Yacht Club vs Regent Grandeur

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mnpurple said:

An interior cabin has a walk in shower, LOL. Might not be as roomy as you'd like though!  Great pressure!  You might be able to book two and use one as your closet, hehe.

Funny you mention this. There was so little wardrobe space that DW had to use the living room and we lived out of the suitcases. We are positive that any Diva occupying such a small Royal Suite needs another one or two cabins next door.  Many of the Retreat cabins SS was & CS have these tub/shower combos. But thanks for the tip on the insides having full walk-in showers, someone reading will find this helpful.

P.S. We use the bathtub to hold the bathrobes which take up too much space in the bureau.

IMG_0214.jpeg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Double check under the mattress, just in case there is a pea there..... 😁🤣

The same fairy tale crossed my mind with my 'Princess'.

P.S. But I learned to keep my mouth shut, or 'discretion is the better part of valor'.

P.S.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

seldom frequent

An oxymoron...like the buffet serving jumbo shrimp. ☺️...While I make myself laugh, I won't quite my day job.

Serious question...do they have glass return trays/bins for used glassware and dishes?

10 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Serious question...do they have glass return trays/bins for used glassware and dishes?

Only saw these trays placed on every floor in front of elevators on embarkation day for the Champagne.

Otherwise one will find soiled items just walking decks, or a soiled napkin wedged on top of clean towels, or out in the hallway of a neighbor.

P.S. seldom frequent (verb eg.visit, haunt, patronize, or spend time in) mostly to take photos.

IMG_3705.jpeg

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3724.jpeg

IMG_3729.jpeg

• Like 1

Soiled food trays gross me out

is that even an expression or am I dating myself

Not a big germaphobe yet really bad manners, lack of handwashing, using a fork/knife like a shovel and I am sick to watch

I fail to understand why trays/glasses sit in public halls--when ANY crew/staff can collect them and bring them to any central station behind closed walls-doors. 

Embarkation can be crazy-- yet I don't believe that no crew passed those halls in the hours later/evening etc.  If they see it-- it should be moved-- regardless of job description.

I have to laugh about the RSS class of pax vs MSC...

It is true that a big ship of any line gets a variety of pax from the ship within a ship vs GP...

Yet I will say that ability to spend $ does not and will never breed class/decorum/manners/gratitude. Have seen abominable behavior ..and don't we all..

Just watch social media/news and the "entitled"

In other news, hope you both are having a lovely vacay and we appreciate the comparison..as we have thought about Long sails, and ship within a ship vs an all suite class on large ships vs smaller boutique.

TY for the thread.

Best

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Here is a quick 360 degree video of the Constellation Theatre hours before the 9pm showing of Mission Impossible III.   There is a complimentary  table set up of can sodas and bags of popcorn. Saw a few guests come in just for the bags of popcorn and leave. On MSC Seaships one will find dozens of passengers come in at all times during the performances and others get up and leave at all times during the performances. Here on Regent we had a slightly similar experience tonight. We sat in the back of the theatre in the last row right near the exit. There came into the theatre after us a threesome a little older than us, who sat three rows right in front of us and the women in front of me got up a dozen times, first for a drink, then a bag of popcorn, then another bag of popcorn for her husband, then a drink again, then to the bathroom, all within 15 minutes of the movie. There were only a dozen movie goers and we had the the most inconsiderate in front of us. My DW leans over and whispers, "You know that this same movie can be played complimentary in our cabin as well". We got up and left. When we got back to the cabin I told her to start it from the beginning again.

IMG_3752.jpeg

Last night there was no production show, instead a movie in the theatre attended by just a dozen guests. 

This is interesting. Once per cruise there is a relatively unannounced pool deck barbecue party similar to the unannounced pool party buffet with one of the groups on board providing live music on MSC Seaships on the One Pool deck in the Yacht Clubs. In the YC one's butler gives one the heads up. The only listing I found was in the Daily "Passages" under "Dining Options" Grand Deck Barbecue Deck 11 & 12 6:30 - 9 pm (photo below). The reason there is no hoopla is because the venue can not accommodate all that would like to attend with a table. 

The pool is closed at 2 pm to prepare for this Grand Barbecue. The deck was cleared of all lounges and tables brought in. At around 5 pm everyone filters in to grab a table and by 6:30 all the tables are taken. Please notice the tables on the second deck appear empty but they are all "saved" chair hogged. (See photo below).

Not being self-service buffet aficionados we only walked around to take in the experience. We ate at our usual table in Compass Rose at 6:30 pm. Compass Rose filled up quite rapidly with discouraged passengers who could find no seats no table at the Grand Barbecue. Seated next to us was a couple that exclaimed such to the maitre d while being seated.

Noticed the entire  barbecue pool deck passengers covet these seats for the entire evening as the entertainment out at the pool is continuous with dancing (not much and right next to ones table) and a local folklore show/The Mariachi &Mexican Dancers til 9:30 pm. One may have caught these same performers out on the pier performing during the day.

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_3751.jpeg

No priority for the upper suite guests? 

Unfortunate that they don't use a Maitre D to handle seating so that those present could sit for dinner 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

A famous Fabrege egg on display in the center of the main reception area. It is inside a clear case, I put my hand along side to give one an idea of its small size.

IMG_3759.mov

Really lovely. TY for sharing.

Hope dinner this evening is more pleasant

We are under the impression that the wifi on MSC Seaships is now Starlink. Read somewhere that Regent has rolled out Starlink on many of it's ships as well. I wonder if it is the same on MSC Seaships that we are experiencing with the streaming upgrade ? Most every commercial is in Spanish.

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Here the guests are older and sleep later."

Hmm...

The advantages of relative youth and speed may prove reason enough to reconsider. 

Frankly, I've been somewhat disinclined to give Regent a try. Too casual for me. (Full disclosure: We were booked with them once, but called it off when they moved the embarkation port offshore to Barbados.)

12 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Last night there was no production show, instead a movie

We went through our small luxury ship phase mostly in the mid 90's to mid 2000's and then after going on mid sized ships (Princess, HAL & Celebrity) and going back to small, we found we missed the amenities of the bigger ships. That combined with the growing informality of the dress codes on the mid sized ships helped put us off the smaller ships.

I rebelled at the idea of the mega ships. I mean who wants to ice skate in the Caribbean and ride a go kart in the fjords of Alaska....  me it turns out. The Retreat, Yacht Club and Haven are nice ways to make the megas more palatable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has been very interesting, thank you.  I have been on all of the older RSSC ships, some several times, but haven't been on the three new ones so I am going off a fairly old memory.  Did your wife ask the maitre d or the head waiter directly if she could have over the next few nights her steamed veggies with no salt?  I have seen Regent do some amazing things with 24 hour notice, and can't imagine steaming some veggies and not salting them would be beyond their grasp.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, no1talks said:

Too casual for me

That sir is because 'you are a man for all seasons'...""A man for all seasons" describes someone whose conscience and moral strength do not bend with the trends of different eras ... he remains true to his principles no matter what the prevailing attitudes are."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1