What's the best type of Walking Boot

asdf1245

Posted (edited)

While in various parts of Alaska and British Columbia, what is the best type of Walking Boot 

to wear?   High Cut, Mid Cut or Low Cut?

Edited by asdf1245

The best type of walking boot, for any situation, is one that is comfortable and does not rub your feet.

A tip, if you are not already aware, when wearing walking boots is to wear two pairs of socks.

• Like 2

Also, do not wear cotton socks. Get high quality wool socks. I also bought a pair of waterproof Merrell’s.  Regular, not hiking shoes. But I’m not planning on major hiking for this one. 

I prefer a comfy walking boot in Alaska. We always do some trail hiking and I also find them nice for all the walking we do in general. I like a mid to medium high cut that provides a bit of ankle support and allows me to tuck my pants in if I’m wearing more legging type jeans. Just my preference over tennis shoes which many people wear quite comfortably as well. 

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I have been to Alaska a ton and have never bought any boots with me. I bring athletic shoes. Is there a reason you are bringing boots?

I have also never brought hiking boots with me on an Alaskan cruise. A good walking shoe or trail runners work fine. 

• Like 2

Most important is comfort then I'd add waterproof. If your feet are dry, they will be warm too. 

I bought some Timberland waterproof low cut hiking shoes back in 2018 when I did a short hike up the Chilkoot Trail. They weren't expensive and I still get a ton of use out of them. Now I wear them everywhere when I'm in Alaska, even in the winter. Comfortable and dry. My feet are happy!

Assuming you have all three options already OP, broken in and comfy, then I'd choose the lightest pair without much wear on the sole which also gives some ankle support - in Alaska there's a good chance you'll be staring off at a distant animal, glacier, peak or whatnot, and it just takes a second of not paying attention to your footing to turn an ankle. Big risk? No - and if forced to choose between a grippy sole and ankle support I'd go for the former as rain and wet decks are pretty much a given, but if you can have both that's best.

If your suitcase is getting full, wear the boots on the plane!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I have also never brought hiking boots with me on an Alaskan cruise. A good walking shoe or trail runners work fine. 

It might just be a preference. What works fine for one person may not for another. I think boots OR walking/tennis shoes are fine depending on what makes you feel most comfortable. Personally I like the ankle stability, warmth, and comfort that my walking boots provide. I live in California and I wear them regularly here for hikes, rainy days, etc.  For me, they are preferable to tennis shoes for our Alaska cruises because they are easier for me walking on wet, or uneven ground, and they keep my feet comfortable and dry. They aren’t heavy duty hiking boots if that is what some people are imagining - just nice walking boots with ankle support and good traction. And they look nice too. Everyone should choose what they find is most comfortable for them. 

While we have hiking boots we have never taken them on an Alaskan itinerary.  We do pack nice waterproof sturdy walking shoes.  We have used them in Northern Europe, South America, the Falklands, Iceland and so forth.  

• Like 1

I love my Keen hiking shoes/boots. They are mid-cut to provide ankle support, which can be important when hiking over uneven terrain. I'm bringing them to AK because we are planning to do a couple of hikes.

For general walking,, I prefer Brooks Ghost running shoes. I'll be bringing those also!

Posted (edited)
On 3/30/2024 at 9:55 AM, Crew News said:

Merrell MOAB low-cut Goretex shoes

This is the shoe I use as well.  Highly recommend.

For warm weather climates, I use Keen Newport closed toe hiking sandals.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

For those of you with Merrell MOAB - I just got a pair and find the insole very hard.  Does it stay that way?  I have a bit of Planters and am contemplating switching out the insole.  I have until the end of August to break them in.  

5 hours ago, goofygame said:

For those of you with Merrell MOAB - I just got a pair and find the insole very hard.  Does it stay that way?  I have a bit of Planters and am contemplating switching out the insole.  I have until the end of August to break them in.  

Plantar Fasciitis is a whole different animal when it comes to your foot feeling comfortable.  My spouse suffers from Plantar Fasciitis, and he wears Merrells. We had spent a couple of hours trying hiking shoes on at REI to find the right one for each of us.  I have the Merrells MOAB, but he has a different type of Merrells (but doesn't remember which) and uses his custom fit orthotactics. Before the custom fit orthotactics, he used 'Superfeet' insoles in his Merrells, and he found it helpful.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Plantar Fasciitis is a whole different animal when it comes to your foot feeling comfortable.  My spouse suffers from Plantar Fasciitis, and he wears Merrells. We had spent a couple of hours trying hiking shoes on at REI to find the right one for each of us.  I have the Merrells MOAB, but he has a different type of Merrells (but doesn't remember which) and uses his custom fit orthotactics. Before the custom fit orthotactics, he used 'Superfeet' insoles in his Merrells, and he found it helpful.

Occasionally, I have problems with PF (it never seems to really go away; just dormant depending on what I am doing).  I have tried a variety of shoes for walking, hiking and running.  Merrells are pretty good but I use them for walking and hiking primarily because I can get them in wide sizes.  Custom fit orthotics are important for me to avoid sgnificant foot discomfort.

• Like 2

As a retired avid backpacker, I have been though many boots during that time. I now wear the Merrell MOAB’s on excursions from the ship and hiking. I have found them to be the most comfortable out of the box.

No matter what boots you choose, make sure you get them a few weeks prior to needing them.

Break them in. Wear them around the house, out shopping, etc.

If you are going to wearing them for an extended period, have some wide band aids on hand to cover the hot spot. They will probably show on the heel first.

If you are going to be on a long hike, you will probably have a small backpack. Small backpack good for carrying extra water, snacks or lunch, small first aid kit. Also, a small spray bottle, like the trial size of hair spray of rubbing alcohol and an extra pair of socks.

When you sit to take your rest stop, take those boots off, take your socks off and spray your feet with the alcohol. Let them dry, put the fresh socks on. I would clip the socks that I took off, to the outside of my pack to dry out, until the next stop. Your feet will thank you.

• Like 2

Sorel is the brand that was recommended to me by a Northern mom, when our youngest headed to a northern college with lots of snow.  I have never put them on my feet, so I can't comment on comfort, but I know that brand has LOTS of boot options.

I got some Sporto boots for our first Alaska cruise in 2015 and love them. We don't do any serious hiking anymore, but they offer good support, are comfortable, and keep my feet dry. I sometimes wear them here at home when it rains and will be taking them on our fourth Alaska cruise this summer. HSN.com has several styles on sale right now.