Priority Embarkation?

Mark_K

I’m pretty new to Princess, so bear with me.

If I read it correctly, there are four groups that get priority embarkation; Elite, Platinum, Full Suite, and Reserve Collection Mini-suite (which I have).

I also read that there are two lanes, not counting the one for people needing special assistance. One for people who have medallions and have filled out their information and one for those who haven’t.

I’m wondering how it works with four groups having priority and two lanes, neither of which sound like they’re priority lanes.

There are actually two steps in the process. The first step in the embarkation process is check-in, where the Green and Blue lines happen. Those who have their Medallions in hand before arrival are in the Green lane, those without their Medallions are in the Blue lane.  Once checked-in, if boarding has not yet started, you can sit in the appropriate "boarding" area waiting to start loading. Elites, Suite guests, Platinum usually have a dedicated area they can sit in and get to board first. Note that the very first to board, ahead of everyone else, are the back to back returning passengers

• Like 3

I believe at this point it is simply blue lane / green lane for check-in.  Green lane if you have your medallion shipped to you ahead of time, blue lane if not.  No further breakdown of priority.

After check-in, there is a Platinum/Elite Lounge separate from main waiting room which I assume they also put Suites/other "priority boarding".  It's basically the same as the rest of the waiting areas except they serve pastries & coffee, and it is the first group to board after B2B'ers once they commence boarding.

• Like 2

Based on our experience recently at Port Everglades, while people were divided into two lines outside the terminal according to whether we had our medallion or not, once we got up to the doors, everyone funneled into the same line to wind around until we got to Security. It really didn't matter which door you went in.

After Security, the Blue Lane people had to check in and get their medallions, while the Green Lane went right to the waiting area.

• Thanks 1

Priority boarding really only exists until the first groups board at the start of embarkation if you come later it will not matter. Basically green lane and blue lane depending on if you have a medallion or not

• Like 1

A few weeks ago in Ft Lauderdale everyone bunched together to go through security. That's the slow step. Once through green lane went in one direction, blue had to detour for a few minutes to pick up the medallion. Once actual boarding began it went so quickly that it really didn't matter if you were in a priority group or not. 

6 hours ago, skynight said:

A few weeks ago in Ft Lauderdale everyone bunched together to go through security. That's the slow step. Once through green lane went in one direction, blue had to detour for a few minutes to pick up the medallion. Once actual boarding began it went so quickly that it really didn't matter if you were in a priority group or not. 

It would only matter for a Sanctuary racer.

@Mark_K Welcome to Princess.  Posters would be able to give you a little more specific information if you state your embarkation port.

In general, there are two steps in getting on the ship.

Step one:  depending on port, most have you check in then go through security.  It doesn't matter which comes first.  This is where being in the Blue Lane (no medallion) or Green Lane (with medallion) will matter, only slightly. 

For instance, if you are doing a US based port, there will probably be equal amounts of blue/green passengers.  The time difference will probably be very little.  If you are doing Japan or Southampton, very few passengers will have a medallion since they are only sent to Canada and US residents.

Once you are checked in and through security, you will be sent to a seating area (if boarding has not begun).  Suite and Elite passengers usually share the same lounge/space.  Platinum get their own area.  Not sure where Reserve Class is sent (someone else will chime in and correct me, but I think they are with Suite/Elites).

Groups are called: 

In transit passengers

Suite/Elite/Reserve Class?

Platinum

and then general boarding.  

** Passengers who need assistance will be dispersed among various groups.  There are only so many "pushers".  Some may have to wait a long time to get on.  "Pushers" are port personnel until after security/when they drop you off in another designated area.  At that point, crew from the ship will take over getting you on the ship.

If these areas have been cleared out and passengers arrive after that, they are checked in/security/walk on board.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Based on our experience recently at Port Everglades, while people were divided into two lines outside the terminal according to whether we had our medallion or not, once we got up to the doors, everyone funneled into the same line to wind around until we got to Security. It really didn't matter which door you went in.

After Security, the Blue Lane people had to check in and get their medallions, while the Green Lane went right to the waiting area.

Exactly. I think they only provide the 2 lines to make people feel better while waiting.😏

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

I believe at this point it is simply blue lane / green lane for check-in.  Green lane if you have your medallion shipped to you ahead of time, blue lane if not.  No further breakdown of priority.

After check-in, there is a Platinum/Elite Lounge separate from main waiting room which I assume they also put Suites/other "priority boarding".  It's basically the same as the rest of the waiting areas except they serve pastries & coffee, and it is the first group to board after B2B'ers once they commence boarding.

Not that it’s a huge deal for me, but looks as though coffee, juice, pastries in the PES waiting lounge may be going by the wayside.  

53 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not that it’s a huge deal for me, but looks as though coffee, juice, pastries in the PES waiting lounge may be going by the wayside.  

I think that's heavily dependent on the port. On one of our sailings last year, at PE T2, there was no lounge at all, all passengers herded into the big lower level waiting room for a very early boarding. On our other sailings from PE there has been a fully equipped lounge. This past October, and again a month ago, at San Pedro, there was a full lounge set up. Why do you say they're disappearing? Which port and when? Thx.

31 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I think that's heavily dependent on the port. On one of our sailings last year, at PE T2, there was no lounge at all, all passengers herded into the big lower level waiting room for a very early boarding. On our other sailings from PE there has been a fully equipped lounge. This past October, and again a month ago, at San Pedro, there was a full lounge set up. Why do you say they're disappearing? Which port and when? Thx.

