San Diego Hotel Recommendations

Will be staying in San Diego pre-cruise in January 2025.  Looking for a hotel that's in the $300 range.  It does not need to be in walking distance of the port.  

Thanks.

We’ve stayed at the Westin Gaslamp several times and had great stays. A few weeks ago we stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott downtown. It’s the old San Diego Savings and Loan building which makes for an amazing lobby and mad men vibes. The rooms are a bit small but they’re clean and centrally located to all you want to do. 

Hi

Are you staying 1 night or a few for sightseeing?

The port is in downtown San Diego so tons of hotels from which to choose!!

I'd look around on your dates and come back here mentioning the possibilities for your specific dates

Start with the InterContinental San Diego on booking sites, then the SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Best Western Bayside, Wyndham San Diego Bayside, Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside and maybe La Pensione. Depending on exact dates, they could all be inside your budget.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Start with the InterContinental San Diego on booking sites, then the SpringHill Suites Bayfront, Best Western Bayside, Wyndham San Diego Bayside, Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside and maybe La Pensione. Depending on exact dates, they could all be inside your budget.

Thank you.  Do you know anything about the Marriott Vacation Club Pulse?  I believe its in downtown San Diego.   

1 minute ago, baggal said:

Thank you.  Do you know anything about the Marriott Vacation Club Pulse?  I believe its in downtown San Diego.   

Nice place, bad location up on Cortez Hill. Not much close by and lots of walking up and down a big hill to get anyplace.

Just now, KeepCalmBearOn said:

Nice place, bad location up on Cortez Hill. Not much close by and lots of walking up and down a big hill to get anyplace.

Thanks for the info!  

We love the Hilton Gas Lamp it was our go to place when we visited from northern CA, not so much now that we live across the border in MX.  I would find a place you like and make a RSVP now.  Then continue to price shop and cancel/rebook.  Prices will usually only go up.  Good news is once you get away from NYE prices are usually reasonable in January.  

Posted (edited)

ALOT of people have stayed here successfully!    Best Western Bayside, Wyndham San Diego Bayside, Both super close to airport (will need an Uber ) AND port AND within walking distances places to eat AND Midway Museum and local San Diego Harber cruises.....

Have a great time!!

Edited by VacationCharlene

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

We booked Best Western Yacht Harbour. Anyone stayed there before

No, I live "here", but the Best Western Yacht Harbor (no "u") is nice. I like the Holiday Inn San Diego Bayside next door even better

• Like 1

8 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Any advice for one week in San Diego at thanksgiving?  Would you stay in San Diego or maybe near the beach like La Jolla?  We will have a rent car.  Thanks.

It really depends on what you want to do and what you want to see. You have plenty of options. I might split it up and spend a little time in the San Diego area and then somewhere else. I would get a little stir crazy spending a whole week in San Diego. 

San Diego centric- if you want to spend some time on the beach the Hotel del Coronado and especially their beach village is very nice-- even the rooms in the oldest victorian building are emerging from a top to bottom renovation. La Valencia in La Jolla has always been a favorite (although not the most kid friendly place), the Fairmont Grand del Mar, or the Lodge at Torrey Pines (which is my least favorite of anything I'm listing here but still worth a mention). 

You can drive about an hour up the coast to Laguna/Dana Point-- bunch of really nice resorts there on the beach like Montage, Waldorf Astoria, and Ritz Carlton. You could drive about 2 hours into the desert and stay in Palm Springs-- The Parker Palm Springs and La Quinta Resort & Club are two favorites out there. 

Some off the wall recs- you could even go a little bit further north into Orange County and hit Disneyland (which will most likely be mobbed over Thanksgiving) or over to Riverside to the Mission Inn which is fairly reasonably priced (in the context of this list) and is a gem. 

I'm listing sort of the top drawer options but there are plenty of less expensive options tucked in close to any of these places as well. But whatever you do book early-- resorts like this will book up with families especially over Thanksgiving weekend. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Any advice for one week in San Diego at thanksgiving?  Would you stay in San Diego or maybe near the beach like La Jolla?  We will have a rent car.  Thanks.

As Princeton says, it really depends on what you want to see and do. Tell us more about that and we can give better advice.

Call me biased, but I'd stay in Coronado. It is a nice area with quick access to Little Italy, Balboa Park, Mission Valley and Old Town. But again, it really depends on you and your likes.

The other thing you could do, given it is a week and you have a car, rent a condo in South Mission Beach or Mission Beach. There are many agencies that do vacation rentals,

Bill Luther Realty, Mission Sands and Penny Realty are three good ones.

http://www.missionbeach.com/

http://www.billluther.com/

http://www.missionsands.com/

Thank you so much we have been looking at Coronado and La Jolla.  We like to walk on the beach more than swimming in a pool.  We prefer museums/gardens to resort/spa amenities.  Smaller hotels to larger ones.  We typically tour for 4 to 6 hours then one nice meal for the day and just enjoy the beauty of California.

We made a booking for El Cordova in Coronado.  Is there street parking in the area?  The hotel mentions a private parking for $40/day.  We may decide to rent a car for part of the stay.

Thanks to all you experts!

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Is there street parking in the area?  The hotel mentions a private parking for $40/day.  We may decide to rent a car for part of the stay.

There's some street parking but a lot of it is 2 hour max. Otherwise I would use theirs if you don't want to be constantly moving the car. 

$40 isn't bad-- valet parking at the Hotel Del Coronado across the street is $75 a day and their self parking is $55 a day. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

We made a booking for El Cordova in Coronado.  Is there street parking in the area?  The hotel mentions a private parking for $40/day.  We may decide to rent a car for part of the stay.

There is street parking, depending on how far you are willing to walk. Just read the streets signs as to allowed days and times and time limits. Personally I just consider parking part of my total cost of a stay.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2024 at 11:53 AM, happy cruzer said:

We made a booking for El Cordova in Coronado.  Is there street parking in the area?  The hotel mentions a private parking for $40/day.  

You will love the El Cordova just make sure to book one of the larger rooms as the small ones are really small.  I would use their parking at $40 per day is about normal.  You will find no street parking close unless you have a resident permit.  We stayed there several years ago the history of the place is amazing.  We had a large group of family and even booked the "superintendent's" suite, which was huge (dining table for ten).  My brother ended up in a "workers" room where he could touch both walls with outstretched arms.  I had a nice sized room with a living area and bedroom/kitchen but backed up to the alley with garbage trucks in the morning.  All in all it's a great hotel with lots of history.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

5 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

You will love the El Cordova just make sure to book one of the larger rooms as the small ones are really small.  I would use their parking at $40 per day is about normal.  You will find no street parking close unless you have a resident permit.  We stayed there several years ago the history of the place is amazing.  We had a large group of family and even booked the "superintendent's" suite, which was huge (dining table for ten).  My brother ended up in a "workers" room where he could touch both walls with outstretched arms.  I had a nice sized room with a living area and bedroom/kitchen but backed up to the alley with garbage trucks in the morning.  All in all it's a great hotel with lots of history.    

Thanks for the first hand report.  We do have a one bedroom suite booked.  And now we know what to expect regarding parking in our area the very most expensive parking is about $20 per day.

It is very helpful to have everyone's advice.  Thanks!