private water taxi from VCE into Venice

So, our Marina cruise docks in Trieste for Venice and we have scheduled private transportation Trieste to VCE with a goal of taking a private water taxi to the Venice hotel (we have a whole lot of bags).  I am now being told by the hotel that private water taxi service originating from VCE is only for those arriving via plane and the only option for us is to take a land taxicab or bus to Piazzale Roma and track down an available (non private) water taxi to get to the hotel.  Has anyone had this problem (only arriving plane passengers can have this direct service) or is the hotel being difficult?  

We spent 3 nights in Venice before taking the train to Trieste to board Riviera on 10/30/23. We flew into Marco Polo and took the public bus down to Venice, to the area where the buses stop, Piazzale Roma. Then a short walk to the vaporetto (water taxi). We had a Venice Pass for 72 hours of unlimited public water taxi use (that also got us into some museums). So many tourists are lugging so much luggage around to and from and on the water taxis. Our BnB was at the 2nd stop going East. The 1st stop going East is the train station (Ferrovia). Our stop was Riva di Biasio, and the BnB was about 100 yards away, down an alley. We had a great time using the public water taxis.

I don't have a definitive answer, I'm afraid. But what you've been told seems most odd to me. There are a number of water taxi companies servicing the airport and I don't see how anyone would know (or care) that you had not arrived there by plane. Maybe have a look at the websites of a couple of the companies on this link just to see.

https://www.veneziaairport.it/en/transport/private-boat.html

By the by, it really is the most magnificent way to arrive at your hotel and I'd thoroughly recommend it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

We spent 3 nights in Venice before taking the train to Trieste to board Riviera on 10/30/23. We flew into Marco Polo and took the public bus down to Venice, to the area where the buses stop, Piazzale Roma. Then a short walk to the vaporetto (water taxi). We had a Venice Pass for 72 hours of unlimited public water taxi use (that also got us into some museums). So many tourists are lugging so much luggage around to and from and on the water taxis. Our BnB was at the 2nd stop going East. The 1st stop going East is the train station (Ferrovia). Our stop was Riva di Biasio, and the BnB was about 100 yards away, down an alley. We had a great time using the public water taxis.

Which helps Bob how?

While this is very similar to what we did it doesn't appear to be what he is asking about at all. 

FWIW, it sounds like he was given bogus information, or perhaps a language issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We agree with Harters, unless there have been some major changes at VCE.  If arriving by bus, I do not recall any reason why anyone could not simply walk to the water piers (this used to be outside the airport secure area).  One should be able to arrange a private water taxi through any of the companies that serve the airport.  Perhaps this is simply an issue where the hotel does not get involved with transfers unless a person actually flies-in to the airport.  Just keep in mind that it is some distance between the terminal entrance (where buses drop folks) and the water pier.  Like in much of Europe, there is no guarantee that there will be anyone available to help with luggage so folks should be capable of getting their luggage from bus to boat.  Perhaps you get lucky and find a porter (for a price) but we are talking about Italy so who knows?

I should mention that the express ATVO bus (used to run about 2 or 3 times an hour) is a comfortable coach with plenty of luggage storage space (underneath the coach).  That is an easy way to get from VCE to the Piazale Roma, but then one still faces the problem of getting to their hotel (one reason why we sometimes stay at a small hotel right in the P. Roma).  Dragging more then one piece of luggage (per person) onto a Vaporetto is no fun and can be quite difficult if the vaporettos are full of passengers.

Hank

22 minutes ago, ORV said:

Which helps Bob how? While this is very similar to what we did it doesn't appear to be what he is asking about at all.... 

If he wants to pay a fortune...fine with me. Spend away.

If he wants to save a fortune...that's more my style. Learn your options.

And at the very least he needs to know about the various options. It amazes me at how much people are willing to spend when they don't know their options and are steered in only one direction. Those people who don't know, for example, how cheap, quick and easy it is to take a train from Venice to Trieste or vice versa. We paid E15.50 each.

