Uber - Orlando - Tampa and back again

So, we are booked to cruise out of Tampa this December. I just booked our flights in and out of Orlando because there were better options and about 1/2 the price. We are coming in the night before and will get a hotel in the Orlando area. Now we are checking out our options for getting to/from Tampa for our cruise.  I have looked at car rentals, shared transports, etc...it seems that Uber is looking like our best option (I love the door to door service).... HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE USING UBER TO/FROM ORLANDO AND TAMPA BEFORE?? THOUGHTS??

The distance between Orlando and Tampa is about 90 miles. I would imagine using Uber would cost you a fortune not to mention having to leave Orlando very early to get to your ship on time. I would be worried about car trouble or heavy traffic, or whatever and not making it to Tampa for the cruise. I don’t know how much renting a car would be, but it seems like it would be the same problem. Also then you have to get from Tampa back to Orlando in time for your flight after the cruise. I’d be a nervous wreck. If it were me, I’d fly in and out of Tampa, your cruise isn’t until December so airline prices may drop.

A very quick search on the Uber estimator site shows the fare between MCO and the Tampa cruise port would start around $100, taking between 90 minutes to 2 hours depending on route.

You may find getting a pickup difficult unless you opt for the higher cost options.  Since the drivers need to deadhead back, a driver may contact you to negotiate a cash tip in addition to the fare.   

Posted (edited)

You may find getting a pickup difficult unless you opt for the higher cost options. 

I have had this very experience trying to go MCO to Melbourne .. 45 miles.   Multiple standard UBER would cancel but moving to an XL got a ride right away and not very much more (nicer ride for the distance anywho)

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 2 weeks later...

Avis car rental/drop is in the Embassy hotel right at the Tampa pier.  Hertz is across the street (Marriott, I think).  Florida doesn't have drop-off charges for rental cars.

Florida doesn't have drop-off charges for rental cars.

this isn't a 'rule' or a law but true, most of the time tire is no one way fee added .... MOST.

On 3/29/2024 at 4:17 PM, LeeW said:

Florida doesn't have drop-off charges for rental cars.

This may be true, but they quite often increase the daily rental fee if not returned to same location.

• Like 1

If you're going to Tampa one day prior, consider AMTRAK which has 1X daily train from either Orlando Station or Kissimmee Station. Price is around $11 per person one way. I wouldn't chance it the same day as the cruise because the train is coming from Washington DC and could be running late. The Tampa Union Station is within walking distance to the cruise terminals and there are hotels in the area reachable by the TECO streetcar line.