Using Uber in the Mexican Riviera

mitsugirly

Can anyone explain how this works? I have asked a few times in other places and don't seem to get an answer (although I have seen people mention to use it). 

Is there anything you have to do on the Uber app when in Mexico? Switch it from US$ to peso? If not, does it give you the amount in US? 

2 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

Is there anything you have to do on the Uber app when in Mexico?

No-- you use it just like you would anywhere else. 

witch it from US$ to peso? If not, does it give you the amount in US? 

It will give you the pricing in MXN. You can use an app like XE Converter to do the conversion. It will bill your credit card in MXN so make sure you have a credit card linked to it that doesnt have foreign transaction fees. 

3 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

No-- you use it just like you would anywhere else. 

It will give you the pricing in MXN. You can use an app like XE Converter to do the conversion. It will bill your credit card in MXN so make sure you have a credit card linked to it that doesnt have foreign transaction fees. 

Awesome! Thank you so much. 

Do they just have Uber or also Lyft?

Posted (edited)

In Mazatlan, it's probably easier to use a Pulmonia (think open air VW Bug). It's a Mazatlan thing. If you do use a Pulmonia (or regular cab for that matter), ALWAYS KNOW the price (per person or per vehicle) before you get in.

In Cabo - DON'T call for an UBER near a Taxi stand. The Taxi Cartel (yes, you read that right) is not at all happy with UBER cutting into their Golden Goose. Walk a block or 2 away from any taxi pickup location.

Example of a Mazatlan Pulmonia

20210116_115047-scaled-e1610900619431.jpg.8acb4a5b9f54230ec3253bb71ec9bc86.jpg

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 1

There is Uber, taxi and InDriver in Puerto Vallarta.  With a taxi you should verify the cost when you enter the taxi so there are no surprises at the end.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

In Mazatlan, it's probably easier to use a Pulmonia (think open air VW Bug). It's a Mazatlan thing. If you do use a Pulmonia (or regular cab for that matter), ALWAYS KNOW the price (per person or per vehicle) before you get in.

In Cabo - DON'T call for an UBER near a Taxi stand. The Taxi Cartel (yes, you read that right) is not at all happy with UBER cutting into their Golden Goose. Walk a block or 2 away from any taxi pickup location.

Example of a Mazatlan Pulmonia

Thanks for the info. We haven't been able to figure out what to do in Mazatlan yet (thought we had an excursion over to Deer Island but then the place we were booking with dropped off the face of the earth and stopped answering me in the last 3 weeks).  Love those Pulmonia's. When we stayed in Isla Mujeres Mexico we rented one that looked like a Jeep and had such a blast on it!

In Cabo, we won't need a ride (our excursion is right after you get off the dock in the marina).

We are needing a ride in La Paz to the marina (past where the free bus takes you to and we are on a time crunch to get there) otherwise we would probably just take the bus and then walk the rest of the way but I think it might be a little too far. 

image.thumb.png.e1442dd54782e5db370a0dbbaf9b3982.png

In PV, we need a ride from the cruise port around to the other side of the marina at the end.

image.thumb.png.fc1942ff9d3aa9b97ac5ed40b2bf5e53.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. We haven't been able to figure out what to do in Mazatlan yet (thought we had an excursion over to Deer Island but then the place we were booking with dropped off the face of the earth and stopped answering me in the last 3 weeks).  Love those Pulmonia's. When we stayed in Isla Mujeres Mexico we rented one that looked like a Jeep and had such a blast on it!

In Cabo, we won't need a ride (our excursion is right after you get off the dock in the marina).

We are needing a ride in La Paz to the marina (past where the free bus takes you to and we are on a time crunch to get there) otherwise we would probably just take the bus and then walk the rest of the way but I think it might be a little too far. 

image.thumb.png.e1442dd54782e5db370a0dbbaf9b3982.png

In PV, we need a ride from the cruise port around to the other side of the marina at the end.

image.thumb.png.fc1942ff9d3aa9b97ac5ed40b2bf5e53.png

From the cruise port to the marina should only cost about 100 pesos ($8.00 Cdn).   Not far.  Make sure to confirm the price with the taxi driver before you get in.   You can negotiate with some of them.   

