What would you do?

Drumbeat16

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

Oh yes. My apologies. A lot better deal. I thought you could do anytime as an option in Britannia now. But if not then yes that’s a big benefit. 

Anytime - Open Dining - is available in the main Britannia restaurant, but unlike Club you would be on a different table every night.

• Like 2

We did Southampton - Singapore in a Deck 8 balcony and loved it. Perfect position and would recommend. We also had freedom dining but managed to get the same table each night when we wanted it and it worked really well. Not sure I would upgrade as the cabins are more or less exactly the same. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. I made the decision and contacted our TA this morning to upgrade to Club Balcony.

I am aware the cabins are the same as the standard balcony but I think we will enjoy the smaller restaurant more on a longer cruise. The difference in price per night per cabin is AUD$ 33/ US$ 20.4 - too good to miss.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Catchum said:

No one can guarantee you a sooth sailing.  A ship on calm water will be stable  ship on rough seas will be ... not so stable.  A lower deck midship cabin will be better than a high one forward but we have had a midship cabin on a low deck on a large ship with the waves making the porthole into a washing machine and struggling to stay in bed (not a hardship to cling on to DH)

Did you enjoy your Hurtigruten cruise despite the seasickness?

We did enjoy our Hurtigruten voyage, it was only 3 nights as a last minute booking and thankfully I only had motion sickness on a short section when the ship was on open sea (and I hadn't thought to take medication with me). Sailing through the fjords and crossing into the Arctic Circle was wonderful.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

There WILL be more movement - if the seas are rough enough - in BC cabins at the front of Deck 13 - the new add on cabins. They WILL have the most movement of any cabin on the ship, or indeed any place on the ship, because of where they are. ..

Unfortunately I must disagree with this complete statement.

One voyage we were assigned to the Britannia Club Cabin on Deck 13 Forward and on a July sailing we did not feel any movement transiting from NYC, Halifax and Boston.

We were pleasantly surprise of the experience and we have sailed in many parts of the ship over close to 20 years. Not all sailings will cause the sense of movement in that area.

So sometimes it depends on the location you will be sailing that you will feel it more than other locations.

Actually we felt more around Deck 12 near the Pavilion Pool on one particular voyage.

We may have just been lucky!

2 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

Thank you all for your replies. I made the decision and contacted our TA this morning to upgrade to Club Balcony.

I am aware the cabins are the same as the standard balcony but I think we will enjoy the smaller restaurant more on a longer cruise. The difference in price per night per cabin is AUD$ 33/ US$ 20.4 - too good to miss.

So happy with your decision. May I suggest Deck 12 since Deck 13 does block the forward view with the Bridge blocking the view.

We like Deck 12 away from the B Elevators and Pavillon Pool since some of those cabins have a overhang from the Sun Deck. Just a thought if you look at the Port Side photo of the ship and Deck area.

We too enjoy the Britannia Club Restaurant and it's intimacy. And the Ala Carte Menu gives you alternate selection. Don't give a second thought that it is at the other end of the ship and 10 deck below. Good reason to walk off the meals....lol 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

So happy with your decision. May I suggest Deck 12 since Deck 13 does block the forward view with the Bridge blocking the view.

We like Deck 12 away from the B Elevators and Pavillon Pool since some of those cabins have a overhang from the Sun Deck. Just a thought if you look at the Port Side photo of the ship and Deck area.

We too enjoy the Britannia Club Restaurant and it's intimacy. And the Ala Carte Menu gives you alternate selection. Don't give a second thought that it is at the other end of the ship and 10 deck below. Good reason to walk off the meals....lol 

It is a guaranteed cabin so we won't be given the choice, it's not until March 2026 so a long time to wait to find out 😀 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately I must disagree with this complete statement.

One voyage we were assigned to the Britannia Club Cabin on Deck 13 Forward and on a July sailing we did not feel any movement transiting from NYC, Halifax and Boston.

We were pleasantly surprise of the experience and we have sailed in many parts of the ship over close to 20 years. Not all sailings will cause the sense of movement in that area.

So sometimes it depends on the location you will be sailing that you will feel it more than other locations.

Actually we felt more around Deck 12 near the Pavilion Pool on one particular voyage.

We may have just been lucky!

Then the seas weren’t that rough. We had movement in Queens Room, a much better location that deck 13 forward. 

I’m just stating fact. The part of the ship that’ll move most is foward/high. In pitching the ship will tend to pivot about a point 2/3rds of the way back (ask Stephen Payne who designed it). And high is worse than low. So, forward/high is going to be the worst place on any ship (unless there’s a following sea but not sure waves can move faster than QM2!) 

sorry, but you can’t “disagree” with physics

of course the QM2 moves less than any other passenger ship, but it’ll move if the seas are rough enough 

Edited by buchanan101
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

For US$20 that is worth it for the dining alone. I think the Deck 13 BCs are a bit more up to date as well as this was built later to get more passengers on board

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

It is a guaranteed cabin so we won't be given the choice, it's not until March 2026 so a long time to wait to find out 😀 

I'm already planning late 2026 for another crossing - working on the OH with the carrot that we could do the literary festival one.

what route does yours follow? Do they use the Suez canal or are cruises now avoiding that area?

33 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

I'm already planning late 2026 for another crossing - working on the OH with the carrot that we could do the literary festival one.

what route does yours follow? Do they use the Suez canal or are cruises now avoiding that area?

It is currently planned to go via the Suez but who knows whether that will happen 😕

3 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Then the seas weren’t that rough. We had movement in Queens Room, a much better location that deck 13 forward. 

