Apple Pay in Netherlands

We (two couples) will have five nights in the Netherlands prior to boarding our ship. We weren’t planning to get a data package and will rely on free wifi where avail and using WhatsApp. Will we have any issues using Apple Pay or Google pay in stores for purchases without wifi or data plans? Will tap from our phones work like at home? Sorry if this is a stupid question. We’re not the most tech savvy bunch lol

18 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Will we have any issues using Apple Pay or Google pay in stores for purchases without wifi or data plans? Will tap from our phones work like at home? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

You can definitely use Apple Pay without a cell/data connection or even in airplane mode. I don't have experience with Google Pay but I would assume it would be similar. 

• Thanks 1

Apple Pay or Google Pay is just a different way of presenting your debit or credit card to the payment terminal. This means that you can only use it in places that accept the card you linked to your Apple or Google Pay. So if you’ve linked a credit card to your Apple/Google Pay, you can only use it in places that accept credit cards.
In the Netherlands, credit cards aren’t accepted everywhere. The supermarket chain Albert Heijn for instance, is known for only accepting credit cards in a few stores. 
You don’t need WiFi to use Apple or Google Pay, but you do need a card that’s accepted. 

• Thanks 1

So in grocery stores or restaurants in the Netherlands how do most people pay for their purchases? I thought everyone used credit cards now to avoid handling cash, especially after the pandemic. 🤔 

3 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

So in grocery stores or restaurants in the Netherlands how do most people pay for their purchases? I thought everyone used credit cards now to avoid handling cash, especially after the pandemic. 🤔 

Debit cards have replaced cash payments.

3 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

In the Netherlands credit card payments only amount to 1% of the total payment transactions. Cash payments make up 20% and the vast majority of payments (79%) is done by debit card. 

8 minutes ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

In the Netherlands credit card payments only amount to 1% of the total payment transactions. Cash payments make up 20% and the vast majority of payments (79%) is done by debit card. 

Ok, this is good info. Thank you. I’ll make sure my debit card is good to go. I’m assuming credit cards aren’t used widely there due to the fees. May happen here one day too. I personally prefer to pay by cc to accumulate points but that can be tricky for those who don’t pay it off each month. 

Thank you for your help on these boards…good to get advice from a local!

5 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Ok, this is good info. Thank you. I’ll make sure my debit card is good to go. I’m assuming credit cards aren’t used widely there due to the fees. May happen here one day too. I personally prefer to pay by cc to accumulate points but that can be tricky for those who don’t pay it off each month. 

It’s nothing really to do with fees. It’s a cultural thing. The Dutch (and Germans) don’t, as a rule, approve of consumer debt.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dutch_Travelgirl said:

The supermarket chain Albert Heijn for instance, is known for only accepting credit cards in a few stores. 
You don’t need WiFi to use Apple or Google Pay, but you do need a card that’s accepted. 

Competitor Jumbo has an higher credit card acceptance rate but be sure to confirm (window sticker or at the check out) before shopping for groceries. Restaurants that accept credit cards are far far more common.

Most Dutch pay by Maestro or V PAY card and some already by the newer Debit Mastercard or Visa Debit cards which are new but less known although those will be the new standard in the future.

Free WiFi is nearly everywhere. Enjoy the Netherlands OP! :classic_happy:

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I’m assuming credit cards aren’t used widely there due to the fees.

No, it’s not. Fees have nothing to do with it. As the previous poster already mentioned it’s a cultural thing of not wanting to go into debt when you buy your weekly groceries or daily cup of coffee. 

• Like 1

Will it be OK though to pay for 'touristy' things like canal boat trips and museum entry with a credit card? And cafes??
I don't particularly want to have to get lots of euros and I would never use my debit card in those situations. In fact, I only use it to withdraw cash from ATMs.

9 hours ago, Korimako said:

Will it be OK though to pay for 'touristy' things like canal boat trips and museum entry with a credit card? And cafes??
I don't particularly want to have to get lots of euros and I would never use my debit card in those situations. In fact, I only use it to withdraw cash from ATMs.

Many places geared mainly at tourists will accept credit cards. But by no means all.

Credit cards just aren’t a thing in The Netherlands like they are in the US or the UK, and it would be unwise to rely on being able to use them everywhere you go.

I was planning on using my no foreign transaction fee Mastercard.  If I have to use my American bank debit card, am I going to get hit with a transaction fee?  Is there some prepay debit card that is an option?  I'm not really excited about using my debit card as it doesn't offer the same protection as a credit card.  For reference we are going to be in Amsterdam 6 days prior to our Fjord cruise, with maybe a day trip to Delft.  

• Like 1

You will be able to manage it with a credit card, perhaps you might need to do a cash withdraw once for one or two occasions. Just be aware (and prepared) that you might not be able to use your credit card everywhere. Just inform before ordering/getting to the register. Most of the Dutch are really friendly and helpful! :classic_happy:

We always get some cash on hand when traveling, always come in handy, for tips, etc. The fees or currency surcharge is something that we just accept I guess. :classic_smile: Anything that is left over goes back home, good reason to plan another trip! :classic_biggrin: