phoenix (where you can sleep, eat and attend a convention for a week without ever leaving the hotel). Carnival seems to have more small ships.

With us, the boorish clientele Carnival has attracted since covid, and Carnival's unwillingness to enforce rules against antisocial behavior, has us willing to pay more for NCL which is now our main cruise line. But we miss the smaller ships and will occasionally take a Carnival cruise (especially Journeys cruises that have older, civilized, clientele).

It is all a matter of trade-offs; personal preferences, price etc.

13 hours ago, Daruma said:

Two "free" Specialty Dining options... I'd use them ONLY because I did essentially pay for them... but it's something, that were it separate, I would not get... I'm not a "Foodie" by any stretch of the imagination. 

12 hours ago, Daruma said:

However, the included in the fare cost of the FAS drink package is greater than $9.50/day, lol. 

If you don't want the specialty dining or drink gratuities because you aren't going to use them, all you have to do is uncheck those boxes and the charges are removed.

The steakhouse is well worth the $5.90 gratuity.

ncl1.thumb.jpg.c2a17dab1d5f31c95bf16276b7f711c1.jpg

ncl2.thumb.jpg.69273206d8adc24b9538d3dbeb25be5c.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

For the VAST majority, there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Marketing ploys are like lipstick on the pig.

There is never a free lunch - but there are always some passengers subsidizing other passengers.

...and one CAN tailor their behavior in ways to make themselves one of those people being subsidized.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Daruma said:

(the Escape is a much larger ship , definitely more options for free and paid dining, etc),

Carnival is pretty robust with free dining options.  I am not that familiar with NCL, but with Guy's, Blue Iguana, pizza plus even more on some ships (think Legend has Chopsticks) Carnival should compare well with NCL.

One NCL cruise was enough for me.  It was an older ship and people keep telling me to give it another try.  Leaving from NY and driving distance is a plus but I just can't bring myself to do another!

Pride and Legend are my favorite Carnival ships and I don't mind the ride to Baltimore since it's the easiest port ever.

Good choice going with Carnival!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, sgttami said:

One NCL cruise was enough for me.  It was an older ship and people keep telling me to give it another try.  Leaving from NY and driving distance is a plus but I just can't bring myself to do another!

Pride and Legend are my favorite Carnival ships and I don't mind the ride to Baltimore since it's the easiest port ever.

Good choice going with Carnival!

Good to know that Baltimore is an easy port!  DH and I will be parking at the port this September for our cruise on Pride (one of our favorites as well) to Bermuda😻

• Like 2