Thanks for the responses and the contact info is very helpful.  I'm not sure what the problem is at the hotel and it is not a language issue.  The response was in a well written email and very specific about the "rules".  I'm now checking with the above recommended service providers to see what they say.  But ORV is correct.  This sounds like bad info from the hotel (which is very well known in Venice).

52 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

folks should be capable of getting their luggage from bus to boat. 

It's worth a mention that when we did this, the hotel entrance was about 75 metres from where the taxi dropped us (and picked us up a couple of days later - we'd gone for a long weekend). Getting your luggage off/on the taxi is not the easiest - my recollection is the boat didnt tie up so the guy was using the engine to maintain position, which means he didnt help with the luggage.  

• Like 2

As of fall 2021 there are moving walkways between the airport and the dock. The connector is covered and is a level or 2 above the sidewalk. There were also luggage carts available. Elevator available at each end. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob from Florida said:

I am now being told by the hotel that private water taxi service originating from VCE is only for those arriving via plane and the only option for us is to take a land taxicab or bus to Piazzale Roma and track down an available (non private) water taxi to get to the hotel.  Has anyone had this problem (only arriving plane passengers can have this direct service) or is the hotel being difficult? 

Maybe you tried to have the hotel reserve a water taxi for you...that might be a problem since they might need a flight number to know when you are really ready to use the water taxi.  But there is no need for a reservation.  Just go to the water taxi desk at the airport.  Tell them which hotel you are staying at and pay the bill.  They will give you a ticket and you take the long walk to where the water taxis are waiting.  You hand over your ticket and you will be directed to board your private water taxi.  Very easy process.

You will need to have good mobility to use the water taxis.  There is a big step from the boat to the pier.  And the boat driver may or may not help you with your luggage.

• Like 1

The water taxi desk is not in the secure part of the airport so I can’t understand what the hotel is saying. As has been mentioned, without flight arrival information you cannot pre book a water taxi but you should be able to go to the desk on the arrivals level, book there then do the long walk to the pier.

The moving sidewalks to get to the pier have been mentioned but unless things have changed from the last time we were there (this past February), you can’t take the luggage trolleys on them. So be prepared for the walk.

We go to Venice a lot and always use the water taxis since, as noted, it’s a wonderful way to arrive in Venice.  In good weather go to the back open area when you get to the city and enjoy the view by standing out there. Yes, they are expensive but, for us, they are very special and worth the cost and we like getting right to the hotel water entrance. The trick is to make sure you book a hotel or apartment that has a water entrance.

We have always had taxi drivers who helped with our luggage including the 10 times we have gone to Venice for the carnival and arrived with either 8 or 10 suitcases. Even with that mountain of luggage they have always been very helpful.  But perhaps we have been lucky and next time we might get a driver who doesn’t help. That will seriously impact what is generally a generous tip.

2 hours ago, Carnevale said:

The water taxi desk is not in the secure part of the airport so I can’t understand what the hotel is saying. As has been mentioned, without flight arrival information you cannot pre book a water taxi but you should be able to go to the desk on the arrivals level, book there then do the long walk to the pier.

The moving sidewalks to get to the pier have been mentioned but unless things have changed from the last time we were there (this past February), you can’t take the luggage trolleys on them. So be prepared for the walk.

We go to Venice a lot and always use the water taxis since, as noted, it’s a wonderful way to arrive in Venice.  In good weather go to the back open area when you get to the city and enjoy the view by standing out there. Yes, they are expensive but, for us, they are very special and worth the cost and we like getting right to the hotel water entrance. The trick is to make sure you book a hotel or apartment that has a water entrance.

We have always had taxi drivers who helped with our luggage including the 10 times we have gone to Venice for the carnival and arrived with either 8 or 10 suitcases. Even with that mountain of luggage they have always been very helpful.  But perhaps we have been lucky and next time we might get a driver who doesn’t help. That will seriously impact what is generally a generous tip.

