Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore after vessel crashes into support column

I know Carnival will work things out, but I'm curious on how they are going to scramble employees in Norfolk. It's not like if they had moved to a port that's currently used for cruises. Norfolk closed in October and wasn't supposed to reopen until Feb 2025, so there aren't employees easily available. Sure they can bus the Baltimore employees down for check in, but what about things like the cruise parking lot and the porters, plus other places I cannot even imagine that would not have the employee infrastructure in place.

6 minutes ago, Cruisin_Mo said:

I know Carnival will work things out, but I'm curious on how they are going to scramble employees in Norfolk. It's not like if they had moved to a port that's currently used for cruises. Norfolk closed in October and wasn't supposed to reopen until Feb 2025, so there aren't employees easily available. Sure they can bus the Baltimore employees down for check in, but what about things like the cruise parking lot and the porters, plus other places I cannot even imagine that would not have the employee infrastructure in place.

The folks who worked in Norfolk were Baltimore employees that just drove down on turnaround days, so they'll just do that again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cruisin_Mo said:

AFAIK, parking lot and porters (baggage handlers) are port employees, not cruise line employees. Even the check-in employees may be port employees who are just wearing the appropriate uniform for whatever line they're working. For those that are port employees, they may be full-time employees who will get a few hours handling bags rather than handling cargo.

A few years ago, I was on a cruise that had to reverse the order of two ports due to weather. It was no big deal - the dock workers got new assignments for the day and the tour operators changed their schedule to accommodate. 

• Like 1

from what i noticed over the years, the terminal workers like the check in staff, porters and everyone else work they work for a terminal management company like Ports America, Intercruises , SMS Shore Operations and so on

with the switch to norfolk, carnival should already notified whatever company they use so the crew will be ready for sunday at the new location 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lstone19 said:

AFAIK, parking lot and porters (baggage handlers) are port employees, not cruise line employees. Even the check-in employees may be port employees who are just wearing the appropriate uniform for whatever line they're working. For those that are port employees, they may be full-time employees who will get a few hours handling bags rather than handling cargo.

A few years ago, I was on a cruise that had to reverse the order of two ports due to weather. It was no big deal - the dock workers got new assignments for the day and the tour operators changed their schedule to accommodate. 

I guess that's what my thoughts are. Norfolk has a cruise parking lot that is run by the city. If it was expected to be closed, then they wouldn't have the employees to monitor that lot ready by Sunday, unless they were reassigned to other jobs while the port was cruise-less. Like I know they had to hire extra security last year because cars were broken into. But they wouldn't have the security staff for a lot that wasn't to be used for over a year. It just seems like a lot to get ready in a short amount of time, but I'm sure things will work out.

On 3/26/2024 at 12:33 PM, PelicanBill said:

Reports are questioning the timing of the mayday now and whether the bridge was really closed  before the ship hit - maybe one side closed - because 7 vehicles drive up and off and the pothole crew on the bridge got no warning.

I agree the anchor drag could be found to have made this worse. 

Imagine of one of the cruise ships had been in port - trapped for weeks. This is a lot of steel and debris to remove.

Due to the span size, and the old design, this will take years to replace. They will need new piers and a suspension design. I bet similar to the Cuomo bridge as the main span of each is 1200'. I bet the design of that bridge could be adapted quickly... but consider how long it took to put that bridge up even without the side parts of the bridge.

Tappan Zee was more fun to say. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaygatsby27 said:

Tappan Zee was more fun to say. 

Was? Some of us still say Tappan Zee. Thruway and NY state employees may have to use the other name but they can't make me say it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lstone19 said:

This is correct.

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

Are the adjusted cruises out of Norfolk available to book? And how far out does Carnival have these sailings?

March 31st out of Norfolk DOES populate on the booking search, but can't process if you try to book.  That is all that is showing though.

