Miami rental car to cruise terminal

love4god

My wife and I are driving down to Miami w/ a one way rental that we have to drop off on Saturday morning. I was thinking of just taking an Uber, or maybe a shuttle back to our hotel and uber from there.  Is there a better option to get from the Miami airport to the Cruise Terminal if I'm not flying in but dropping off my car?

Uber would be your cheapest option...just did this 2 weeks ago...$20 from airport to South Beach hotel...$26 from hotel to cruise terminal but it was extremely busy and construction caused a delay. Probably somewhere in-between for airport to cruise terminal. 

Why drop it off at the airport? There should be much closer options to the terminal. They may have a shuttle service from the car rental place to the terminal.

I used Enterprise once and they drove me the extra like one mile from the car rental place I returned to to where I was ultimately heading.

Last year we dropped the rental car…Enterprise…at a hotel drop very close to the pier and took a regular taxi from hotel to pier for less than $20. Very easy and plan to do it again picking up a car at the hotel office after an April cruise.

I don't know where you're coming from but if you can take brightline into Miami I would recommend that, my wife and I went from Miami to Ft Lauderdale first class and we had a blast, it was like hanging out at a wine bar

We did a rental to downtown Miami once and it was a hot mess.  Luckily we dropped car then quick shuttle to ship.   Those picking up cars was long line.

I'd drop at airport and go from there.

• Like 1

We picked up a car for a day at York car rental which is off site. DO NOT RENT A CAR THERE. It was absolutely ridiculous all the fees, and I had to buy their insurance, otherwise it was a $2000 deposit. For a day. Also, they gave me the wrong size of a car, which I had prepaid for…but nothing they could do. They were rude and I will never do off site again. 

11 minutes ago, crazycatlady82 said:

We picked up a car for a day at York car rental which is off site. DO NOT RENT A CAR THERE. It was absolutely ridiculous all the fees, and I had to buy their insurance, otherwise it was a $2000 deposit. For a day. Also, they gave me the wrong size of a car, which I had prepaid for…but nothing they could do. They were rude and I will never do off site again. 

York car rental? I have never even heard of that brand.

Stick with like Hertz, Avis, Enterprise, etc and you’ll be fine.

When you drop off a car at the Rental Car Center at MIA, especially with one of the major rental car companies, you'll find a staff of greeters who will scan the code on the door, close your rental and print/email your receipt. You can then be on your way to the port via taxi or rideshare.

When you return your car to a city/neighborhood location, you typically have to park your car and go inside to close your rental. Inside, on a port day (which is pretty much every day in Port Miami, you'll find the above-described chaos with so many coming off ships and renting cars while you and others return cars. If you have a hotel, then taxi/rideshare/hotel shuttle to the hotel. In either case, save the heartache and return to the airport rental car center.

• 3 weeks later...

The York city location is a pain to rent at but you could drop there.  If you are not staying in town you could drop wife and luggage at pier, then drop car at York, then take the free Miami Trolley back to the pier.

If you are dropping the car at the airport you could take the light rail into Miami and get a cab from there to the port.  Trolley won't work because it can't handle luggage.

What company are you using? Budget/Avis location on 2nd Street Miami has a free shuttle to POM. We just did this exact thing...couldn't have been easier.

Costco has great rates for rentals.