Great Britain Cruise vs. Land

Tsunami74

Thanks much to each of you on your really valuable feedback.
 I need to do my homework. Really great suggestions here. It just proves my original theory that I need to narrow down my focus and discard the opportunity to see everything in one trip! 
There is just so much beauty and history to see in this incredible part of the world. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Absolutely!  We always travel shoulder season for that reason….Apr/May being our favorite times for multiple reasons. 
I just sincerely wonder if in a two week timeframe, one can visit that much geography without changing stay locations more often than we like. Friends took a two week trip to Scotland and Ireland last Fall. They were on the move way more than we want, and agreed upon return that it was more than they liked. And that is not even touching Wales, London, or the many lovely places surrounding. 

I am on a Globus for 24 days, doing all 5 countries in June. Numerous mornings or afternoons of free time, so it is not jam packed. Will be golfing in Ireland, a dream of myself and my spouse. The buses are not ever full, maybe 2/3.

Globus aims primarily at North Americans and Aussies and NZ's, so they know the type of hotels, food etc that is welcomed by their customers. Globus is also great at ensuring food stops of local food opportunity. They know what they are doing, and they good pricing due to their repeat and volume business.

• Like 1

Thank you to all who have given feedback on this topic. It is very much appreciated!

I think we have decided to do a do-it-yourself land tour with London base, and then take train to Edinburgh to use as a Scotland base. (If anyone has thoughts on the train from London to Edinburgh would appreciate those also!)

Will save Ireland and Wales for another visit. 

We eventually would like a circumnavigation cruise around Great Britain to see less known areas, but not start out with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

I am on a Globus for 24 days, doing all 5 countries in June. Numerous mornings or afternoons of free time, so it is not jam packed. Will be golfing in Ireland, a dream of myself and my spouse. The buses are not ever full, maybe 2/3.

Globus aims primarily at North Americans and Aussies and NZ's, so they know the type of hotels, food etc that is welcomed by their customers. Globus is also great at ensuring food stops of local food opportunity. They know what they are doing, and they good pricing due to their repeat and volume business.

Let us know how you enjoy your trip. Sounds like you will be covering a lot of geography! 
We used to travel longer trips or 4-5 weeks. Currently we see 2-2 1/2 weeks as the stretch with our pup/dog care. I think to see all the countries one needs to do a much longer trip, so I am a bit envious on that piece for sure! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tsunami74 said:

(If anyone has thoughts on the train from London to Edinburgh would appreciate those also!)

It's a really easy journey with a train every 30 minutes for most of the day.  LNER is the major player on the route, with Lumo the upstart-challenger.  Reports of Lumo are good, but they only have a few trains per day, so I advise LNER for the simple reason that they have far more capacity and options if something goes wrong.

We've used First Class much more in recent years.  Compared to Standard, the seats are larger and only 3 across the train; always have a window rather than a window-pillar next to them; there's a bit more luggage space; and best of all there's free food and drink (tea, coffee, soft drinks, beer & spirits) on offer at your seat.  There is a First Class lounge in London and other major LNER stops.

https://www.lner.co.uk/

With all UK rail, there's a delay-repay refund system (that kicks in after just 30 minutes on this route).  Book directly with LNER and you get an email in the event of a delay, with one click to claim your refund to your original payment method. https://www.lner.co.uk/support/refunds/delay-repay/

If taking First Class, it's probably worth buying (£30) a "Two Together" railcard.  https://www.twotogether-railcard.co.uk/  This get you 30% off all UK for a year, and often pays for itself with just one more-expensive journey.  The card is virtual: you just download it to your phone, so easy to apply from abroad.  You don't need it at the point you buy your ticket, only when you travel.

Edited by fruitmachine
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tsunami74 said:

If anyone has thoughts on the train from London to Edinburgh would appreciate those also!)

The East Coast Mainline route between the two cities is well served with about 25 trains a day. The main operator, LNER (London North Eastern Railway) operates from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh and takes about 4.5hrs. 

https://www.lner.co.uk/our-destinations/popular-routes/london-kings-cross-to-edinburgh-trains/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIk7rXn5L5hAMVy5NQBh2yBwjeEAAYASAAEgJpx_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's possibly more info on the British Isles ports forum (it's a well trodden two-centre route for American tourists) and, as ever, Google will be your friend. 

