Vista noise question

Tsunami74

We are booked on an up coming Vista cruise, but are concerned about complaints of noise and lack of sound proofing in cabins.

Being in such a cabin would ruin the cruise for us. Considering cancelling.

The problem seems to be different in different areas.  Has anyone been in or near cabin # 9034 on the Vista and can comment on noise level?

We're shortly to cruise on Vista and I'm also anxious about the noise problem. I noticed the reports on the forum after we had made the final payment, so cancellation is not a sensible option and we'll keep our fingers crossed all will be OK. Had we been still at the stage where only a deposit had been paid, I think we would seriously have considered cancelling. 

Of course, the reports on Cruise Critic only come  from a tiny minority of folk who have cruised on Vista so, statistically, I don't feel able to form an opinion as to whether the problem is down to the the ship's geography or whether it is down to how loud your neighbours speak or how loud (and at what times) they have their TV on. That said, there was one recent report from someone who did complain whilst onboard and was told by crew that the problem is widespread throughout the ship. 

I'll be interested to see what responses you get from anyone who has stayed near your cabin as ours is only a little way down the corridor. It is a worry and I agree noise from an adjacent cabin could easily disturb sleep and ruin a cruise. And that throws over ten grand down the pan. 

• Like 1

We were in 10028 on Vista.  Could not hear the neighbours TV or any hallway noise (even though we were also close to the laundry room) but could hear our neighbours when they argued, which unfortunately was often (but never late at night or early morning).

Just got off Vista in 9018. Could hear almost every word spoken in 9016 if we did not have TV on. Not trying to listen, just could not avoid hearing them. We were also on Deck 9 Starboard side almost across from Concierge Lounge (forgot cabin number) in Dec and heard our neighbors also. Summary…two forward cabins on Deck 9 on each side of Concierge Lounge have the thin walls people have been reporting. We could also hear people talking in the halls as they walked by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

We're shortly to cruise on Vista and I'm also anxious about the noise problem. I noticed the reports on the forum after we had made the final payment, so cancellation is not a sensible option and we'll keep our fingers crossed all will be OK. Had we been still at the stage where only a deposit had been paid, I think we would seriously have considered cancelling. 

Of course, the reports on Cruise Critic only come  from a tiny minority of folk who have cruised on Vista so, statistically, I don't feel able to form an opinion as to whether the problem is down to the the ship's geography or whether it is down to how loud your neighbours speak or how loud (and at what times) they have their TV on. That said, there was one recent report from someone who did complain whilst onboard and was told by crew that the problem is widespread throughout the ship. 

I'll be interested to see what responses you get from anyone who has stayed near your cabin as ours is only a little way down the corridor. It is a worry and I agree noise from an adjacent cabin could easily disturb sleep and ruin a cruise. And that throws over ten grand down the pan. 

We were on 7th floor near forward elevator and while we did hear some slight noise frim one neighbor cabin it was not intrusive at all

• Thanks 1

I am currently onboard Vista in cabin 8099. I am 66 years old and have exceptional hearing (according to a recent required hearing test after a car accident brain injury), but I have always been able to hear things that others ( including my husband 🤨) could not.  I am very annoyed by sounds and find them very distracting.  I call it sensitive ear syndrome. For instance, I came close to throwing a sunbathing cruiser overboard because of her annoying nose sniffling instead of taking the time to blow her nose.  🙀

Having said all the above, I can hear talking from the neighboring stateroom (on the TV wall), but surprisingly, the talking is not loud enough or distinct enough to annoy me. 👍🏻 I am hearing nothing from the other stateroom or from the hallway.  I do hear when the neighbor closes the stateroom door.  

I did a few sound test:  While standing in the middle of the stateroom, I can hear the male voice better than the female voice, yet I cannot make out any of his words.  It does sound like yelling because he talks loud. I have heard him when on the balcony. 😬  The second test was putting my ear to the wall.  Surprisingly, I can hear less of the sound. However, I noticed when taking my ear away from the wall that the sounds appear to be coming from the edge of the ceiling.  Perhaps the walls and the ceiling do not come completely together up there and the crown (trim) covers this gap.  We have heard no TV sounds at all.  Perhaps they do not turn it on.  We have been conscious to keep our voices and TV volume down though my DH is not happy when I tell him that the TV is too loud. 🤫

So in closing, my fears about the reported noises, before coming onboard, were for naught. 😉

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

So in closing, my fears about the reported noises, before coming onboard, were for naught. 😉

Two cruises in two different Concierge forward cabins on two different levels on Vista. Enjoyment of two cruises hampered by inability to sleep even when TV in next cabin was turned very low. Convinced that maybe noise problem was my bad luck in terms of cabin location, but inquiry at reception desk resulted in response that problem is pervasive. Concluded that full enjoyment of any cruise on Vista would be dependent on luck of having quiet neighbors who rarely turn on TV. No longer willing to take that chance. Based on my experiences, unless I hear of changes to rectify the situation, will not book Vista again. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, edgee said:

Two cruises in two different Concierge forward cabins on two different levels on Vista. Enjoyment of two cruises hampered by inability to sleep even when TV in next cabin was turned very low. Convinced that maybe noise problem was my bad luck in terms of cabin location, but inquiry at reception desk resulted in response that problem is pervasive. Concluded that full enjoyment of any cruise on Vista would be dependent on luck of having quiet neighbors who rarely turn on TV. No longer willing to take that chance. Based on my experiences, unless I hear of changes to rectify the situation, will not book Vista again. 