• Like 1

Friends of ours use the local version of Uber called DiDi when they are in Mazatlan. Cheaper.  They go often and help at orphanages there. We just take the local buses and pay approx $1 USD/$15 MX to get into Centro or all the way thru to the Golden Zone. Air con if you flag a newer looking bus. No transfers though as the different buses are not affilliated but have separate contracts. Price is all the same whichever one you take tho.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mexico8 said:

From the cruise port to the marina should only cost about 100 pesos ($8.00 Cdn).   Not far.  Make sure to confirm the price with the taxi driver before you get in.   You can negotiate with some of them.   

Is that total or per person? I assume this is for the one in PV?

Edited by mitsugirly

Is that total or per person? I assume this is for the one in PV?

Yes in PV.  The white taxis seem to charge per person but the regular yellow taxis are total cost - could be 1 to 4 people.  The bigger cars (SUV) might ask for more.  That's why it is best to verify the cost before entering the car.

4 hours ago, canadjineh said:

Friends of ours use the local version of Uber called DiDi when they are in Mazatlan. Cheaper.  They go often and help at orphanages there. We just take the local buses and pay approx $1 USD/$15 MX to get into Centro or all the way thru to the Golden Zone. Air con if you flag a newer looking bus. No transfers though as the different buses are not affilliated but have separate contracts. Price is all the same whichever one you take tho.

Bus fare in PV is 10 pesos and no transfers.   

16 hours ago, mexico8 said:

Yes in PV.  The white taxis seem to charge per person but the regular yellow taxis are total cost - could be 1 to 4 people.  The bigger cars (SUV) might ask for more.  That's why it is best to verify the cost before entering the car.

Thanks so much for that! I will make a note of it and look for the yellow taxis. Good to know!

16 hours ago, mexico8 said:

Bus fare in PV is 10 pesos and no transfers.   

Do the buses stop right at the port where you get off the ship? How do you get them to stop where you need them to? (I'm not even sure I'd know where to tell them lol). I'm not going far. Do they only stop at a certain bus stop only?

Just now, mitsugirly said:

Thanks so much for that! I will make a note of it and look for the yellow taxis. Good to know!

Do the buses stop right at the port where you get off the ship? How do you get them to stop where you need them to? (I'm not even sure I'd know where to tell them lol). I'm not going far. Do they only stop at a certain bus stop only?

I think the bus stop is not far from the port entrance.  It is a main street and you can see the buses coming.   Look for a bus sign and people waiting for the bus.   There are designated stops along the route.  You ask the driver to announce your stop.  If you are going to the Marina then ask the driver to tell you when they get there.  Might be quote the hike to get to where you want at the Marina.  It is a big area.

Might be better to take a taxi to be sure you get to the right place.   The marina is confusing.  There are a couple of places called the Marina.   There is one where the tour boats leave and another where there are stores and restaurants.  I think it would be better to get a taxi or Uber to go there.   Much simpler if you are going to centro and the Malecon to take a bus

1 hour ago, mitsugirly said:

If you are coming back to the port from town, there are a couple of different bus stops depending on the specific bus route of your bus.  Both stops are relatively close to Walmart/Sams.  Keep in mind that you will need to cross the busy road (to get to the port) and you should do it at the traffic light and be very alert (we often say that the biggest danger in PV is being hit by a bus or car).  

Hank

On 3/18/2024 at 3:39 PM, Hlitner said:

If you are coming back to the port from town, there are a couple of different bus stops depending on the specific bus route of your bus.  Both stops are relatively close to Walmart/Sams.  Keep in mind that you will need to cross the busy road (to get to the port) and you should do it at the traffic light and be very alert (we often say that the biggest danger in PV is being hit by a bus or car).  

True! The bus was an adventure it itself ...but nothing compared to crossing the street afterwards!

• Haha 1

On 3/20/2024 at 7:51 PM, EllieinNJ said:

Can you use US dollars on the bus?