I saw it this year once in LA and twice in San Francisco.  I just assumed that was new directions.  I usually just get a glass of OJ and nothing else so, it really didn’t bother me much but last time in SFO, we waited in line for so very long and left the house without breakfast.  I am not much of a sweet tooth but was really hungry and saw there was no table set up.  I always carry some chocolates for the crew in my carry on bag and I had to dig into their stash.  

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

yeah sounds like there can be some variety depending on port.  I'm speaking for Fort Lauderdale and specifically my most recent experience in October.  Could take it or leave it anyway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PMGS247 said:

yeah sounds like there can be some variety depending on port.  I'm speaking for Fort Lauderdale and specifically my most recent experience in October.  Could take it or leave it anyway.

Money saving efforts are in place, that’s for sure.  It may be port dependent and even with that, it may even be cruise dependent on if they have the available staff or not.  I can also just take it or leave it, just found it strange that it was missing on 3 cruises in a row.  

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@Mark_K Welcome to Princess.  Posters would be able to give you a little more specific information if you state your embarkation port.

Step one:  depending on port, most have you check in then go through security.  It doesn't matter which comes first.  This is where being in the Blue Lane (no medallion) or Green Lane (with medallion) will matter, only slightly. 

For instance, if you are doing a US based port, there will probably be equal amounts of blue/green passengers.  The time difference will probably be very little.  If you are doing Japan or Southampton, very few passengers will have a medallion since they are only sent to Canada and US residents.

Once you are checked in and through security, you will be sent to a seating area (if boarding has not begun).  Suite and Elite passengers usually share the same lounge/space.  Platinum get their own area.  Not sure where Reserve Class is sent (someone else will chime in and correct me, but I think they are with Suite/Elites).

Groups are called: 

In transit passengers

Platinum

** Passengers who need assistance will be dispersed among various groups.  There are only so many "pushers".  Some may have to wait a long time to get on.  "Pushers" are port personnel until after security/when they drop you off in another designated area.  At that point, crew from the ship will take over getting you on the ship.

If these areas have been cleared out and passengers arrive after that, they are checked in/security/walk on board.

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful. We are sailing out of Southampton, and are spending two nights there pre-cruise, so we can get to the pier pretty much any time we want.

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Groups are called: 

In transit passengers

Platinum

We no longer care to sit around before boarding so we show up after noon

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

Money saving efforts are in place, that’s for sure.  It may be port dependent and even with that, it may even be cruise dependent on if they have the available staff or not.  I can also just take it or leave it, just found it strange that it was missing on 3 cruises in a row.  

The last time were "shut out" of having the pre-boarding lounge was at PE early last year. I suspect that in that particular case, they knew in advance that they would start boarding so early (which they did, not much past 10AM), that they decided to save a few bucks and help out the overworked staff by ditching the PES lounge altogether

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, memoak said:

We no longer care to sit around before boarding so we show up after noon

We always arrive at Port at least 1 day prior to sailing.  Day of embarkation, we sleep in, have a late leisurely breakfast and arrive at ship after vast majority have boarded.  No lines, no muss, no fuss.  Very relaxing.  Great way to start the vacation.

40 minutes ago, DiRonT said:

We always arrive at Port at least 1 day prior to sailing.  Day of embarkation, we sleep in, have a late leisurely breakfast and arrive at ship after vast majority have boarded.  No lines, no muss, no fuss.  Very relaxing.  Great way to start the vacation.

Yep

3 hours ago, DiRonT said:

This is really what we want to do next month before we board, but we keep debating on making the Sanctuary run and get there early.  Does anyone know if the concierge can make these bookings or do you have to go the Sanctuary to do it?  thx

5 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Thanks for the information, it was very helpful. We are sailing out of Southampton, and are spending two nights there pre-cruise, so we can get to the pier pretty much any time we want.

We did the same thing last July.  Really enjoyed Southampton.  Boarding the Regal was quick.  Have a fantastic cruise 

15 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

We did the same thing last July.  Really enjoyed Southampton.  Boarding the Regal was quick.  Have a fantastic cruise 

Which terminal did the Regal leave from?  Would you describe embarkation procedure with/without medallion?  Are their priority lounges?

Thanks

43 minutes ago, 20165 said:

This is really what we want to do next month before we board, but we keep debating on making the Sanctuary run and get there early.  Does anyone know if the concierge can make these bookings or do you have to go the Sanctuary to do it?  thx

Unfortunately, like everything else with Princess, it depends on ship and also on the suite Concierge.  

53 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which terminal did the Regal leave from?  Would you describe embarkation procedure with/without medallion?  Are their priority lounges?

Thanks

We left from the Ocean Terminal.  We stayed at the Moxy (great location) it was about a 10 minute taxi ride.  Got there early and we weren’t the only ones.  Our luggage drop off was the farthest from the terminal and we had to wait until it opened to go inside.  The seating was full so we stood close to the doors.  When they opened the escalator we were first on.  We had our medallions and were in the Elite, Suite and Platinum lounge in under 2 minutes.  They had coffee and rolls in the lounge.  I think they opened the scanners around 10:45 then onto the ship.  Staterooms were not ready so we had lunch at Alfredo’s.  It was very organized and Princess had lots of people helping guide you to the right place.  I don’t know how long people without medallions had to wait, sorry.  Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

• Thanks 1