That's really sad. I perfectly understand and I would feel the same as you.

11 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

That's really sad. I perfectly understand and I would feel the same as you.

Unfortunate, but can certainly make other choices.  Looking forward to 25 nights on newly refurbished Marina this summer! 

My wife and I were in 70something, forward port side I think, for 21 days last summer. We could hear the next door tv faintly, and sometimes the odd word of conversation. It was not enough to be bothersome, just a bit of background noise like you would have in almost any city hotel room.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oceania Suite 12007 is directly under the stage in Horizons.

You will hear loud music in the living room and bedroom (and bath) until between 11:15 and midnight depending on the day.  Think college dorm on a weekend.

we learned to sleep with it.

there are many questionable design and engineering choices on this ship…in the end everything is a compromise.

20 minutes ago, makai 7 said:

You will hear loud music in the living room and bedroom (and bath) until between 11:15 and midnight depending on the day.  Think college dorm on a weekend.

there are many questionable design and engineering choices on this ship…in the end everything is a compromise.

Could not pay me to cruise under those circumstances!

• Like 6

This all is, as Vallesan said, really sad. I think it absolutely makes us hesitant to book Vista. I wonder if anyone at corporate is getting this feedback. I hope that is the case, so that they might be able to avoid it occurring on Allure. Whether they will, or whether it is too late in the build, I  guess remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

This all is, as Vallesan said, really sad. I think it absolutely makes us hesitant to book Vista. I wonder if anyone at corporate is getting this feedback. I hope that is the case, so that they might be able to avoid it occurring on Allure. Whether they will, or whether it is too late in the build, I  guess remains to be seen. 

Considering same corporate umbrella ship Regent's new Grandeur has reports on CC of same "thin walls" problem and was built in same ship yard as Vista, I fear we are moving toward more ships with noise problems rather than fewer. I will not book Allura either, unless positive reports come in regarding this potential problem.

Edited by edgee
  • Like 1

This topic seems to come up over and over.  What that means is it is a trend or pattern.  Not a single occurrence.  Enough Vista Guest are calling it out even in PH categories that something will need to happen to fix the issues, obviously. 

In homes and apartments there is stuff that can be injected in walls and the problem is solved. I hope that Oceania will read and listen to the folks with the concerns.  Noise is more important to some then to others.  

I am on the Vista in 2025.  Since I can see this is a real issue, I personally will take steps to handle the noise when I am trying to sleep.  Whether my Noise reduction headphones that I use every night or ear plugs.  Knowing there is an issue now, allows all of us to take action to handle it in the future if we have one of the staterooms with the issue.  

Thank you to the author of this this thread and other that have brought the same information to light. It really helps to set Realistic Expectations. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

Enough Vista Guest are calling it out even in PH categories that something will need to happen to fix the issues, obviously.

I'd like to think they'll fix the issue, but since *all* the cruise lines insist on placing their prestige suites on the "corners" of the ship rather than low and mid-ships....

Since December 2023 I’ve taken 5 Vista cruises and have been in 8130 (concierge veranda), 7077 (French veranda), and 9123 (concierge veranda) and have not noticed the noise being any different than on the other Oceania ships. Occasionally I might hear the TV from an adjacent room or voices, but nothing more than usual. I think a lot depends on your neighbors and how loud they are.

• Like 5

We were in 10018 in September (NY to Montreal) and regularly heard our next door neighbors’ TV and some conversations.  It was an annoyance but not a terrible problem.

We have done a couple of Vista trips as well, both in PH’s. I am sure we might have heard some muffled noise from an adjacent room but nothing that would keep either of us awake and my DW is a VERY Light sleeper.  We fortunately missed all the Oh dark 30 a.m. TV programs, loud talking or Screaming Matches that some posters have commented about. 
I just take along some ear plugs and plug in my CPAP machine and doze off, much to my DW’s chagrin. All I can say is plan ahead and if you need white noise or other RX’s to help your sleep, bring them along. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

If I run into my neighbor I will ask if he can hear our TV. 😉

Now, can we talk about the hot staterooms at night.  We have our air down to the lowest cool setting, do not leave the balcony door open, and we keep the curtains closed all day.  The room seems fine during the day.  I can barely sleep at night and have been waking up in a sweat this week.  😕

• Like 2

3 hours ago, makai 7 said:

I think Carnival folks call that a "night owl" cabin.  These are cabins near/under or around a later night venue.  I believe Carnival usually sells those cabins at a discount.  But some cruise lines have a habit of putting their most expensive suites in places that are near later night venues.  Shame on the marine architect.  After cruising for more than 50 years on far more than 70 vessels, a friend once asked us about our quietest cabin.  That was easy to answer.  It was a very low category inside cabin (on the lowest passenger deck) on the Queen Mary 2.  Not only was our cabin quiet. but we could not even hear the fog horn (which sounded every two minutes for nearly 5 days).  Those in the most expensive suites did not get a lot of sleep.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

If I run into my neighbor I will ask if he can hear our TV. 😉

Now, can we talk about the hot staterooms at night.  We have our air down to the lowest cool setting, do not leave the balcony door open, and we keep the curtains closed all day.  The room seems fine during the day.  I can barely sleep at night and have been waking up in a sweat this week.  😕

Have you spoken to Engineering about checking the cooling temperature and flow and having them open the vents fully  That may not be the problem, but on  a past cruise, it made a difference.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1