• Like 2

A couple of people have mentioned visiting the 5 countries of the UK. Southern Ireland or more properly known as the Republic of Ireland is an independent nation and still part of the EU and therefore not part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Northern Ireland. But that's only nit picking 😁

The North Coast 500 in Scotland is a trip we would like to do (the Scottish Route 66 😜) but gets very, very busy in the summer.

• Like 3

I'd not heard of the North Coast 500 before tonight. More research needed into practicalities but I'm hoping that finds its way on to our "to do" list.

Years back, I had an idea of buying a motorhome and driving the whole coastline of Britain, maybe taking a year. Never got round to it but the NC500 might be a partial thing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Harters said:

'd not heard of the North Coast 500 before tonight.

Nor had I. Google was my friend. It was opened since we were last there.

• Like 2

Agree Cruisemom. Have a trip coming up this Aug/Sept to British Isles. We will do both….usually do. Land and sea….sea and land. Pick a base/land destination and take trains to various destinations. Cruise gets us around the edges. Best of both travel worlds! 

• Like 2

I'm not quite sure why people would suggest a first time visitor to the UK skip London.   Some of the best museums in the world are there.  Westminster Abbey, Tower of London and the British Museum are not things to be missed.

Additionally,  I'd strongly recommend the Scottish Highlands.   Some absolutely incredible scenery as well as unique history.  If you like Scotch, you might want to stop in the Speyside and Islay areas as well.

• Like 4

On 3/16/2024 at 11:09 PM, Harters said:

I'd not heard of the North Coast 500 before tonight. More research needed into practicalities but I'm hoping that finds its way on to our "to do" list.

Years back, I had an idea of buying a motorhome and driving the whole coastline of Britain, maybe taking a year. Never got round to it but the NC500 might be a partial thing. 

it's on my bucket list. I too love the idea of a campervan/motorhome but Himself won't go anywhere without a proper en suire (not one that needs emptying by us!) so I probably won't get to do it now. 

I'd be tempted to do both if at all possible - maybe London and surrounding area at the start of the cruise, then Scotland/Lake District at the end. We've decided that next year we'll probably stay in the UK (I have some potential health issues) and explore more of our own country. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

We've decided that next year we'll probably stay in the UK (I have some potential health issues)

We did that a couple of years back. A couple of undiagnosed health issues meant we couldnt get travel insurance at all. Diagnosed now, so can get insurance but it's very, very,  expensive. And then it's just about doubled because we're in the States and Caribbean, only for a few day, at the start of a transatlantic cruise. I'm sure that will be our last trip to the States - just becoming unaffordable for us. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Harters said:

We did that a couple of years back. A couple of undiagnosed health issues meant we couldnt get travel insurance at all. Diagnosed now, so can get insurance but it's very, very,  expensive. And then it's just about doubled because we're in the States and Caribbean, only for a few day, at the start of a transatlantic cruise. I'm sure that will be our last trip to the States - just becoming unaffordable for us. 

it's infuriating isn't it. I'm more concerned about it curtailing my traveling than the actual condition! I hope I find out soon. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

it's infuriating isn't it.

Absolutely. We've lost three recent cruises. First was an Alaska cruise that was cancelled at the beginning of Covid (that was for my 70th). Then days before we were due to go on the next one, we caught Covid and werent allowed to board (that was for our 50th anniversary). And the third was the one related to the insurance problem. You get to the point where you just want to give up and have a week in North Wales instead. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Harters said:

We use a bank flexi account which for a small monthly fee includes world wide travel. Just pay a bit extra for age and disclosed conditions. We’ve found it the most economical way for travel insurance now.

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

V - we used to do that with our NatWest account at the time, paying additional premium for existing conditions. That is until they declined to continue to insure me because of my conditions. We moved to Staysure and then AllClear. Premium was £1400 until we had to add the States and Caribbean for six days , then it doubled. Renewal is just about due and they are offering a 20% discount and we'll able to reduce it further as we won'tneed the States and a couple of medical issues are now resolved. But it'll still be an eye-wateringly big outlay. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harters said:

Absolutely. We've lost three recent cruises. First was an Alaska cruise that was cancelled at the beginning of Covid (that was for my 70th). Then days before we were due to go on the next one, we caught Covid and werent allowed to board (that was for our 50th anniversary). And the third was the one related to the insurance problem. You get to the point where you just want to give up and have a week in North Wales instead. 😀

