Live From Viking Star -- 18 March 2024 to 01 April 2024 -- Transatlantic FLL/BCN

FetaCheese

We also did the included tour and had a different experience! Our driver Nicholas was very knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. Very easy to understand. Would have liked longer than 30 minutes in Marigot but had enough time to grab a French pastry 😁

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I think you have me confused.  I don’t recall mentioning any wine and can’t find any reference in your thread. No worries though.  Thx for the great food pics though!

So sorry, I meant to ask you to correct MY spelling of Cotes du Rhone wine.  Glad you're enjoying my posts.

3 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

Had the ribeye from Manfredi's in the restaurant the other night and it was horrible.  Tuff and very thin, probably 1/4 of an inch at most.  Chef told us they are cutting back on the size of the steak.

Agree that Viking Bistecca is smaller than 1st experienced on Venus, December 2021, the piece I had Monday night was not as thin as yours, yet of very high quality and not tough. 

Very surprised that chef admitted cost cutting measure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Luckycruisers said:

We also did the included tour and had a different experience! Our driver Nicholas was very knowledgeable and had a great sense of humor. Very easy to understand. Would have liked longer than 30 minutes in Marigot but had enough time to grab a French pastry 😁

Have come to learn that tour quality is dependent on quality of guide.  Luck of the draw. 

However, I would expect Viking to perform a more thorough vetting of tour operators, coaches and guides.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No.

Sit down with Shorex and tell them what happened -- hot bus, lousy guide, unsafe driver, etc.. Having your group number will help them identify the driver guide and hopefully they will not be working for Viking again. 

This kind of stuff is why it is so important to fill out the surveys.

Thanks for suggestion.  When exiting the coach after tour, a V rep asked me how the tour was, I did tell him my disappointments.  Asked me for cabin#, and wrote it down on clipboard sheet, saying "for documentation".

Am planning to visit shorex mgr. and/or Guest Services.  Did complete digital survey, and was honest with responses.  Unfortunately, there is not a text box to add comments.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Thanks for suggestion.  When exiting the coach after tour, a V rep asked me how the tour was, I did tell him my disappointments.  Asked me for cabin#, and wrote it down on clipboard sheet, saying "for documentation".

Am planning to visit shorex mgr.  Did complete digital survey, and was honest with responses.  Unfortunately, there is not a text box to add comments.

Don’t let him tell you his jokes 😁

44 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Have come to learn that tour quality is dependent on quality of guide.  Luck of the draw. 

However, I would expect Viking to perform a more thorough vetting of tour operators, coaches and guides.

Totally agree!

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Agree that Viking Bistecca is smaller than 1st experienced on Venus, December 2021, the piece I had Monday night was not as thin as yours, yet of very high quality and not tough. 

Very surprised that chef admitted cost cutting measure.

Glad that someone got a decent one.  Order ours medium rare and both times they came out well done.  After that, just gave up and ate the veggies and bread.

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Am planning to visit shorex mgr. and/or Guest Services.  Did complete digital survey, and was honest with responses.  Unfortunately, there is not a text box to add comments.

They really should add a text box for comments.  I always have some 🤣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

No.

Sit down with Shorex and tell them what happened -- hot bus, lousy guide, unsafe driver, etc.. Having your group number will help them identify the driver guide and hopefully they will not be working for Viking again. 

This kind of stuff is why it is so important to fill out the surveys.

Went down to GS, to tell of shorex disappointments.

Before I said which bus, Rep ask me if it was bus X.  Yes he had already heard from other pax.  I still told him the several issues.  Said would send comments to shorex mgr.  Not expecting anything, yet rep apologized.

Also told me this was 1st time without dedicated separate guide.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2024 at 12:33 PM, Cyber Kat said:

I'm following your post because we board the Star in Barcelona!  I'm excited!  This will be our 10th Viking cruise (5 river & 4 going on 5 ocean), but we've never done the Med!

I'm interested in hearing how you are finding the ship.  Does Manfredi's have the Viking version of the steak or the new one.

Also do they have jenever onboard?  I'm currently enamored with the Bols cocktail called a Very Old Fashioned.  I have the recipe, but it needs jenever.  I'm wondering if I should try to pick some up in port.

How are the bartenders in the Living Room?  That's our hangout when we aren't on the Aquavit Terrace.

@Cyber Kat

Enquired at Aquavit Bar,  no Jenever onboard.

