SS/SB

Capri73

We have traveled only SS and SB we like the small size, the fact that everyone dresed property not  black tie.We did sail when this what the normal.I am Ok with the relaxed dress code but I refuse to sit next to someone in fit flops,hats,etc.,shorts.I will move on it is sad because it does not take a lot of effort to put on shoes, pants,and just be clean. We are taking a SB this July for 14 days. I hope people just dress like they are not going to Mc Donald's

I think you are looking for information on what to expect regarding dress on Seabourn.  If so, I can offer the following:  Generally, Seabourn passengers look pretty good in the evening, resort casual on most nights, and dress-up on formal nights.  During the day, it's another story and folks dress like they are on a cruise ship.  I do not see any difference between Silversea and Seabourn on how passengers choose to dress.  Pretty much the same.

We were on Seabourn Encore for 30 nights this past December-January. We much prefer Seabourn over Silversea, but were surprised how much more casual Seabourn passengers generally were dressed in the evening, as opposed to what we observed on Silversea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mieu said:

We were on Seabourn Encore for 30 nights this past December-January. We much prefer Seabourn over Silversea, but were surprised how much more casual Seabourn passengers generally were dressed in the evening, as opposed to what we observed on Silversea.

I agree - I was going to post much the same comment.  Seabourn has gone a bit more 'casual', though it is still a good idea for men to wear a jacket and tie minimum on 'formal' nights in the dining room.   Not so many dark suits or dinner jackets (tuxedos) seen now.

11 hours ago, lincslady said:

I agree - I was going to post much the same comment.  Seabourn has gone a bit more 'casual', though it is still a good idea for men to wear a jacket and tie minimum on 'formal' nights in the dining room.   Not so many dark suits or dinner jackets (tuxedos) seen now.

My only caveat to your response is that dress is sometimes dependent on cruise region. I have seen far fewer jackets and ties, and sometimes no formal wear at all, in the Caribbean with SB and SS. 

On Seabourn in the Caribbean, people will wear shorts and sandals to breakfast and lunch.  For dinner I've occasionally seen men in golf shirts/khakis and women in cotton blouses with capri pants (which to me seems pretty casual but is allowed).  However, I don't let the attire of the people around me ruin my vacation especially if they are behaving fine in other ways.  A women in capri pants bugs me less than a chair hog or someone giving the staff a hard time.

We haven't been on SS in a long time, but the age of the typical Seabourn passenger is now baby boomer.  Times do change.  No big band music to be heard, plenty of ABBA and Journey with an occasional Taylor Swift thrown in.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2024 at 2:54 AM, mieu said:

We were on Ovation in April and just leaving Nova now.  The extremely casual attire aboard this SS cruise was a surprise.  Guests on SB - also our favorite line - were dressed much nicer in the evenings overall. 

1 hour ago, stan01 said:

On Seabourn in the Caribbean, people will wear shorts and sandals to breakfast and lunch.  For dinner I've occasionally seen men in golf shirts/khakis and women in cotton blouses with capri pants (which to me seems pretty casual but is allowed).  However, I don't let the attire of the people around me ruin my vacation especially if they are behaving fine in other ways.  A women in capri pants bugs me less than a chair hog or someone giving the staff a hard time.

We haven't been on SS in a long time, but the age of the typical Seabourn passenger is now baby boomer.  Times do change.  No big band music to be heard, plenty of ABBA and Journey with an occasional Taylor Swift thrown in.

We LOVED the entertainment on SB!  Such talented musicians and it was FUN!   Much more so than SS, which was far more sedate.  Staff and crew on SB were exceptional as well. 

We were on the SB Quest in Jan/Feb this year.  One night a party of 4 came in to the dining room.  Three were dressed appropriately - one was in jean shorts, T-shirt and tennis shoes.  I had seen them earlier in the cruise where all were dressed as required.  I don't know why this one particular night the one gentleman didn't dress appropriately - maybe his stuff didn't come back from the laundry.  He should have made the decision to not come to the dining room, or Seabourn should have said, "No".  However, he was seated with his companions.  Personally, it didn't make my dinner any less enjoyable, but I am a stickler for rules.  Don't have em if you ain't gonna follow em.

• Like 1

My last cruise was SB. One night a guy came into the MDR wearing jeans and a faded round neck tee shirt with the obligatory logo. He then complained he was cold so staff fetched him a blanket to wrap around his shoulders. Encouragement not enforcement?

I understand questions were asked at the time but .....

Having said that, imho, the whole F&B department was shocking in its management....

1 hour ago, MBP&O2/O said:

My last cruise was SB. One night a guy came into the MDR wearing jeans and a faded round neck tee shirt with the obligatory logo. He then complained he was cold so staff fetched him a blanket to wrap around his shoulders. Encouragement not enforcement?

I understand questions were asked at the time but .....

Having said that, imho, the whole F&B department was shocking in its management....

We saw similar and worse on SS this past cruise.  I think the cruise lines are afraid of alienating anyone these days, and they choose not to enforce any policies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Personally, it didn't make my dinner any less enjoyable, but I am a stickler for rules.  Don't have em if you ain't gonna follow em

Is the dress code a rule or a suggested attire?

7 minutes ago, Joc123 said:

Is the dress code a rule or a suggested attire?

You are correct - it is suggested attire.  I suppose as with many other things in life, there is an implied social contract with suggested attire.

2 hours ago, jjs217 said:

You are correct - it is suggested attire.  I suppose as with many other things in life, there is an implied social contract with suggested attire.

Suggested attire, but it is clearly written for the MDR for dinner, “no ripped jeans, no shorts, no thongs/flip flops”.  Long jeans with a button through shirt, and jacket if appropriate, is neat and nice.

The GM rules. Some enforce policies; others throw up their hands and claim they are helpless because guests will be offended 

I personally don’t care who wears what but if you ignore a stated dress policy will folks be smoking on their verandahs next?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For some reason, I do not think it is because people on SS/SB are poor and are travelling on a budget.  They have never been in my budget to consider. 

15 hours ago, 65Mommy said:

For some reason, I do not think it is because people on SS/SB are poor and are travelling on a budget.  They have never been in my budget to consider. 

Huh???