airfare with cruise/general question

We are going on the NCL Star in October 2024. We are getting our air through NCL. Can we ask for an upgrade with NCL travel (expecting to pay more) or do we have to wait for the air reservations first and then try to get an upgrade through the air provider ? (Example... business class or bulkhead seats).

Thanks much

No to NCL and yes to working with the airline but chances of getting an upgrade are slim to none, unless you have elite status of some sort with the airline.

you're talking about two different things.

an upgrade (using either cash or airline miles) can be made directly with the airline once you are assigned flights. or you can choose bulkhead seats or exit rows at no charge if you have status with the airline (neither of those are, strictly speaking, an upgrade).

or you can deal with NCL directly and buy into the class of service you wish... pay more for what you want. they allow you to "customize" you air preferences. but you won't get BOGO air if you take that route.

• 1 month later...

Does NCL book the absolute cheapest fare AKA basic economy, or do they book regular coach/main cabin? 

We're sailing out of Barcelona in November, so it's long before NCL will book our flights, but checking with Delta, the one-way fare difference between basic economy and main cabin is $100, while a checked bag is free in main cabin, but $150 in basic. Plus you can make changes or cancel without penalty with main, and choose your own seats to boot..  So going with basic economy seems penny wise and pound foolish. I'd rather pay NCL a couple hundred dollars up front than have to pay even more on the back-end. 

3 hours ago, ciabelle said:

Does NCL book the absolute cheapest fare AKA basic economy, or do they book regular coach/main cabin? 

We're sailing out of Barcelona in November, so it's long before NCL will book our flights, but checking with Delta, the one-way fare difference between basic economy and main cabin is $100, while a checked bag is free in main cabin, but $150 in basic. Plus you can make changes or cancel without penalty with main, and choose your own seats to boot..  So going with basic economy seems penny wise and pound foolish. I'd rather pay NCL a couple hundred dollars up front than have to pay even more on the back-end. 

If you were NCL, will you book the lowest cost airfare, or will you try to pay higher fare out of the goodness of their heart so passengers will get more benefits?

• Like 1

By the time NCL gets around to booking your flights, don't count on bulkhead seats being available. Those are usually among the first seats to go after the airline schedule comes out...generally around 320 days before the flight.

For example, the day our upcoming flight to Rome this September came out several months ago, we booked bulkhead seats using points/upgrade. I went back into the seating chart a few days later and virtually all of them were already taken.

I would call NCL and talk to the air department.  I believe they also have an option for  Premium Air with costs $600.00 extra.  I saw a charge on my credit card, or reservation for premium air on my last NCL flight after I called and said I wanted a non-stop flight to the destination.  Which I was put on.  Im just saying what happened to me 2 years ago.  Dont know if it still going on.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Ncl will book the cheapest.

For sure they will.    Also since Delta was mentioned in this post, note that Delta has 5 classes for transatlantic flights, whereas other airlines still have 3.   You will get class #5 from Delta.

NCL does have a "new"  option to request class.  I am not an expert, but I did call them and inquire (about 6 months ago, things could have changed).... I was told that you tell NCL what you  want (class, times, etc.) and they will come back in a few days with a quote.   It has nothing to do with the BOGO price, essentially you are starting over and they are quoting you current market prices just like a travel agent would do.   

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ciabelle said:

Don't know about Canada, but I have gotten very good flights to/from Europe from LA. I have gotten BETTER flights (more expensive but better timing) through NCL air. And I have always gotten free checked bag

Edited by victory2020

My flights have always been regular economy

On 4/12/2024 at 7:10 PM, ciabelle said:

We're using NCL Air for the first time on our cruise from Reykjavik to Southampton (6/13 on the Prima). I was pleasantly surprised by the flights. We have a nonstop from Denver to Reykjavik with 1 checked bag each and seat selection included (Icelandair). Coming home, we have one stop in Miami; 1 checked bag each and seat selection were included as well (American). The only downside is that flying through Miami means we get back to Denver at 11:49PM. 