Why on earth would you want to go on a cruise departing from the USA when you could come to North Wales instead. Views from my window of Conwy mountain and behind it Tal y Fan and then Anglesey and Puffin Island hiding at the base of the trees. I promise the sun was shining this morning 😂😂😂😂😂😜

image.jpg

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

I promise the sun was shining this morning

Actually we had planned an overnight visit a couple of weeks back. Premier Inn at Glan Conwy booked. And we'd booked dinner at a restaurant new to us in Llandudno. But the forecast said it was going to throw it down both days, so we cancelled. We'll get over in a few weeks when we're back from the cruise

And, yes, I know the sun shines sometimes.  🙂

@Harters - it has been doing far too much throwing it down of late. Other half is most unhappy as forecast is for torrential rain tomorrow so no golf for him 😜

Sadly, I ruptured my Achilles tendon skiing so my walking is along the promenade with my boot and crutches being overtaken by everyone 😂😂 but got my vitamin D this morning.

Which restaurant were you going to?

40 minutes ago, Harters said:

V - we used to do that with our NatWest account at the time, paying additional premium for existing conditions. That is until they declined to continue to insure me because of my conditions. We moved to Staysure and then AllClear. Premium was £1400 until we had to add the States and Caribbean for six days , then it doubled. Renewal is just about due and they are offering a 20% discount and we'll able to reduce it further as we won'tneed the States and a couple of medical issues are now resolved. But it'll still be an eye-wateringly big outlay. 

We were with them but it became too complicated adding money on here and there. We moved to Nationwide flexi and it probably costs us around £500 a year, including £13 a month for the account. Covers US, it is ‘worldwide’. We have four ‘conditions’ and add ‘cruise cover’ for missed ports for £40 a year included! Might be worth taking a look.

2 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

We were with them but it became too complicated adding money on here and there. We moved to Nationwide flexi and it probably costs us around £500 a year, including £13 a month for the account. Covers US, it is ‘worldwide’. We have four ‘conditions’ and add ‘cruise cover’ for missed ports for £40 a year included! Might be worth taking a look.

Plus there’s AA breakdown cover and phone insurance and other stuff I can’t remember. Also we had a large claim when we had to cancel a cruise in February. Did everything online after making the claim by phone and we were paid out almost in full, £50 pp excess, within 4 weeks.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

Which restaurant were you going to?

Next Door.

It's owned by the Dunoon Hotel which , erm, it's next door to.

We spotted it last time we were in town and thought  the menu seemed a "cut above" and worth a try. 

Hope the tendon sorts itself out soon. 

John

Our first O cruise was around the British Isles. It was fabulous. Got to see many interesting ports.  It was a good way to experience the variety of ports.  We have also stayed in some of the big cities before and after. They are all interesting.  A land tour may also be a good way to get to many places. I used to do land tours. However, I prefer picking my hotels, restaurants and venues. Land tours have a set itinerary which may not fit you.  On a cruise, you can select excursions from a variety of interests.  Cruise made me realize that there were places in the UK that are more interesting than I had previously thought. Liverpool was amazing. Need to go back there.  Cruise can be an interesting way to go. You may also choose to stay a few days before or after the cruise.  Oceania is marvelous if you book air. No deviation fee to arrive up to 3 days early or stay after up to 3 days.  Whichever you choose, have a great time.

28 minutes ago, Harters said:

Next Door.

It's owned by the Dunoon Hotel which , erm, it's next door to.

We spotted it last time we were in town and thought  the menu seemed a "cut above" and worth a try. 

Hope the tendon sorts itself out soon. 

John

Yes a lot of thought went into that name 😁 We were taken there by my cousin when he was over from Rome. We really enjoyed it. Tapas style with very helpful staff. Hope you enjoy it when you eventually make it over 😁

We haven't sailed on Oceania for 10 years so thinking of giving the Vista a go later this year on a Med cruise. Seeing my consultant on Monday to check its knitting together before I risk booking though as I know the insurance company won't cover me as they had to pay a fair chunk to get me home!! I can highly recommend the Austrian public health system though if you are looking for somewhere land locked. Hopefully we have quiet neighbours 😜