Officially, No!  But this is Mexico.  If you get a nice bus driver, he/she might help.  But the drivers are no longer supposed to provide change, and their electronic fare boxes are designed to only accept Pesos.  A nice driver might try to use other passengers to make change.  But other drivers will not help (or are just too busy).  My advice is that folks have Pesos (either coins that can make 10 pesos per person or a $20 Peso note (which is equal to two fares).  These days, a driver would be crazy to accept a Dollar for two fares.  I did see one driver (in 10 weeks) actually take a US Dollar for a fare (that is really worth 60 cents) and then the driver paid the fare in Pesos (from his own pocket).  That is the exception.  And paying 1 dollar for a 60-cent fare is not a good deal for the cruiser.  

Speaking of the "$" sign, this is used for both Pesos and Dollars...which confuses some folks.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Officially, No!  But this is Mexico.  If you get a nice bus driver, he/she might help.  But the drivers are no longer supposed to provide change, and their electronic fare boxes are designed to only accept Pesos.  A nice driver might try to use other passengers to make change.  But other drivers will not help (or are just too busy).  My advice is that folks have Pesos (either coins that can make 10 pesos per person or a $20 Peso note (which is equal to two fares).  These days, a driver would be crazy to accept a Dollar for two fares.  I did see one driver (in 10 weeks) actually take a US Dollar for a fare (that is really worth 60 cents) and then the driver paid the fare in Pesos (from his own pocket).  That is the exception.  And paying 1 dollar for a 60-cent fare is not a good deal for the cruiser.  

Speaking of the "$" sign, this is used for both Pesos and Dollars...which confuses some folks.  

So will Walmart accept my US$ and give me change in pesos?

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

So will Walmart accept my US$ and give me change in pesos?

I will be honest and say that, although we live in Mexico 10 weeks a year, we do our best to avoid Walmart!  That being said, Walmart is known as having one of the better exchange rates (US Dollars to Pesos).  Since I have not used US currency (in Mexico) in nearly 20 years I have no clue whether you can ask for change in Pesos and/or dollars.  

There is a back story to that Puerto Vallarta Walmart (across the road from the port).  A few years ago, Walmart built a new (and much nicer) store about 2 miles from the port.  When the new store was being constructed, the "word" was that Walmart planned on closing the old store (the one near the port) which is not all that popular.  For whatever reason, they did not follow-through and have kept both stores.  If I had any reason to ever go to Walmart in PV, I would go to newer (and nicer) store.  I have long wondered why cruisers would come to Mexico and spend their time shopping at Walmart, but that is another issue.  I can tell you that when DW and I have cruised to PV (that has happened a few times) we certainly do not waste our time at Walmart.  We love living in Mexico because of the wonderful Mexicans, terrific places to eat, and great weather.  Going to a foreign land to visit Walmart, Mc Donalds, Subway, Burger King, etc. is just not our scene :).

Until a few short years ago, both Walmart and Sams (both across from the port) were quite popular in PV.  But then Costco opened a new store which many of us find much nicer than the Sam's Store.  And close to the large Costco (about 1 1/4 miles from the port) is a relatively new Le Comer Supermarket (the nicest supermarket in the PV area).  There is just little reason for most locals (and expats) to go to that olde/smaller Walmart.

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I will be honest and say that, although we live in Mexico 10 weeks a year, we do our best to avoid Walmart!  That being said, Walmart is known as having one of the better exchange rates (US Dollars to Pesos).  Since I have not used US currency (in Mexico) in nearly 20 years I have no clue whether you can ask for change in Pesos and/or dollars.  

There is a back story to that Puerto Vallarta Walmart (across the road from the port).  A few years ago, Walmart built a new (and much nicer) store about 2 miles from the port.  When the new store was being constructed, the "word" was that Walmart planned on closing the old store (the one near the port) which is not all that popular.  For whatever reason, they did not follow-through and have kept both stores.  If I had any reason to ever go to Walmart in PV, I would go to newer (and nicer) store.  I have long wondered why cruisers would come to Mexico and spend their time shopping at Walmart, but that is another issue.  I can tell you that when DW and I have cruised to PV (that has happened a few times) we certainly do not waste our time at Walmart.  We love living in Mexico because of the wonderful Mexicans, terrific places to eat, and great weather.  Going to a foreign land to visit Walmart, Mc Donalds, Subway, Burger King, etc. is just not our scene :).

