Live From Viking Star -- 18 March 2024 to 01 April 2024 -- Transatlantic FLL/BCN

FetaCheese

1 hour ago, millybess said:

The weather sounds perfect!  Do you have anything planned?  DH did the America's Cup Regatta and really enjoyed it.

Yes, taking the included tour.  Planning to visit the Fromagerie in Marigot, to purchase some French cheeses.

• Like 4

Almost docked.  Compare Wonder of the Seas with Marella Voyager, the former Celebrity Mercury , and Mein Schiff 2 ship.

We will dock on other side of Marella. Island will most likely be crowded.  

Whale and Dolphin Man has been doing live commentary, using Quiet Vox, during sail in.  Very knowledgeable guy.  He was also onboard during our Hawaiian Islands Sojourn cruise.

IMG_20240321_102639236.jpg

• Like 2

I'm following your post because we board the Star in Barcelona!  I'm excited!  This will be our 10th Viking cruise (5 river & 4 going on 5 ocean), but we've never done the Med!

I'm interested in hearing how you are finding the ship.  Does Manfredi's have the Viking version of the steak or the new one.

Also do they have jenever onboard?  I'm currently enamored with the Bols cocktail called a Very Old Fashioned.  I have the recipe, but it needs jenever.  I'm wondering if I should try to pick some up in port.

How are the bartenders in the Living Room?  That's our hangout when we aren't on the Aquavit Terrace.

• Like 1

I'll jump in here and say that Manfredi's still has Menu 4, other folks have posted elsewhere and I didn't take a picture. So they have the 2 ribeyes, bone in and out, not thick like the old one was but tasty. No lasagna, short ribs are on, and beef tartare. I know CC Wine Lover posted the #4 somewhere.

Bartenders in living room are very good and it's been very busy before dinner. Gjorge just got on and there are other unfamiliar faces but they are all friendly and efficient. Damian the cruise director is very nice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

I'll jump in here and say that Manfredi's still has Menu 4, other folks have posted elsewhere and I didn't take a picture. So they have the 2 ribeyes, bone in and out, not thick like the old one was but tasty. No lasagna, short ribs are on, and beef tartare. I know CC Wine Lover posted the #4 somewhere.

Bartenders in living room are very good and it's been very busy before dinner. Gjorge just got on and there are other unfamiliar faces but they are all friendly and efficient. Damian the cruise director is very nice.

IMG_5188.thumb.jpeg.f92befd0f5bc11492ff0d2e383ba09fc.jpeg
IMG_5192.thumb.jpeg.60ae57d941f9e3a8a3058791b0db1f41.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Thanks Kent! I thought it was you.

Ambulance just came and took somebody off. It actually might have been 2 people, a stretcher and a wheelchair. Sad.

So sorry to hear..  they didn’t get very far but better now than mid Atlantic.  Our last TA last December one of the Viking managers said they often have 4-5 passengers taken off on the trips in/out of Florida.  Let’s hope it wasn’t serious.

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

@Cyber Kat

Will try to find out about Jenever, although never heard of it.  Have not sat at LR Bar, yet all staff very friendly and accommodating.

Thanks!  It's a Dutch gin liquor.  KLM serves this on their flights and it's quite good.  Bols sells it already made up, but they have the recipe on their site.  It's quite tasty!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Took included shorex, Scenic St. Martin.  Very hot today.  Coach A/C very weak; we roasted.  Cooler outside.  1st stop, 10 min lookout to sea and surrounding island.  Guide was nearly impossible to understand, and was not very knowledgeable about island.  Entire trip just pointed out neighborhoods, schools, shopping areas, hospital.

Considerably below Viking standards, to which we have become accustomed.  Very disappointing.  

Then on to Marigot, 

45 min available. y mission accomplished!  Found the Fromagerie, and purchased 3 varieties.  Clerk was very helpful.  On way back to coach, stopped to buy a French Cote d' Rhone bottle.  @CCWineLover, please correct spelling!

Highlight was the Marigot cheese and wine shops !IMG_20240321_141449322_HDR.thumb.jpg.e68d38bc91b2b751c06ae9c02e337834.jpg

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

Here are the three ships in port today. The Star is absolutely dwarfed by the Wonder OTS. 

