Do you want QM2 photos? I got QM2 photos!

tjunmin

This is my first cruise on Cunard and on the Queen Mary 2, after being with Celebrity for 16 years. Currently on board, sailing from Singapore to Southampton.

Photography is one of my hobbies. I've been taking photos while on board and on shore excursions. Food is a passion of mine and very important in my cruising experience, so taking photos of everything I've been eating as well.

I love art deco, so it has been a delight to experience the QM2 and its refined interiors. My QM2 photos can be found here [link].

Before my sailing, I've struggled to find photos of the food offerings on board. Photos of the Britannia Restaurant and the menu items will be posted here [link].

I've been enjoying the food offered throughout the QM2, from The Verandah to Bamboo, through Kings Court, as well as Sir Samuel's, Carinthia Lounge and Golden Lion (although the service in the last one has been abysmal in my personal experience). Photos from all venues can be found here [link].

In this cruise, I'm doing a mix of Cunard-offered shore excursions and private tours. Photos of my experiences from Singapore to Southampton will be found here [link].

At this point, I'm only one week into my sailing. I'll be adding more photos on a daily basis throughout my journey.

I'll write a full review of my experience, sharing my impressions about Cunard, at the end of my voyage.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 15

@tjunmin Thank you. Your photos are great. I'll make a point of watching for more.

One minor thing, and I know it's difficult from a personal privacy point of view, but I think most of the venues look better when they are packed with people enjoying themselves. I'd enjoy any you get the opportunity to take without having recognisable faces.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, D&N said:

@tjunmin Thank you. Your photos are great. I'll make a point of watching for more.

One minor thing, and I know it's difficult from a personal privacy point of view, but I think most of the venues look better when they are packed with people enjoying themselves. I'd enjoy any you get the opportunity to take without having recognisable faces.

I don’t think I agree.  Just as on port days, I love the ships when they are empty.

• Like 6

Thank you tjunmin, your photos are REMARKABLE!!!! The composition, color and essence, all beautifully captured. And I'm sure you are not hauling around your own lighting. If you don't mind me asking, what camera equipment are you using?

Again, thank you so much. I hope you find Cunard to your taste and have the opportunity to sail all 4 ships.

Jack

• Like 2

I really enjoyed your post and especially the photos. It would answer a lot of questions raised on this site at times. Our last cruise on QM2 was 65 nights that was many years ago and it bought it all back what a great ship it is and appears to be in very excellent condition.

Really appreciated and look forward to your further posts.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your kind words.

I'm using a mirrorless Fujifilm X-T20 with a Tamron 18-300mm F/3.5-6.3 lens. It is a somewhat older camera, but it does the job. The lens is a recent purchase. I take photos in RAW format and post-process them using DXO PhotoLab. I used to use Adobe Lightroom, but had to switch to PhotoLab because Lightroom does not offer a lens correction profile for the X-T20 with Tamron lens combination.

I uploaded my Galle, Sri Lanka photos into the Ports of Call album [link]. I visited Colombo a few years ago, so I decided to explore the Old Town of Galle and its Fortifications - a UNESCO World Heritage site - in this trip through a Cunard offered tour. It was a lovely sunny and warm day (32C/90F). For lunch, we had the opportunity to experience a delicious traditional Sri Lankan seafood curry, among the many dishes offered.

Four sea days ahead of us, until we reach Mauritius. Lots of food pictures to come. :)

Thom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2024 at 10:02 PM, D&N said:

Thanks for the suggestion! It will be a challenge to include people in the photos and ensure that faces are not recognizable. If I manage to capture any, I'll include in the albums!

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 10:39 PM, Jack E Dawson said:

Thank you tjunmin, your photos are REMARKABLE!!!! The composition, color and essence, all beautifully captured. And I'm sure you are not hauling around your own lighting. If you don't mind me asking, what camera equipment are you using?

Again, thank you so much. I hope you find Cunard to your taste and have the opportunity to sail all 4 ships.

I've had the opportunity to work in Chicago for a year and half. I love the city, with its gorgeous architecture and fantastic food scene!

My good old Fujifilm X-T20 is what I carry around to take photos. While I'm impressed with how easy it is to take good photos these days using top-of-the-line cell phones, I like the quality that good lenses bring to photography.

I also hope that Cunard will be a good fit for my future cruising needs!

Thom

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 11:31 PM, NE John said:

You really captured how well the ship looks post-retrofit. 
I also join in asking about the photographic equipment you use. 

I've never been on QM2 pre-retrofit, but I do enjoy some of the updated features, such as the new Carinthia Lounge.QM2 is a dignified grand lady, and it is a pleasure capturing her in the best light possible with my good old Fujifilm X-T20.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 5:07 AM, intel said:

I really enjoyed your post and especially the photos. It would answer a lot of questions raised on this site at times. Our last cruise on QM2 was 65 nights that was many years ago and it bought it all back what a great ship it is and appears to be in very excellent condition.

Really appreciated and look forward to your further posts.

I can only imagine how delightful it is to spend 65 nights on board the QM2, with all the fun filled activities during day time and the exciting entertainment in the evenings. I do hope that the photos will assist passengers new to Cunard in the future, planning their first voyage on this magnificent vessel!

