Why is flying SJU so expensive!

drg1223

I saw this question asked about 20 years ago with no new answers.  So I went from EWR to SJU this past January and the flights were really expensive but I was able to get some good flights using award travel.  I am looking for next January, which I know is very far out to look, but there seems to be less direct flights and so expensive.  With more cruise ships starting from SJU, why are the amount of flights drying up and costs increasing?  Has anyone else been seeing this?

Absolutely correct, Bruce.

In spite of the thinking that "there are more cruiseships", SJU does not have the economics for huge lift.

And to the OP:  Just what do you think is "really expensive"?  And why?  Have you been tracking pricing for the last year or two to see the SJU market or air pricing in general?   Plus, know that January is a high demand season into SJU.

• Like 1

Now this is just based on a one-way home from SJU, but we don't it expensive from this perspective.

We have just booked a trans-atlantic from Barcelona to San Juan, and the whole multi-city flight 

YYZ-BCN / SJU-YYZ is under a thousand bucks CDN. (Economy)  To me that is a good price, it is just for us the limitation of airlines that fly from SJU to YYZ and the schedule times that are not optimum.

As FlyerTalker has asked - what do you consider expensive?

I thought it might be interesting to take a look at January flights from NYC to SJU.  I found flights as cheap as $253 (round trip) on Jetblue (out of JFK). Delta has some flights for just under $300 .I suspect that flying out of JFK might be the most economical because of the competition from Jetblue.  Newark also shows some fares under $300 (round trip).  

This makes me wonder what the OP considers reasonable.  

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 1:58 PM, drg1223 said:

With more cruise ships starting from SJU, why are the amount of flights drying up and costs increasing?  Has anyone else been seeing this?

Econ 101...supply and demand.

When supply decreases (fewer flights), price rises

When demand increases (more cruise ships starting from SJU), price rises

Decrease supply AND increase demand?  Prices will soar

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2024 at 1:58 PM, drg1223 said:

With more cruise ships starting from SJU, why are the amount of flights drying up and costs increasing?  

Well, if you're looking at a 20yr history American Airlines, traditionally the largest carrier at SJU has severely cutback service to SJU. The aircraft they mostly used on these routes to/from MIA and JFK were retired (Airbus A300s)  and the yields just aren't there to replace like with like. Newer widebodies have been deployed elsewhere....

Also, despite what many on here seem to think cruiselines don't drive the entire airline business. Even to traditionally cruise heavy areas (MIA, FLL, Rome, Barcelona etc.) it's a very small percentage of passengers that are getting on a ship.

• Like 1