We went on the Half Day Land and Sea excursion. The land part was ... meh. It was also cut short because of the delay in disembarking.  The boat trip with snorkeling and a visit to a beach was marvelous. Not the best snorkeling - I'm spoiled by Hawaiian beaches, but great company and fun guides.  

I'm now fighting to stay awake with a Gascon Coffee while the ship rocks me to sleep in the Explorer Lounge. The blanket isn't helping matters ....zZzZzZzZz

20240321_162241.jpg

Edited by LissaKay
  • Like 5

Forgot to say:  Driver/guide drove coach with left hand, microphone in right hand. 

With narrow, winding, hilly roads, did not feel real safe in coach.

All prior V shorex had driver and guide.  Is driver/guide the new scheme ?

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Then on to Marigot, 

45 min available. y mission accomplished!  Found the Fromagerie, and purchased 3 varieties.  Clerk was very helpful.  On way back to coach, stopped to buy a French Cote d' Rhone bottle.  @CCWineLover, please correct spelling!

Spelling of what that I am supposed to correct?

Seriously though, sorry for your experience.  This included tour for us in the past was also easily at the bottom of the heap for Viking.  Likely one of the worst.  Sounds like things have not changed.   Better luck on the trip across the Atlantic!  Glad you got your cheese fix!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Forgot to say:  Driver/guide drove coach with left hand, microphone in right hand. 

Sounds like our driver in the past 🙂

Things really changed in Caribbean after COVID.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Spelling of what that I am supposed to correct?

Seriously though, sorry for your experience.  This included tour for us in the past was also easily at the bottom of the heap for Viking.  Likely one of the worst.  Sounds like things have not changed.   Better luck on the trip across the Atlantic!  Glad you got your cheese fix!!

The wine variety spelling.  

Grilled swordfish, and and end cut prime rib.  Both excellent.

Restaurant Cheese Plate,IMG_20240321_215136567.thumb.jpg.5eb33e497e75a71b0bf4ab6003ca6a04.jpg  very fine quality and presentationIMG_20240321_211950101.thumb.jpg.c1ec96eff150f054408e4e670d4eae1e.jpg

IMG_20240321_212004983.jpg

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 3

I've been a bit under the weather...sore throat, small cough, so decided to stay in my stateroom yesterday after the bridge tour. Skipped dinner. Took Covid test this morning....negative, which I expected, no fever or other symptoms but wanted to be sure. Tried to eat lunch, not hungry. Stayed onboard. Went to dinner and asked them to sit me far from others, which they did. I'm sure it's just a change in weather thing but I wanted to be careful and not make others uncomfortable. Dancing under the Stars Tonight but I'm in stateroom in pj's! My server was excited, she said she could dance with the guests and she wasn't even assigned to work there! Nice to see. Tomorrow will be a good day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

The wine variety spelling.  

I think you have me confused.  I don’t recall mentioning any wine and can’t find any reference in your thread. No worries though.  Thx for the great food pics though!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

No.

Sit down with Shorex and tell them what happened -- hot bus, lousy guide, unsafe driver, etc.. Having your group number will help them identify the driver guide and hopefully they will not be working for Viking again. 

This kind of stuff is why it is so important to fill out the surveys.

Edited by Peregrina651
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

@stretchcruz

Hope you feel better real soon.

Thanks! I do, just not 100% and didn't want to be one of "those people" walking around coughing! I don't take the elevator either, I climb😁

Edited by stretchcruz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Took included shorex, Scenic St. Martin.  Very hot today.  Coach A/C very weak; we roasted.  Cooler outside.  1st stop, 10 min lookout to sea and surrounding island.  Guide was nearly impossible to understand, and was not very knowledgeable about island.  Entire trip just pointed out neighborhoods, schools, shopping areas, hospital.

Considerably below Viking standards, to which we have become accustomed.  Very disappointing.  

Then on to Marigot, 

Highlight was the Marigot cheese and wine shops !IMG_20240321_141449322_HDR.thumb.jpg.e68d38bc91b2b751c06ae9c02e337834.jpg

Also did the bus tour and while the bus was cool; the driver was really hard to understand.  Waste of time.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stretchcruz said:

Had the ribeye from Manfredi's in the restaurant the other night and it was horrible.  Tuff and very thin, probably 1/4 of an inch at most.  Chef told us they are cutting back on the size of the steak.