5 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Very surprised that chef admitted cost cutting measure

Given the difference in what people have reported, I wonder if there is financial incentive (bonus) for managers to cut costs and each have implemented it slightly differently.

Encountered about 30 pantropical spotted dolphins around 1:15 local time this afternoon. Spouse and I had just stepped onto the walking track for some post lunch laps as they were approaching. People in the Explorers Lounge had quite a view.

Robin will have a slideshow at 6:20 this evening just before his talk and has an amazing picture from another passenger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Given the difference in what people have reported, I wonder if there is financial incentive (bonus) for managers to cut costs and each have implemented it slightly differently.

Interesting comments on reducing costs.

When I spoke with the Food & Beverage Manager a couples times, they did admit that the menus had changed with an emphasis on reducing the portions and sizes (and that saved money).  I was told twice that so many had given feedback about so much waste with the larger portions that they wished Viking would serve smaller amounts.   I do agree that in the past people really did waste a lot of food because of the larger portions.  And logically if you are hungry and there isn't enough on the plate, you can order more.  (That however, doesn't excuse the poor cooking of the steaks - we've had a 50% hit rate - always send it back and talk with the chef about their inconsistency in cooking - some respond well, others not).

Had the opportunity to chat with CD at Explorer's party.  Ask if he would be having "coffee chats" (none so far).  

Said they will no longer be offered, along with no Captain's Q&A.  He wanted to schedule them, but was told not to anymore.  

49 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Had the opportunity to chat with CD at Explorer's party.  Ask if he would be having "coffee chats" (none so far).  

Said they will no longer be offered, along with no Captain's Q&A.  He wanted to schedule them, but was told not to anymore.  

We just had a wonderful Captain's Q&A onboard Saturn 2 weeks ago.  Our CD, Kate, arranged and ran it.  She told me it was up to the CD to push it forward and still the Captain had to approve.  Guess it depends on your CD and Captain and is not a global Viking rule.  She also had onstage the Engineer, the head of Housekeeping, and the Asst General Manager.  It was quite an excellent discussion!   Maybe we just had a great CD and Captain!!

It was done in the Star Theatre on the final afternoon of the cruise.

IMG_6529.thumb.JPG.92b036d4d6dacdf3bdb533e590d661f7.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

That’s sad. I really enjoyed the CD’s coffee chats with Kate. On the Star in November Captain Olav seemed a bit impatient and gave Kate the “wrap it up” signal a few times. Maybe he just doesn’t enjoy them.

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

This is just our opinion, but we have had Damien on 2 of our cruises and we feel he's just not up to the job.  He pushes to be the "star of the show", whatever the show may be, to the exclusion of his staff.  The last CD we had in January was Ryan, who really showcased some of the other entertainers and was genuinely interested in everything that was going on around him.

• Like 1

This is our second cruise with Damian as CD and in my opinion, he’s the best I’ve had. He takes the time to chat to as many people as possible and contrary to what has been said, is forever praising his team along with other ship’s crew. His videos on Viking Today are also very informative and interesting 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, shipboy said:

This is our second cruise with Damian as CD and in my opinion, he’s the best I’ve had. He takes the time to chat to as many people as possible and contrary to what has been said, is forever praising his team along with other ship’s crew. His videos on Viking Today are also very informative and interesting 

That’s great!  We’ve heard numerous complaints about him, so maybe he’s changed his tune. 

15 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

That’s sad. I really enjoyed the CD’s coffee chats with Kate. On the Star in November Captain Olav seemed a bit impatient and gave Kate the “wrap it up” signal a few times. Maybe he just doesn’t enjoy them.

I was at the same Captain and officer Q and A and I have to disagree. Captain Olav was very informative, chatty, and funny. It was fun seeing his baby pictures as a triplet. They had to rush out, as best I remember, because it was getting close to noon and he and Kate had to do the noon announcement. I do remember her running up the aisle in her high heels.

I will miss the coffee chats and the Q and A. I really enjoyed them.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We just had a wonderful Captain's Q&A onboard Saturn 2 weeks ago.  Our CD, Kate, arranged and ran it.  She told me it was up to the CD to push it forward and still the Captain had to approve.  Guess it depends on your CD and Captain and is not a global Viking rule.  She also had onstage the Engineer, the head of Housekeeping, and the Asst General Manager.  It was quite an excellent discussion!   Maybe we just had a great CD and Captain!!

It was done in the Star Theatre on the final afternoon of the cruise.

I love those!