We used NCL Air after pricing flights on our own and it saved us money this time. 

On 4/12/2024 at 9:14 PM, Middleager said:

If you were NCL, will you book the lowest cost airfare, or will you try to pay higher fare out of the goodness of their heart so passengers will get more benefits?

Ok, I've heard enough answers like yours saying it'll be the absolute most no frills fare possible, and others saying that the fare included a checked bag. So I'm honestly no closer to a definitive answer than before I asked. 

I do think it makes sense for NCL to book a regular coach ticket over the barebones flight. Flight delays happen often enough that people report missing the ship completely or having to catch up with it in another port of call. It would be salt in the wound if one not only didn't get to the ship on time, but then lost the entire value of the ticket NCL purchased for them, and had to pay the full fare to get to the next port or fly home early. 

So, no, they're not going to put you in any premium cabin, let alone first or business class without possible prior arrangements and a much heftier fee, but I will trust the others who've said a checked bag was included. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, ciabelle said:

Ok, I've heard enough answers like yours saying it'll be the absolute most no frills fare possible, and others saying that the fare included a checked bag. So I'm honestly no closer to a definitive answer than before I asked. 

I do think it makes sense for NCL to book a regular coach ticket over the barebones flight. Flight delays happen often enough that people report missing the ship completely or having to catch up with it in another port of call. It would be salt in the wound if one not only didn't get to the ship on time, but then lost the entire value of the ticket NCL purchased for them, and had to pay the full fare to get to the next port or fly home early. 

So, no, they're not going to put you in any premium cabin, let alone first or business class without possible prior arrangements and a much heftier fee, but I will trust the others who've said a checked bag was included. 

We had bought NCL fare.  For long haul (transatlantic, transpacific, or transcontinental) flights, they often do include a checked bag. 

For short haul or US/Canadian domestic flights, no there is no free checked bags.  You can believe as much as you wish that you'll get free checked bag, but there is reality especially proven experience.

Edited by Middleager

I've done NCL air for transatlantic and USA/Panama flights, and we had free checked bags on them.  I was able to pick seats for a fee, and on one I upgraded at check in to premium economy.  My next flights include a leg from Canada to USA and it includes a free checked bag, but it's a connection from a transatlantic.

5 hours ago, ciabelle said:

I've always gotten regular economy through NCL but it does depend on the route and airline. Unless you get a SW flight, you'll pay checked baggage fees for domestic flights. International flights have always included 1 or 2 checked bags, depending on your destination.

If your flight is delayed or cancelled, you don't lose your ticket assuming you go through the airline to rebook. If you cancel your ticket, any refund would go back to NCL.

Seat choices/costs are variable, again by airline and route.

12 hours ago, ciabelle said:

NCL does not determine what is included in the airfare - checked bag, seat assignment, etc. - the airline does so the answers will vary based on what airline was booked.  In the end, when using NCL air, you are at the mercy of them on when your flight is ticketed and to a large degree what is actually booked.

Myself, I never let NCL or anyone else pick what flights I fly or what hotel I stay at.  NCL is a cruise line, I book my cruise through them, I book air myself via an airline and a hotel via a hotel website. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

For many overseas flights, the airline allows a free checked bag. It has nothing to do with how NCL books. Baggage allowances are determined by the specific airlines. Some people will get a free checked bag when they update their flight information on the airline page because they have that perk with the airline. It has nothing to do with NCL.

Also, I did state in my previous response that all of my NCL flights have been regular economy, not basic.

Edited by reeinaz

Our flight to Europe was booked regular economy (1 stop) with one checked bag included.  When I chose seats I paid more for the extra leg room.  I won a bid with the airline on the 2nd part of the trip over and got us into business class....we were fortunate because the airfare was very cheap for the two of us.

On 4/13/2024 at 7:23 AM, mjkacmom said:

Ncl will book the cheapest.

I think this answer is for the get one free air package.  You can book what you want if you are paying for regular flights through NCL travel agency.