I couldn’t agree more.  “La Serenissima” is my favourite city in the world.  My husband was born 100ks to the north, in beautiful Friuli, in the Julian Alps.  We have been to Venezia countless times.  It’s ethereal.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Good point. Do I remember there is enough room in the connector to use the luggage carts just not on the moving walkway part? 

2 hours ago, babysteps said:

Good point. Do I remember there is enough room in the connector to use the luggage carts just not on the moving walkway part? 

Yes - you can easily walk beside the moving sidewalks with a trolley.And you can take it on the elevator between the arrivals area where the desk is and the level where the walkway and pier are located,

• Like 1

We took the water taxi with no issues. You do not have to enter the secure area of the airport. Yes, it is a bit of a walk for sure. It is much more enjoyable than taking the bus which takes you to one stop, and you then need to schlep your bags to wherever your hotel is. Maybe the Hotel has some different agenda, but we took a private taxi directly to our hotel dock. It was absolutely the VERY BEST way to arrive in Venice. LOVED every minute of that experience!
The public water taxi service will take you to one of the regular stops, which would require you transporting your luggage to your hotel. That could be daunting depending on where your hotel is. 

So, update from above postings.  I contacted the recommended service providers and all said that however one arrives to VCE is of no concern to them.  If by car, simply say that in the on-line registration and approximate time to complete the transaction.  One of them said that clearly the hotel did not know what they were talking about and didn't know how to complete the reservation process without a flight involved.  Based upon the price the hotel was quoting (190 euros) vs direct booking (150 euros) I took out the middleman by booking direct with someone who knew what they were doing. 

• Like 7

On 3/14/2024 at 11:13 AM, Bob from Florida said:

So, our Marina cruise docks in Trieste for Venice and we have scheduled private transportation Trieste to VCE with a goal of taking a private water taxi to the Venice hotel (we have a whole lot of bags).  I am now being told by the hotel that private water taxi service originating from VCE is only for those arriving via plane and the only option for us is to take a land taxicab or bus to Piazzale Roma and track down an available (non private) water taxi to get to the hotel.  Has anyone had this problem (only arriving plane passengers can have this direct service) or is the hotel being difficult?  

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something, but what does the hotel have to do with how you get transportation from an airport to get to the hotel?

Obviously you didn't order this service through the hotel as you mentioned scheduling *private* transportation.

We've taken a water taxi from the airport to our hotel in Venice, and it was THE Most Spectacular Way to Arrive in Venice!  It was a bright sunny afternoon, and there we were, speeding along the little water-taxi route.

When we made the advance plans, we asked the vendor to please arrange for us to be taken down the Grand Canal as a "Grand Entrance" to the city, even though our hotel was on the other side (where the Grand Canal ends).

When we pulled up at the hotel dock, a few staff members came out to assist with our luggage.

And yes, depending upon the tide level... it can indeed be a ... BIG step up from the taxi to the dock.  I have some minor mobility difficulties, and suffice it to say that DH, er, how to put this... needed some assistance "shoving me up and out of the taxi" on to the dock.  Two staff members each had one of my arms to help me stabilize as I was "heaved up" so I didn't fall right back into the boat... or worse - kerplunk!  😳

It was a bit expensive, but DH only had one chance to "arrive in Venice for the first time", as they say.  Fun!

(We love to arrange these little extras, and it's even more fun when I can arrange it such that it's a surprise for him! 😉 )

Enjoy!

GC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bob from Florida said:

So, update from above postings.  I contacted the recommended service providers and all said that however one arrives to VCE is of no concern to them.  If by car, simply say that in the on-line registration and approximate time to complete the transaction.  One of them said that clearly the hotel did not know what they were talking about and didn't know how to complete the reservation process without a flight involved.  Based upon the price the hotel was quoting (190 euros) vs direct booking (150 euros) I took out the middleman by booking direct with someone who knew what they were doing. 

You are going to love every minute of this experience. I wish we were planning this experience again this year!  Yay!