If You Have Your Own Wheelchair??

FYI, all US terminal gangways are ADA compliant, so it shouldn't be steep at all.  I know in Seattle, if there is a big shift in the tides (happens a couple times a season), embarkation is paused as Longshore readjusts the gangway..

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

FYI, all US terminal gangways are ADA compliant, so it shouldn't be steep at all.  I know in Seattle, if there is a big shift in the tides (happens a couple times a season), embarkation is paused as Longshore readjusts the gangway..

They aren't steep but the length plus grade poops out the pushers if they aren't fit.  

• Like 2

I’ve pushed my husband’s wheelchair (both in our 60’s) up the gangway the last 2 years. A couple of places were a little harder. Right where the ramp meets the ship, I had to turn and go backwards on a steep area covered with a rubber mat. Going to try it again on Jubilee in Sept. 

I find the ramp in JAX to be quite steep.  It was tiring enough that last cruise I checked my rollaboard instead of carrying it on.  Even with four wheels it was too awkward.  But I’m a bit elderly.  Now, debarking down that ramp is a breeze.  Too bad you can’t ride the suitcase down…. EM

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/8/2024 at 5:26 PM, silversneakers said:

If you have your own wheelchair, do you have to push it on the ship and up the gangway OR can you transfer the passenger to a Carnival wheelchair for boarding?

This is my experience based on travels with my wife who was in a chair.

Someone from the port ( a port employee) will aid in getting you on the ship up to the lobby.  If it is your chair, you will then be responsible for getting around the ship.  At disembarkation, you will hear instructions as to where to meet on the ship and a Carnival employee (ship employee) will take off.  If you call Carnival ahead of time, arrangements can be made otherwise you are waiting for an available employee.

On note not on point, measure the width of the chair and compare it to the width of the cabin  door.  These dimensions are on Carnival's website.  Some chairs may be too wide for the cabin entry.  

You can make prior arrangements with Carnival for a chair if you just need assistance getting on and off the ship but you are good getting around  the ship.  You can also consider renting a scooter.

• Like 2

Carnival has a great department dedicated to your special needs; they will also assist with you selecting a cabin that can accommodate your wheelchair or any other items you may have. Happy cruising.

If you need general information about accessibility before you cruise, or have an ADA complaint, please call our Guest Access team at 1-800-438-6744 ext.70025, or 1800 072 670 ext. 70025 if calling from Australia. You can also email us at access@carnival.com. All post-cruise ADA concerns will be responded to within 30 days. Carnival's designated ADA Responsibility Officer is Clarisa Stollenwerck, Vice President, Guest Operations.