I’m just stating fact. The part of the ship that’ll move most is foward/high. In pitching the ship will tend to pivot about a point 2/3rds of the way back (ask Stephen Payne who designed it). And high is worse than low. So, forward/high is going to be the worst place on any ship (unless there’s a following sea but not sure waves can move faster than QM2!) 

sorry, but you can’t “disagree” with physics

of course the QM2 moves less than any other passenger ship, but it’ll move if the seas are rough enough 

And basic trigonometry shows that the higher you are the greater the extent of the movement when the ship rolls.

But, I would always go for higher up, because the horizon is so much further away and more distinct (assuming it isn’t foggy), and fixing your eyes on the unmoving horizon is supposed to be calming.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And basic trigonometry shows that the higher you are the greater the extent of the movement when the ship rolls.

But, I would always go for higher up, because the horizon is so much further away and more distinct (assuming it isn’t foggy), and fixing your eyes on the unmoving horizon is supposed to be calming.

Yes, ship pitching - worst forward, though height doesn't have that much effect (trig again). Rolling - definitely worst highest. Depends though whether you are talking about trying to overcome the effect of movement (as you say), or experiencing motion inside. On deck is definitely the best place to be though (until they close the Promenade Deck)

Yawing...when the sea is from an angle.. is possibly the worst (?) as you get all 3 effects at once (again yawing effect worst at the bow).

Wish I'd paid attention/found out what storm level we were in in Oct 22 so I'd have a reference point for what causes chairs to slide in the Queens Room. Just dug out a clip on deck that shows that the QM2 DOES actually pitch, contrary to some claims on here... not a lot, but it does (the line is the horizon)

image.png.964542e943a2fdd6a806a98092453c0c.png

Edited by buchanan101

6 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

so I'd have a reference point for what causes chairs to slide in the Queens Room.

Were the chairs on the dance floor?

I'd have thought the friction on the carpets would have kept them steady, or if really bad they would tip over.

Just now, D&N said:

Were the chairs on the dance floor?

I'd have thought the friction on the carpets would have kept them steady, or if really bad they would tip over.

Yes - it was an art talk on Lowry I think...

Highly recommended - the Clarendon guy - (Alex?) - was interesting and entertaining

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Drumbeat16 said:

The only one we experienced with guaranteed cabin was the one on Deck 13 months after the 2016 refit. So nice to have seen the new cabin, shower door instead of curtain and the balcony door was sliding not the typical swing open type.

Again a stretch of the legs to the dining room in the aft portion of the ship.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 7:09 PM, Drumbeat16 said:

Well done Drumbeat16, I think you will be very please with you Club experience. We have sailed both Britannia and Britannia Club on the QM2 and find that, in addition to the anytime dedicated table dining, there are many subtle differences that really enhance the Club experience. 

Don't forget the candied ginger!!!!!!!

All the best,

Jack

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

The only one we experienced with guaranteed cabin was the one on Deck 13 months after the 2016 refit. So nice to have seen the new cabin, shower door instead of curtain and the balcony door was sliding not the typical swing open type.

Again a stretch of the legs to the dining room in the aft portion of the ship.

With the amount of food (4 meals a day) I need all the walking I can get on board Cunard...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Well done Drumbeat16, I think you will be very please with you Club experience. We have sailed both Britannia and Britannia Club on the QM2 and find that, in addition to the anytime dedicated table dining, there are many subtle differences that really enhance the Club experience. 

Don't forget the candied ginger!!!!!!!

All the best,

Jack

Looking at some of the price differentials on the latest email from Cunard I can't see how for those differentials BC can be worth it. However for US$20 a night....

The BC prices seem to be the ones that move the most - I guess because it's a fairly small class so more susceptible than others to supply/demand swings

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

With the amount of food (4 meals a day) I need all the walking I can get on board Cunard...

With the Britannia Club Restaurant, having cabins on Deck 13 and Forward 12, you will get the walk in definitely. You build the appetite to eat and walk the meals off. Full crossing the ship to the aft and about 10 decks down. Of course going and coming we do use the elevator.

• Like 1

We wouldn't eat or want more than three meals a day, and the gym was very effective in counteracting the effects of them.

But we only use lifts when we have baggage, unless with folk that can't or won't walk.

From memory it's 99 stairs from deck 12 to deck 7, and about the same again to deck 2. Climbing 10 decks five or more times per day if you are fit to do so is also helpful. I've read that the jarring effect of descending the stairs is very good for some of the leg muscles.

On 3/29/2024 at 5:55 PM, D&N said:

We wouldn't eat or want more than three meals a day, and the gym was very effective in counteracting the effects of them.

But we only use lifts when we have baggage, unless with folk that can't or won't walk.

From memory it's 99 stairs from deck 12 to deck 7, and about the same again to deck 2. Climbing 10 decks five or more times per day if you are fit to do so is also helpful. I've read that the jarring effect of descending the stairs is very good for some of the leg muscles.

Has to be 4 meals... got to squeeze in a small cream tea...

Descending stairs may be good for the muscles, but it's not good for ageing knees damaged by years of rugby and skiing

11 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

...Descending stairs may be good for the muscles, but it's not good for ageing knees damaged by years of rugby and skiing

Ditto but competitive squash and three dislocations caused my downfall [not literally thank goodness].

I always say I can't climb Everest, because although I could get up, I'd be stuck there as descending would be a nightmare!

and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!😄

UP elevators

DOWN stairs

Unless BC, Down Elevators 12 - 2 Decks.......

Lateral walking before and after meals.....Prefer Prom Deck for Digestive FRESH AIR....

During bad weather and rain....... Several walks on Deck 4, front/back several times like Promenade....Stewards get a kick and say "Hello" on returns each time.....

• Like 1