Gratuities

3 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

According to Carnival that is exactly what they are

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1123

They are tips, always have been tips, always will be tips.  Been discussed tons of time, regardless of what some want to call it.  Th ere is no reason for anything to change,  Those who remove tips will do it regardless of the name.  There have been literally hundreds of threads (might be an understated guesstimate on the amount).     

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

There have been literally hundreds of threads (might be an understated guesstimate on the amount).  

It's uncommon to see things under-stated on CC.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

According to Carnival that is exactly what they are

https://www.carnival.com/help?topicid=1123

Yes, I'm well aware that Carnival and all the other cruise lines falsely call their fees gratuities/tips.

That doesn't in any way change the fact they aren't tips/gratuities.

Everyone should pay their service fees - because the crew are dependent on them... But they aren't tips.

A specific definition of tip is "without claim or obligation".

Edited by aborgman
  • Thanks 1

As long as they are discretionary and can be adjusted up or down, they are tips. Those that want to tip, tip away, those that don't, don't. To each their own. I couldn't care less how much the next guy tips or doesn't tip.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

As long as they are discretionary and can be adjusted up or down, they are tips. Those that want to tip, tip away, those that don't, don't. To each their own. I couldn't care less how much the next guy tips or doesn't tip.

Fine to say, and I do not disagree on the approach to the issue (and it is an issue).  That said, what everyone does has ramifications.  All over the place, from guest services to potential large changes the cruise line or industry must do because of what people do. Rules and policies are put in place to keep the baseline standard operating smoothly, when these are abused, things degade and it becomes exponential.   Just remember you said you do not care. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Fine to say, and I do not disagree on the approach to the issue (and it is an issue).  That said, what everyone does has ramifications.  All over the place, from guest services to potential large changes the cruise line or industry must do because of what people do. Rules and policies are put in place to keep the baseline standard operating smoothly, when these are abused, things degade and it becomes exponential.   Just remember you said you do not care. 

Agreed. I'm just saying that I can't control what the next guy does or does not do, so there is no reason for me to invest time debating it. When the system degrades, changes will be implemented.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Agreed. I'm just saying that I can't control what the next guy does or does not do, so there is no reason for me to invest time debating it. When the system degrades, changes will be implemented.

We agree

• Like 2

22 hours ago, mar214 said:

Don't forget crew members such as the staff that walks around the pool areas all day picking up your used dishes, cups, etc.in the brutal heat. They even reach under your loungers to pick up your stuff, asking you first if you are finished using it. You never have to worry about removing your own used dishes. Don't they deserve some of those gratuities? There are so many more crew sharing those tips than just the servers in the dining room. It's still your choice, but I cringe when I read about cruisers removing their tips. How about hotels that charge a mandatory "resort fee" even if you don't use the pool, gym,etc.? Just consider these charges part the overall expense. 

Those folks are part of hard working "Your Housekeeping Team" 

• Like 1

People who remove gratuities cost everyone.
They will keep raising the price but it’s going to be sooner to make up for the cheapskates. 

Considering what a travel bargain cruising is, it’s so wrong, dumb, cheap, selfish to remove them.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 8:32 PM, audcc77 said:

I think Royal adds them daily.   Carnival adds them all at once as a line item a few days prior to the end of the cruise.  

I always feel Carnival does this on purpose so people will not go down and complain about the gratuities and have them removed early on in the cruise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I always feel Carnival does this on purpose so people will not go down and complain about the gratuities and have them removed early on in the cruise. 

Instead they wait until last day to remove when they check their unremovable charges 

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Enlighten us

Opinion - a view or judgement formed about something not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

So, your search for 'enlightenment' is likely fruitless other than extending the debate/argument over differing opinions.

2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Opinion - a view or judgement formed about something not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

So, your search for 'enlightenment' is likely fruitless other than extending the debate/argument over differing opinions.

Thanks for the Webster alliteration.  While I think I grasped that, I noticed where the poster was from and was curious as to their view (if it helps, I can say opinion).  Which is an entirely different discussion them some just being cheap.  Maybe, just maybe sometimes we can learn from other points of view.  Lastly, I brought up earlier how many posts and threads there are on this topic, but the discussion makes it way more interesting. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks for the Webster alliteration.  While I think I grasped that, I noticed where the poster was from and was curious as to their view (if it helps, I can say opinion).  Which is an entirely different discussion them some just being cheap.  Maybe, just maybe sometimes we can learn from other points of view.  Lastly, I brought up earlier how many posts and threads there are on this topic, but the discussion makes it way more interesting. 

You must suspect that there is nothing new to be learned from the poster on this subject.  If you want to perpetuate the discussion then so be it.

BTW, no alliteration in my previous comment.

Edited by d9704011
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

You must suspect that there is nothing new to be learned from the poster on this subject.  If you want to perpetuate the discussion then so be it.

BTW, no alliteration in my previous comment.

And now you know what I suspect.  Thanks for the permission.