Rip off shore excursions: Flam railway

buchanan101

Will not be going until September 2025 and want to book the Train independently. Is there much time between the train going up and heading back down, so there would be a few minutes to look around and see the view from the top? 

7 hours ago, sally4909 said:

Will not be going until September 2025 and want to book the Train independently. Is there much time between the train going up and heading back down, so there would be a few minutes to look around and see the view from the top? 

It turns straight back after a few minutes both times I have done it I haven’t got off. I don’t know how the return ticket works. I presume you can book a return to take a later train back. People do go of walking and for other experiences  or go for coffee so you must be able to. 

14 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't think NCL is any more Norwegian than HAL is Dutch (Norwegian's largest stakeholder is Hong Kong company). I doubt the name will get them first shot at a dock. Money might do it, though.  Who know how dock assignments are made?

Even with two ships, and definitely with three, in Flam I would book something in advance. I wouldn't risk booking the train on the day. BTW, check out the museum about building the railway.

Train booked... that's what started this thread, my comparison of prices (and seeing one train sold out already)

Flam can only take one ship, right?

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

It turns straight back after a few minutes both times I have done it I haven’t got off. I don’t know how the return ticket works. I presume you can book a return to take a later train back. People do go of walking and for other experiences  or go for coffee so you must be able to. 

I wasn't given the option to delay return, or didn't look very hard.

Interestingly (although obvious i guess), the UP ticket was about 3 times the price of the DOWN. So if you fancy cycling up, you can get back very cheaply

what to do the rest of the day in Flam? walk I guess...?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sogne said:

From a safety point of view I would think 1st ship arriving ie QA would dock. 

Maybe Flam tell them what time to arrive with half hour slots. Would make sense.

Also the biggest ship so makes sense to be the one docking...more passengers ashore for longer spending money in Flam

It's an over-rated excursion, anyway.  Yes, the train goes up a valley and through lots of tunnels, and yes, it's a bit steeper than other railway lines.  But there's nothing particularly special about the valley it goes up; anyone who has travelled around Norway has seen better scenery many times every day.  When it's not in a tunnel, the views are mostly on one side of the train, so you'll either be standing peering out of the other side of the carriage, or seated with all the folks on the other side standing over you trying to take photos out of your window.  Having trundled up the hill to basically a station in the middle of nowhere, you'll travel back along the same route with the same views with the added bonus of ear-shattering screeching as the train has its brakes on all the way down, with a stop for some frankly bizarre 'entertainment' en route.  It's one of those over-priced trips pitched at people arriving on the ships for its novelty value, and at railway enthusiasts wanting to tick it off their bucket list.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IB2 said:

It's an over-rated excursion, anyway.  Yes, the train goes up a valley and through lots of tunnels, and yes, it's a bit steeper than other railway lines.  But there's nothing particularly special about the valley it goes up; anyone who has travelled around Norway has seen better scenery many times every day.  When it's not in a tunnel, the views are mostly on one side of the train, so you'll either be standing peering out of the other side of the carriage, or seated with all the folks on the other side standing over you trying to take photos out of your window.  Having trundled up the hill to basically a station in the middle of nowhere, you'll travel back along the same route with the same views with the added bonus of ear-shattering screeching as the train has its brakes on all the way down, with a stop for some frankly bizarre 'entertainment' en route.  It's one of those over-priced trips pitched at people arriving on the ships for its novelty value, and at railway enthusiasts wanting to tick it off their bucket list.

Well, there are either a lot of train nuts (I'm one) or a lot of suckers because it's very popular.

So you've done this trip, then? And if so, did you take the time to go to the museum about the construction of the railway? That adds to the appreciation of this trip on one of the world's steepest railways to run on regular (not cog) rails.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, IB2 said:

I take it you're not the 'Visit Norway' rep?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, IB2 said:

But something a lot of people harmlessly enjoy.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Norway is an absolutely fantastic place to visit.  Highly recommended.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But something a lot of people harmlessly enjoy.

And they are most welcome, just as I am welcome to my opinion that it’s over-rated.  Since when did all reviews and comments on here have to be positive? That certainly doesn’t apply to anything relating to Cunard!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IB2 said:

And they are most welcome, just as I am welcome to my opinion that it’s over-rated.  Since when did all reviews and comments on here have to be positive? That certainly doesn’t apply to anything relating to Cunard!