• Like 1

I feel that those of us on the repositioning cruise are really in flux. We are driving to Baltimore on April 5, flying to Tampa on April 6, then supposedly returning to Baltimore on April 21, where we would get our car and drive home. If I have to change any of those arrangements I hope Carnival lets us know soon. Unfortunately, I changed our hotel booking to non refundable only a few days ago in Baltimore…of course I did! Add to this stress is the sadness over the loss of life from the bridge and I find myself just spinning in circles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

March 31st out of Norfolk DOES populate on the booking search, but can't process if you try to book.  That is all that is showing though.

All bookings for both the Legend and Pride out of Baltimore in April are showing on Carnival's website.

5 hours ago, lstone19 said:

Was? Some of us still say Tappan Zee. Thruway and NY state employees may have to use the other name but they can't make me say it.

It will always be "The Tap."

• Like 1

I live near the cruise port management reported that they have seventy buses for Legend paxs, and they have all personal in place to turn ship around Sunday. And about two months before construction begins on terminal upgrades. No word on Pride for Norfolk

• Like 4

14 hours ago, 300dtc said:

I feel that those of us on the repositioning cruise are really in flux. We are driving to Baltimore on April 5, flying to Tampa on April 6, then supposedly returning to Baltimore on April 21, where we would get our car and drive home. If I have to change any of those arrangements I hope Carnival lets us know soon. Unfortunately, I changed our hotel booking to non refundable only a few days ago in Baltimore…of course I did! Add to this stress is the sadness over the loss of life from the bridge and I find myself just spinning in circles.

We're in the same position! We're driving from VA's Shenandoah Valley (which is about an equidistance from Baltimore and Norfolk.)  We have the drive to Baltimore on the 5th, with a Park and Fly hotel deal, a flight on the 6th to Tampa, and concerns about getting back to our vehicle if we go to Norfolk.  I keep telling myself, "one day at a time"...

The most important concern is for the loss of life and the economic impact on Baltimore and the surrounding areas, as well as the supply chain issues. But that doesn't stop my anxiety over plans and arrangements. 😟

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

We're in the same position! We're driving from VA's Shenandoah Valley (which is about an equidistance from Baltimore and Norfolk.)  We have the drive to Baltimore on the 5th, with a Park and Fly hotel deal, a flight on the 6th to Tampa, and concerns about getting back to our vehicle if we go to Norfolk.  I keep telling myself, "one day at a time"...

The most important concern is for the loss of life and the economic impact on Baltimore and the surrounding areas, as well as the supply chain issues. But that doesn't stop my anxiety over plans and arrangements. 😟

Last night, we reserved a car from Norfolk airport to be dropped off at BWI if necessary. Did make sure that we can cancel the reservation if needed. Figure that covers getting back at least to Baltimore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pcvtmom said:

Why are you all flying to Tampa?

9 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

It's a repositioning cruise from Tampa to Baltimore (as of now).

Oh got it. I was seeing talk about a transatlantic and didn’t realize there was another repositioning. But I see. Legend to Europe, Pride taking over in Baltimore?

2 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Oh got it. I was seeing talk about a transatlantic and didn’t realize there was another repositioning. But I see. Legend to Europe, Pride taking over in Baltimore?

That is correct.

Whether it takes over in Baltimore or Norfolk........

16 hours ago, 300dtc said:

then supposedly returning to Baltimore on April 21, where we would get our car and drive home

$107 for a flexible train ticket on Amtrak,  Norfolk to Baltimore on 4/21. Cancel for a full refund if necessary. I would book this as a plan B before it sells out.

I also would make sure I park my car where I would have access to it when I return the night of 4/21. Or if I decide to stay in Baltimore till 4/22 before driving I can get it then.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PC 462 said:

That is correct.

Whether it takes over in Baltimore or Norfolk........

That's what I'm wondering... we embark on Pride Sept 1 and so far it's still out of Baltimore.🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

That's what I'm wondering... we embark on Pride Sept 1 and so far it's still out of Baltimore.🤷‍♀️

While the bridge reconstruction will take years, I cannot see any reason that the port will be closed more than a few sailings.  

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I'm booked on the September 22 Pride cruise to Bermuda.  All we can do is wait and see.

• Like 1