Until a few short years ago, both Walmart and Sams (both across from the port) were quite popular in PV.  But then Costco opened a new store which many of us find much nicer than the Sam's Store.  And close to the large Costco (about 1 1/4 miles from the port) is a relatively new Le Comer Supermarket (the nicest supermarket in the PV area).  There is just little reason for most locals (and expats) to go to that olde/smaller Walmart.

I only mentioned Walmart so I can get some pesos to use for the bus to Centro.  Too much trouble getting them in advance from my bank or finding one in Mexico.   For anything bigger I will use my credit card.  Thought maybe I could buy a candy bar or bag of chips, give $5USD and get back change in pesos.

12 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I only mentioned Walmart so I can get some pesos to use for the bus to Centro.  Too much trouble getting them in advance from my bank or finding one in Mexico.   For anything bigger I will use my credit card.  Thought maybe I could buy a candy bar or bag of chips, give $5USD and get back change in pesos.

For what its worth, it is really a pain to go all the way across the road, through the parking lot, etc. to Walmart just to get a few Pesos.  And once you have the change you will need to again cross the road since buses to Centro are on the port-side. Depending where you dock (there are 3 piers) there will be some vendors near the pier, and you might be able to get Pesos from those folks.

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2024 at 7:56 AM, Hlitner said:

We had fun going to the Walmart in PV. Honestly I find the prices of the souvenirs to be fair and cheaper than people selling it outside. After wasting time negotiating with outdoor vendors, the price inside Walmart was the same--no negotiating. We also like to get local chips and snacks so that was fun too. We go to Walmart for the same reason we go at home, one stop shopping for the most part.

There was a swap meet type marketplace set up in the Walmart parking lot when we were there. Not sure if it's there everyday or not. But I bought an ice cream for my kid. The vendor took US dollars and gave me change in pesos, not in my favor but it was fine. A cup of strawberry ice cream with the most chunks of real strawberry I've ever seen. Very tasty for about $2. 

On 3/28/2024 at 5:24 PM, whataboutport said:

We had fun going to the Walmart in PV. Honestly I find the prices of the souvenirs to be fair and cheaper than people selling it outside. After wasting time negotiating with outdoor vendors, the price inside Walmart was the same--no negotiating. We also like to get local chips and snacks so that was fun too. We go to Walmart for the same reason we go at home, one stop shopping for the most part.

There was a swap meet type marketplace set up in the Walmart parking lot when we were there. Not sure if it's there everyday or not. But I bought an ice cream for my kid. The vendor took US dollars and gave me change in pesos, not in my favor but it was fine. A cup of strawberry ice cream with the most chunks of real strawberry I've ever seen. Very tasty for about $2. 

On 3/28/2024 at 5:24 PM, whataboutport said:

Agree with you 100%. We have been to the PV Walmart at the port several times. Never know what you’re gonna find! And you can be pretty sure you are getting what you pay for. 

With that said, we also like shopping the local vendors too. Lots of souvenirs to take home. 

• 3 weeks later...

PV has the honor of the only place in our 7 port cruise where I was hustled for an unfair price. It happened when trying to get one of the taxis in the port and was told 25 USD to take us down to Lazaro Cardenas park (GF wanted to see the tiled works there) for the start of our walk along the malecon. I was initially just going to pay it despite it being a bit expensive but I asked how much in pesos since I wasn't carrying anything other than dollar bills in USD for tips with me. The guy tells me 500 pesos! I told the guy no thanks and then another guy tries to get me to go for 300...but I'm irritated at the lot of them at that point so I just walk out of the port.

Ordered an Uber (I suggest you make a pickup at Casino Life across the street), it was 140 pesos WITH a 20 tip. Will never waste my time with a taxi again if I can help it in Mexico. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steeler808 said:

Will never waste my time with a taxi again if I can help it in Mexico

I also prefer Uber in Mexico for just that reason.  Uber makes the price transparent and you are going to get the same rate as a local without any hassle.