Vista noise question

Tsunami74

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

I just take along some ear plugs and plug in my CPAP machine and doze off, much to my DW’s chagrin. All I can say is plan ahead and if you need white noise or other RX’s to help your sleep, bring them along.

I've got an even easier solution:  Place my hearing aids in the recharger. 😇

(DW envies me sometimes 😉)

• Like 1

We were in cabin #8048 on Vista last August.  We got a call saying that our TV could be heard in the next cabin .  We felt we had it on super low.  

We were in #8048 in January -- B2B  -- didn't hear TV noise on the first leg, very noticeable on the 2nd leg.  I don't think they had a loud volume --  I do agree with previous comments that the fan noise was very low in the cabin. For a short cruise, the sound proofing was not a deal breaker, but we gave it serious thought if we were to book a much longer cruise, such as an ATW.

10 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I’ll ask about but it seems strange that it would be cool enough during the day but get hot during the night.

This is a common theme on all the brands boards I've read over the years on CC. Conspiracy minded people will tell you it's the cruise lines that turn down the whole system at night to save money. Others will attribute it to one or more cabins in their section will be sleeping with their balcony door open to hear the ocean. I don't know the answer, I do know I've experienced it in certain rooms. We have a little portable clock that has a thermometer on it that gives us an accurate idea whether there is a problem or if it's us. 

FWIW, I don't think a new ship should have this problem, apparently your room does. 

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Conspiracy minded people will tell you it's the cruise lines that turn down the whole system at night to save money.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence."

The one time we had this problem (not on O), the thermostat wires were connected backwards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just throwing this out there.  Seen a few suggestions and theories to the cause of noise between cabins (personally did not experience it on our cruise) such as speakers on TV on back of TV….potential gaps where wall and ceiling meets behind the walls. If either of these are potentially the reason, what could be done to correct the issue AND how long would such a fix take? I do see that Vista arrives in Miami on 1/3/25 and the next cruise departs on 1/8/25.  Could a fix take place in this short of a timeline?

1 hour ago, Nitrodog said:

9034 should be fine noise wise. Cabins on the deck above and below yours. We were in 9114 a month ago and had no issues at all.

We always are careful to book a cabin with only cabins above and below.  It seems as if the noise problem is mostly coming from next door or even the hall.

We have been blessed to be on many cruises and stays at resorts, but have never had any noise problems. (Of course, did in cheaper hotels)  I cannot believe that we have always been lucky to have quiet people around us, so it must have been the sound proofing.

This is apparently lacking in at least some of the cabins on Vista.

I wonder if some of this is just down to people blasting their TVs because they are hard of hearing. Oceania obviously caters to seniors (myself included). When my mom's hearing went, I would go to her condo and she would have the TV volume on 99.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, seascot said:

We could hear our neighbours on the phone to their family.  

I'm sure that's true, but people who are hard of hearing tend to speak loudly as well. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case on Oceania, but we have lived in a very well-built condo for 14 years and have never had noise pollution from our next-door neighbors until the most recent owner moved in, who is hard of hearing. We hear his TV, we hear him shouting into his phone, etc. And to top if off he turned one of his bedrooms--the one that our bedroom shares a wall with--into a media room!!! But he's a nice guy and agreed not to play the TV loud after 9:00 pm.  

4 hours ago, seascot said:

It's not just TV related.  We could hear our neighbours on the phone to their family.  

Well they knew they were a long way away from their family so had to shout to make sure they were heard. 

• Haha 7

we are in 9089 and wonder if anyone on the Boards has noticed a noise problem there.

Also, we are on Navigator cruise April 11 Rome to Valetta, have not found where to sign up. Is there a meet and greet scheduled.

Maryalice

1 hour ago, watersprite said:

we are in 9089 and wonder if anyone on the Boards has noticed a noise problem there.

Also, we are on Navigator cruise April 11 Rome to Valetta, have not found where to sign up. Is there a meet and greet scheduled.

Maryalice

Be aware that the noise problem is directly related to the occupants on the cabins on each side of you....cabins empty, occupants don't use TV, talk in low indoor voices, aren't in cabin much then no noise...so one person's experience can be different than another,

The Meet and Greet would be organized on your roll call so check there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2024 at 12:19 AM, Iamthesea said:

I’ll ask about but it seems strange that it would be cool enough during the day but get hot during the night.

Many hotels (Disney especially)have switched to an occupancy sensor to regulate the heating/cooling system in rooms. We have noticed recently, that a few ships seem to do the same thing. If someone gets up at night to use the lav, we wave our hands over the sensor or attach a balloon or similar that would bob around near the sensor to keep the air on all night. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CardowMD said:

Many hotels (Disney especially)have switched to an occupancy sensor to regulate the heating/cooling system in rooms. We have noticed recently, that a few ships seem to do the same thing. If someone gets up at night to use the lav, we wave our hands over the sensor or attach a balloon or similar that would bob around near the sensor to keep the air on all night. 

Leave acrefit card in the slot by the door and ac will stay on

19 hours ago, basor said:

Be aware that the noise problem is directly related to the occupants on the cabins on each side of you....cabins empty, occupants don't use TV, talk in low indoor voices, aren't in cabin much then no noise...so one person's experience can be different than another.

Directly related to nearby occupants is the key point. Seems you will certainly have a noise problem on Vista if you have the "wrong" neighbors. Matter of luck whether random choice of guests in adjacent cabins will allow you to sleep and otherwise affect enjoyment of your cruise. When booking your cruise on Vista then question of "Do you feel lucky?" comes to mind.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, edgee said:

... When booking your cruise on Vista then question of "Do you feel lucky?" comes to mind.

Though if Inspector "Dirty" Harry Callahan were on the job solving the noise problem...

“I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?”

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Kay S said:

This noise thing seems to be restricted to the Vista, right?  

I am sure you will find post of a noise problem in every cabin category on every ship if you search....loud/noisy cabin neighbors are not limited to just Vista....one person's "quiet" cabin can be the next person's "noisy" cabin due to neighbors.

Edited by basor

We had the issue on Seabourn a few years back. The elderly, hard of hearing couple had left the TV on and fallen asleep. At 3am, my hammering on the door did not raise them so I trundled off to Seabourn square who kept ringing til they picked up and turned it off 😜

4 hours ago, Techno123 said:

We had the issue on Seabourn a few years back. The elderly, hard of hearing couple had left the TV on and fallen asleep. At 3am, my hammering on the door did not raise them so I trundled off to Seabourn square who kept ringing til they picked up and turned it off 😜

5 hours ago, basor said:

I am sure you will find post of a noise problem in every cabin category on every ship if you search....loud/noisy cabin neighbors are not limited to just Vista....one person's "quiet" cabin can be the next person's "noisy" cabin due to neighbors.

No. I have been on more than forty cruise ships. Something different about Vista in a not good way. Never heard so much noise between cabins. Pretty ridiculous.

• Like 5