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 5:32 PM, Mudhen said:

Pictures were fabulous! Cunard should hire you for some of their copy!

Thank you for sending them on to us!

You are so kind. I'm just an amateur trying to improve my photography skills. Glad you are enjoying the photos!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rmsEtruria said:

Marvellous pictures—thank you! Can’t wait to experience all this ourselves; but still over a year to go . . . .

Planning is half of the fun! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience, with such a competent crew onboard.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Today was a lovely day at sea, with pleasant temperatures and calm seas.

For breakfast and lunch, Carinthia Lounge offerings were delightful [link]. I also included some photos of the amazing Easter chocolate decorations at Kings Court.

Cunard Insights featured David Harper, with his humorous and entertaining account of The Big Three, followed by Danielle Barnett's life journey. The afternoon was spent reading Musashi - from Eiji Yoshikawa - on a comfortable Promenade deck chair.

Friendly dinner service at Britannia Restaurant capped off the day [link].

Thom

Edited by tjunmin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, tjunmin said:

I've never been on QM2 pre-retrofit, but I do enjoy some of the updated features, such as the new Carinthia Lounge.QM2 is a dignified grand lady, and it is a pleasure capturing her in the best light possible with my good old Fujifilm X-T20.

The Carinthia area really needed an update and it looks great in your photos. The food offerings are underrated there.
That 300mm lens makes a huge difference. I have a 10 year old Nikon that I prefer over the IPhone camera because of that close up lens. Thanks also for the heads up about the Adobe/Photolab software. I’ll get educated about those platforms before my upcoming Alaska cruise. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tjunmin said:

Thanks for the suggestion! It will be a challenge to include people in the photos and ensure that faces are not recognizable. If I manage to capture any, I'll include in the albums!

Of course my suggestion isn't backed unanimously!😀 The rooms and areas do look great empty and your photos are really bringing out the colours and the feeling of space. I just feel that all the spaces were designed to accommodate hundreds of people. My memories are generally of them being full and that's what I look forward to seeing on our future sailings.

What I realised after our last trip was that my phone and compact superzoom camera have really small sensors and the quality of most of our photos was very poor in comparison to your APS-C. 

I've now bought a Sony A7C and lots of kit, which of course is far bulkier than a phone and selfie tripod/stick!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful pictures of my favorite ship. I, too, came from Celebrity ( starting with them in 2001) - I much prefer the quite and classy athmosphere on board Cunard ships- esp. of course QM2. I still put in the occaisonall voyage with X- but Cunard is now ny choice. For the first time I saw that they really did a great job in the last dry dock, esp. the Dining Room chairs and Carinthia have been in dire need of an update- and they got it- nicely done, too.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:52 PM, NE John said:

The Carinthia area really needed an update and it looks great in your photos. The food offerings are underrated there.
That 300mm lens makes a huge difference. I have a 10 year old Nikon that I prefer over the IPhone camera because of that close up lens. Thanks also for the heads up about the Adobe/Photolab software. I’ll get educated about those platforms before my upcoming Alaska cruise. 

I really enjoy the food at Carinthia Lounge. Generally speaking, the food offerings are tasty, the presentation is nice, and the serving sizes are small; it reminds me of Spanish tapas. The only downside is the lack of variety; the offerings are always the same, with little change.

Regarding lenses, you are absolutely correct. Photos taken using modern cell phones like the most recent iPhones look fantastic, especially when shared on social media. However, when blown up on a large computer screen, the limitations of a cell phone camera lens are clearly noticeable.

The 300mm lens is new to me. I purchased it for this trip, so I'm still getting used to it and learning its peculiarities. My previous lens was a FUJINON 18-55mm, and it did a relatively good job. Here are photos from my previous cruise on December 2023, taken using the FUJINON 18-55mm lens [link].

I've used Adobe Lightroom for years (with the 18-55mm lens). DxO PhotoLab is new to me and I'm still learning how to use it (with the 18-300mm). Each one of them has its own merits. If you don't use them and are considering purchasing, both of them offer free trials.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 11:41 PM, D&N said:

Of course my suggestion isn't backed unanimously!😀 The rooms and areas do look great empty and your photos are really bringing out the colours and the feeling of space. I just feel that all the spaces were designed to accommodate hundreds of people. My memories are generally of them being full and that's what I look forward to seeing on our future sailings.

What I realised after our last trip was that my phone and compact superzoom camera have really small sensors and the quality of most of our photos was very poor in comparison to your APS-C. 

I've now bought a Sony A7C and lots of kit, which of course is far bulkier than a phone and selfie tripod/stick!

When I grow up, I'll get a full frame camera. ;-)

Congratulations on your Sony A7C purchase! I've been looking at full-frame cameras for a while, but the prices of the top of the line ones are eye watering.

How are you enjoying the Sony A7C? What are the pros and cons in your eyes?

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2024 at 11:44 PM, LJS24 said:

Love your photos !!  I'm going on my first QM2 cruise next year so find it really interesting looking at current photos

Glad to hear you are enjoying the photos. The QM2 is a truly beautiful ship. Hope you'll enjoy your sailing on her next year!

If there is anything you'd like to see that is not in the albums, let me know and I'll go take a picture.

• Like 2