Cittavechia to airport

Has anyone used NCL transfers from Civitavecchia cruise port to FCO? Our cruise in September docks at 6:30 am. When is the first transfer likely to be? Also, I can't find the cost of transfers without flight information which I don't have yet.TIA

26 minutes ago, purplecow15 said:

I can't find the cost of transfers without flight information which I don't have yet.TIA

i assume you're booked, correct?

go into your "vacation summary" online in your account. scroll down till you see the "transfers" tab. open it up and enter any flight number for a flight that occurs about the same time you'll be traveling. it doesn't have to be the flight you ultimately wind up on. you're not committing, you're just window shopping at this point.

bear in mind that NCL usually won't guarantee transfers for flights leaving earlier than noon. the cost of a transfer varies by city, from $25 - $75, if i recall correctly.  i haven't gone through civitavecchia, but based on distance, i'd guess it's closer to $75.

Posted (edited)

It's $75 per person. 

If you have three or more people, you're better off booking a private transport through a company like Rome Cabs (which we've used before). Three or four people is 220 euros...which is less than what NCL would charge for three or four people. Plus, you don't have to wait for a big bus to fill up.

Edited by schmoopie17

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

Has anyone used NCL transfers from Civitavecchia cruise port to FCO? Our cruise in September docks at 6:30 am. When is the first transfer likely to be? Also, I can't find the cost of transfers without flight information which I don't have yet.TIA

NCL charges $75 for the transfer from Civitavecchia to FCO (Rome airport) Your flight must be at least 6 hours after the ship docks. At least after 12 Noon.

Edited by sailingships

We never take the NCL transfer.  It's almost always cheaper to arrange our own private or small-group shared transfer.  With NCL transfer you have to wait till the big bus fill up, and if the airport has multiple terminals, it can be going around to drop off in all those terminals.

But I know, some people feel safer to go with NCL transfers.

7 minutes ago, Middleager said:

We never take the NCL transfer.  It's almost always cheaper to arrange our own private or small-group shared transfer.  With NCL transfer you have to wait till the big bus fill up, and if the airport has multiple terminals, it can be going around to drop off in all those terminals.

But I know, some people feel safer to go with NCL transfers.

As a solo traveler I will often take NCL transfers as they are less expensive than other means. Miami is the only exception because Uber cost is about the same as the transfer. 

Thank you all so much for your information. We haven't booked our flights yet. Right now they're a lot more expensive than the actual cruise. It will most likely be the 12:55 flight so we should be alright with either NCL or private transfers.

if you're going direct from the ship to the airport, you're doing yourself a major disservice. rome is an absolutely beautiful and amazing city. i would book a hotel and stay for at least 2 days, you wont be sorry

• Like 1

20 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

It drives me to drink that they can't list transfers without flight info! I did what a subsequent poster suggested and entered any flight number, but that's a very irritating change from how NCL used to display transfers

I've used the NCL xfers for port-FCO twice now, and they're pretty nice. Comfortable, a little guide narration on the way

For my last trip through there, NCL offered a separate xfer for ppl with later flights that was a really good option. They drove you through Rome, gave you short free time at a few locations, etc. They gave us a few hours on our own at Vatican City, and that's how I most unexpectedly got to see St Peter's Basilica (the line was pretty short that day).

The Basilica was one of the best unexpected surprises in all of my cruising. I completely loved it, but had no particular interest in it before then and would never ever have seen it if not for the NCL "extended" transfer for later flights.

4 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

Thank you all so much for your information. We haven't booked our flights yet. Right now they're a lot more expensive than the actual cruise. It will most likely be the 12:55 flight so we should be alright with either NCL or private transfers.

Getting through the Rome airport can be a harrowing experience.  Most airlines ask that you arrive at that airport at least three hours before your flight's scheduled departure time.  If the traffic from Civitavecchia to FCO is backed up, as it frequently is, it can take more than an hour to get there.  If you are on a bus with 40 others, some of whom will be dropped off before you at different terminals, you might need to add another ten minutes or so to your travel time.  Getting to FCO in time for a 12:55 flight certainly is possible, perhaps even likely, but you probably will feel quite rushed to get there.  As @complawyer has suggested, if your vacation schedule permits it, you may want to consider spending a couple of days in The Eternal City either before or after your cruise.

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

if you're going direct from the ship to the airport, you're doing yourself a major disservice. rome is an absolutely beautiful and amazing city. i would book a hotel and stay for at least 2 days, you wont be sorry

We are staying in Rome for 3 days before the cruise. Have also been there twice before. I agree it is a wonderful place to spend some time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purplecow15 said:

We are staying in Rome for 3 days before the cruise. Have also been there twice before. I agree it is a wonderful place to spend some time.

That being the case, then you should be OK with a 12:55 flight.  I would recommend against a bus or any other type of shared transportation, however.  It may cost more, but under the circumstances you won't want any unnecessary delays while waiting for other passengers.  Just arrange for a taxi for your party, plan to be off the ship as early as you can, and hightail it for FCO.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

you won't want any unnecessary delays while waiting for other passengers. 

I never experienced it that the NCL transfer buses are waiting. You give them your transfer voucher,get on the bus and at the planned time the bus is leaving.

NCL wants to have the passengers as early from the ship and at the airport as possible.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

NCL wants to have the passengers as early from the ship and at the airport as possible.

......and the bus company wants to maximize revenue, better said, fill every seat on the bus, on the 90 minute journey to FCO. NCL wants you off the ship as early as possible. They don't care how long you sit shoreside waiting for a bus to load and leave for the airport. The train service is scheduled and operates on a time schedule, irregardless of passenger capacity.

Edited by luv2kroooz

16 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

......and the bus company wants to maximize revenue, better said, fill every seat on the bus, on the 90 minute journey to FCO. NCL wants you off the ship as early as possible. They don't care how long you sit shoreside waiting for a bus to load and leave for the airport. The train service is scheduled and operates on a time schedule, irregardless of passenger capacity.

thats practically the same what i said.

If your bus departing time is 6:30 they will not wait until 7:30 until everybody is there. The bus company gets the order to bring a fixed number of passengers within a fixed time frame to the airport. Therefore they get a fixed amount per passenger. If the passengers arrive too late and miss their bus then NCL will not care about because it is passengers fault. Bus company will also not care because the earlier they bring all the passengers to the airport the earlier the busses are free for other tours. (and if the bus is arriving at the airport at 8 am they still have the whole day to use the bus)

Also if it is passengers fault NCL will not give any compensation to the passenger and hence they will not reduce the payment to the bus company.

I think there is a big difference between bringing the passengers to the airport after the cruise and bringing the passengers from the airport to the cruise ship before the cruise.

Last November my wife and I had a 5:30pm flight out of FCO day of disembarkation. The free shuttle to Civitavecchia train station followed by a ~€10pp regional train got us to Roma Termini (main station) for 10:15am. Stored luggage at the facility there for €8pp, then we had 5 hours for sightseeing (Baths of Diocletian and Palazzo Massimo) and lunch.

Even if you don't have the spare days, a few hours in Rome can be a great way to finish the cruise and that method still only cost us half the price of the NCL transfer and had zero traffic anxiety.

• Like 1