Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore after vessel crashes into support column

The Norfolk cruises aren't available to book. At least not yet. Carnival still has the two Pride sailings out of Baltimore in April still available and the repo cruise from Tampa still ending in Baltimore. Carnival seems hopefully the harbor will be clear in time for the Pride to arrive.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Just read a report with someone from the Army Corp of Engineers stating pretty much the same thing.  Also said two barge cranes were "on the way" and that before the Dali could be moved the sections of bridge must be cut up and removed by crane, and this must be done before the ship could be moved out and may well also require sections in the water near Dali also.

Yep.  If you want to follow along and see the ships (and barge cranes and other vessels, one is shown below but I don't know its capabilities, there are others like the Chesapeake 1000 in the news) entering the area use this link (you'll have to reset and zoom into the location).

https://www.marinevesseltraffic.com/CHESAPEAKE-BAY/ship-traffic-tracker

image.jpeg.959c968c737f6e4085e101287ecb4cd2.jpeg

image.jpeg.1dc23d6f9b8ac084df48300d50df4f36.jpeg

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, toad455 said:

The Norfolk cruises aren't available to book. At least not yet. Carnival still has the two Pride sailings out of Baltimore in April still available and the repo cruise from Tampa still ending in Baltimore. Carnival seems hopefully the harbor will be clear in time for the Pride to arrive.

So if you book those Baltimore sailings you know you’re really booking Norfolk.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:39 AM, jimbo5544 said:

You are correct, and while I am not certain I believe that one has a lower span, but not sure.

They sail under the Bay Bridge which I think they said is only a foot taller then this bridge.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

As an aside, if 'we can't' mobilize a massive effort to reopen a safe navigation to a strategic port, we should be embarrassed and such sends a very bad signal to . . . 

This was one of my thoughts the other day, plenty of other countries (friendly and not so much) will all be watching closely and evaluating the actions and timeline of the response. It sucks but the reality of it is politics and national security will very much be a factor in whatever plan and decisions are made.

• Like 2

Fyi, for those wondering how Norfolk plans to handle parking for multiple cruise ships. I looked at their website and it appears Carnival cruisers will use the usual Cedar Grove lot. RC cruises will use the MacArthur Center South Garage with more details to come. https://www.norfolk.gov/6030/Cruises

It also sounds like both cruise lines are running buses between Baltimore and Norfolk, so some will park in Baltimore. Best case drive between the 2 is 3 hours. Worst case is 5 hours like today.

Screenshot_20240329_143656_Maps.jpg

To those who are going to be parking a car in Norfolk, I recommend you look into Asphalt Lots in Chesapeake VA. This is a veteran owned business that rents out a parking garage at a community college. They provide shuttles to and from the port on turnaround days. Much cheaper than the parking that Carnival recommends and probably more secure as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nc762shooter said:

This was one of my thoughts the other day, plenty of other countries (friendly and not so much) will all be watching closely and evaluating the actions and timeline of the response. It sucks but the reality of it is politics and national security will very much be a factor in whatever plan and decisions are made.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

???

I think the member was trying to express what the potential appearance of our actions (reopening navigation and restoring the port commercial activities is paramount, economically, then the task of rebuilding for transportation) and time of the response might mean to those who have ill intentions regarding our infrastructure.  IMO.  I don't believe the intent was to imply that national security is at risk in regard to the above actions.

There's nothing about this which would imply National Security is at risk. The major ports of national significance are all on Open Water or have tunnels carrying traffic under the shipping channels. You would be hard-pressed to isolate Norfolk San Diego Long Beach and Bremerton. Charleston is a little bit questionable but the bridge that is involved there is safely footed on land.

On 3/26/2024 at 7:55 AM, sparks1093 said:

Ah, thank you.

Actually the Eastern Shore of Maryland to the mainland, Annapolis & the west.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge Rt. 50.

16 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

There's nothing about this which would imply National Security is at risk. The major ports of national significance are all on Open Water or have tunnels carrying traffic under the shipping channels. You would be hard-pressed to isolate Norfolk San Diego Long Beach and Bremerton. Charleston is a little bit questionable but the bridge that is involved there is safely footed on land.

Again, there is nothing that I believe the member posted that suggested such from the ship-bridge collision and collapse, rather, onlookers regarding our capabilities.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:13 PM, Crowbait said:

We are slated to sail on the Legend out of Baltimore to Barcelona on April 15th.  I am already looking at flight and hotel options in Norfolk. In the event that flights are exorbitant, did someone say that there is a train that goes from BWI to Norfork? Anyone have any details about that?

We booked American out of DCA. They have two non-stops per day. We are flying down on Saturday and will enjoy the Norfolk Water Side area and relax.

Southwest also has no-stops out of BWI. But I don’t fly SW

• Like 1

Key Bridge clearance height was 185’. Hopefully, when they rebuild her, they’ll make her tall enough for larger ships to clear at high tide (Oasis Class is 240’ above the waterline).

6 minutes ago, Calgon1 said:

Key Bridge clearance height was 185’. Hopefully, when they rebuild her, they’ll make her tall enough for larger ships to clear at high tide (Oasis Class is 240’ above the waterline).

As noted to your post in the RCI forum, the Chesapeake Bay bridge is also 185', so unless they want to replace that bridge as well, raising the Key bridge will do nothing.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Calgon1 said:

The Bay Bridge is only 186 feet tall one foot taller then the key bridge.  Only way Baltimore could get larger ships if the build a cruise port beyond the Bay Bridge to my knowledge

27 minutes ago, E-burgGrammy said:

The Bay Bridge is only 186 feet tall one foot taller then the key bridge.  Only way Baltimore could get larger ships if the build a cruise port beyond the Bay Bridge to my knowledge

Initially, no benefit from a higher bridge. But build it and then if the Bay Bridges are replaced, it's ready.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E-burgGrammy said:

might be cheaper.....and quicker

• Like 1

Four days later and they're cutting and lifting the northern section.  That's quicker than I expected. The idea is to clear a smaller channel (not the main channel) to allow smaller vessels to get into position to work on removing the metal on the ship and in the main channel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PC 462 said:

Four days later and they're cutting and lifting the northern section.  That's quicker than I expected. The idea is to clear a smaller channel (not the main channel) to allow smaller vessels to get into position to work on removing the metal on the ship and in the main channel.

Pretty impressive.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 7:13 PM, Crowbait said:

We are slated to sail on the Legend out of Baltimore to Barcelona on April 15th.  I am already looking at flight and hotel options in Norfolk. In the event that flights are exorbitant, did someone say that there is a train that goes from BWI to Norfork? Anyone have any details about that?

Yes, I put that in. But the notice that I got from Carnival today says that they will have bus transport to Norfolk on the 15th. You must sign up but they haven’t issued the specifics yet.

we’re also getting $100 OBC per cabin.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, toad455 said:

John Heald posted that they're remaining hopefully that the Pride's repo cruise will end in Baltimore. Good for Carnival for being optimistic.

The email we received stated "it is possible that the Baltimore Harbor channel will be cleared for limited operations to allow for our arrival in Baltimore on April 21." Then followed with "If we are not able to debark in Baltimore, we will end the voyage in Norfolk and then provide complimentary bus service to the three major airports" near Baltimore.

I changed my BWI flight from 1:30 to 6:00pm to allow for the bus ride...or I get to hang out at BWI for several extra hours. Either way, we know have a plan.

• Like 5