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, with which I may be inclined to agree, on balance. It is something I certainly wouldn’t bother to do twice. However, it seems a little unkind to sound so disparaging of those who have enjoyed it or wish to.

• Like 1

As someone who commutes into NYC by train, I’ll take a pass on a train based excursion. But I’m sure it’s nice to try once but I’m more of a ship geek anyway. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, IB2 said:

12 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Well, there are either a lot of train nuts (I'm one) or a lot of suckers because it's very popular.

So you've done this trip, then? And if so, did you take the time to go to the museum about the construction of the railway? That adds to the appreciation of this trip on one of the world's steepest railways to run on regular (not cog) rails.

12 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I can only think @IB2 either missed reading my blog or didn't appreciate the photographs....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2023/08/02/one-way-to-do-flam/

Or maybe he boarded the wrong train....

Flam40SightseeingTrainFares.thumb.jpg.058dec19c4938efb0bdde81f56d3eca1.jpg

Flam39SightseeingTrain.thumb.jpg.e97013f74163bfa469bd5695bf0c8d84.jpg

😂😁

• Haha 3

Always pay in local currency!!

I have a Curve card which is a debit card that fronts credit cards, and has 0% foreign exchange fees.  I can pay in NOK, 0% charge (apart from usual buy/sell spread on exchange) and get Avios with the Barclaycard that sits behind the Curve card, and take 3 to 7 weeks to have to pay it off... (they don't allow Amex unfortunately)

Ted talk done, though I may be preaching to the "converted"

Flam40SightseeingTrainFares.thumb.jpg.058dec19c4938efb0bdde81f56d3eca1.jpg

I went on the noddy train when I was in Flam in the summer. It doesn't go far at all, just a few miles then turns around. You could walk the route if you wanted to and we passed people who were walking it. I did enjoy it and it filled a little bit of time.

I had a young child with me so a 45 min land train trip was much more appealing than the actual train which is about 45-50 mins each way. Plus they let kiddo ring the bell when we got back so instant highlight for me 😂

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NE John said:

As someone who commutes into NYC by train, I’ll take a pass on a train based excursion. But I’m sure it’s nice to try once but I’m more of a ship geek anyway. 

Although I have never commuted into NYC I have travelled in and out by train several times over the past 50 years. The scenery on the Flamsbana line was far more spectacular. 😊

I note that individual bookings can now be made on the Flamsbana. When we took the Norway cruise on the QE several years ago only group bookings could be made in advance except through Cunard. We booked the excursion with Cunard and were glad we did.  When the ship docked there was a mad rush to the ticket office by dozens of people. Many of them were disappointed. There was a second ship in port and a large land-based tour.

25 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

Although I have never commuted into NYC I have travelled in and out by train several times over the past 50 years. The scenery on the Flamsbana line was far more spectacular. 😊

I note that individual bookings can now be made on the Flamsbana. When we took the Norway cruise on the QE several years ago only group bookings could be made in advance except through Cunard. We booked the excursion with Cunard and were glad we did.  When the ship docked there was a mad rush to the ticket office by dozens of people. Many of them were disappointed. There was a second ship in port and a large land-based tour.

Hey! I think the Hudson Valley is very pretty. 

The land-based tour you saw would be an unfortunate surprise. We can check to see what other ships may be in port, but I don't know how to find out if there's a large land tour at the same time. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IB2 said:

We have travelled the 'Noddy' train and the  Flamsbana, on separate Flam visits. Our first ever Cunard cruise was to the fjords and 'everyone' said we had to do the Flamsbana. So we did.

I'm glad we went and it ticked it off any potential bucket list but in hindsight, if we hadn't managed to get on the excursion, we wouldn't have missed much but again, that's with the benefit of hindsight.

It was a stinkingly hot day in a very hot train which was quite uncomfortable, heat wise, but it was a pretty journey with waterfalls and Heidi alpine scenery. Our Cunard excursion had a stop half way for an unexceptional waffle and cream afternoon tea at the hotel there and then with the hoards, climbed back onboard for the return journey.

We found the little museum of more interest.

Yes, book it but lower expectations as it's a must do, but it's not the spectacular we had been led to believe.

Noddy train whiled away an hour or so. Cute and we got a different perspective of the village and it's immediate fjord. 🙂

• Like 1