Baltimore Carnival cruise terminal

We're leaving Sunday on the Pride re-positioning cruise from Tampa, and they haven't told us whether we will end up in Baltimore or Norfolk. All indications point to Norfolk, but Carnival has yet to say anything official.  I think September is way further back than the back burner. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aborgman said:

All the estimates I'm seeing are more than a month, less than year to re-open the channel.

Which is what some of us have said from the beginning.

On 4/1/2024 at 9:02 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

I've followed Mr. Heald's communications for a while.  You should consider them official, as they almost always come from official sources.  He makes clear the posts that are only his opinions.

John Heald is employed by Carnival as Carnival Cruise's Brand Ambassador.  Any information he relays is official.  Any actual opinions he relays are his (as he gets some of the most outrageous questions and comments) and not Carnival's - but the actual information is directly from 'the Beards' as he calls them. You can follow him on his Facebook Page there are numerous posts daily. 

Our sailing out of Baltimore is not until October, so we are hopeful.  Anyone sailing from Baltimore before an official reopen date - should ensure they book hotel rooms that are fully refundable.  Hotels are getting pricey - and often if you pay in full upfront it is less expensive - but often you cannot cancel and they are not refundable.  Watch that fine print.

5 minutes ago, Qchell said:

John Heald is employed by Carnival as Carnival Cruise's Brand Ambassador.  Any information he relays is official.  Any actual opinions he relays are his (as he gets some of the most outrageous questions and comments) and not Carnival's - but the actual information is directly from 'the Beards' as he calls them. You can follow him on his Facebook Page there are numerous posts daily. 

Our sailing out of Baltimore is not until October, so we are hopeful.  Anyone sailing from Baltimore before an official reopen date - should ensure they book hotel rooms that are fully refundable.  Hotels are getting pricey - and often if you pay in full upfront it is less expensive - but often you cannot cancel and they are not refundable.  Watch that fine print.

Absolutely 

John Heald will deliver updates as to when

The Baltimore Cruise Terminal will reopen.

This being April 4th my prediction would be

no sooner than June 4th 

The task to remove that amount of mangled metal will take months. 

7 minutes ago, joe/jack said:

Absolutely 

John Heald will deliver updates as to when

The Baltimore Cruise Terminal will reopen.

This being April 4th my prediction would be

no sooner than June 4th 

The task to remove that amount of mangled metal will take months. 

During JH's FB video today, he said for the guests on the Pride repositioning cruise not to change a thing yet.  I think they know more than what is being reported.  During a news conference with unified command, it was said that they are attempting to establish a 35' deep channel adjacent to the Dali.  They indicated 35' would allow some container ship to navigate the channel.  It would also allow Spirit class ships to navigate the channel, since their max draft is 26'. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

USACE is stating they "expects to open a limited access channel 280' wide and 35" deep" by the end of the month and "restore port access to normal capacity" by the end of May. 

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers develops tentative timeline to reopen Fort McHenry Channel following Key Bridge collapse > U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Headquarters > News Release Article View

Edited by JMAE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I changed my cruise from April to September this year so I will patiently and hope that all ships can make plans on what to do. I will be travelling by Amtrak so I really need definite plans. I will be 67 at that point and while I love and adore my 3 children, they are concerned about me travelling alone.

I see it as maybe the "last great adventure" and look forward to this cruise. I am sure it will all work out. Prayers for the workers trying to open this channel up and thank you Coast Guard!

17 hours ago, JMAE said:

USACE is stating they "expects to open a limited access channel 280' wide and 35" deep" by the end of the month and "restore port access to normal capacity" by the end of May. 

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers develops tentative timeline to reopen Fort McHenry Channel following Key Bridge collapse > U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Headquarters > News Release Article View

And then they hedge that things may happen to extend that time line.

Yes, things can always happen.  I assume some time was built into their current projected timeline to account for some delays.  If nothing catastrophic or weather related occurs, they may achieve their goals at or ahead of their timeline.    

To answer the OPS question about hotels in case they get to go out of Baltimore in the future, we always stay at the Hampton Inn in Inner Harbor. It's nice to be in the Inner Harbor area and walk to everything including some good restaurants. Once you get to Penn Station on Amtrak it's a short Uber ride to the hotel. Then you can grab an Uber to the port on embarkation day. We've stayed at this hotel numerous times and have always enjoyed it.

1 minute ago, teknoge3k said:

To answer the OPS question about hotels in case they get to go out of Baltimore in the future, we always stay at the Hampton Inn in Inner Harbor. It's nice to be in the Inner Harbor area and walk to everything including some good restaurants. Once you get to Penn Station on Amtrak it's a short Uber ride to the hotel. Then you can grab an Uber to the port on embarkation day. We've stayed at this hotel numerous times and have always enjoyed it.

Since DH and I are driving up from SC the day before, we have reservations at a bed and breakfast on the river.  I hope our embarkation on Sept 1 happens out of Baltimore because I'd really like to stay at this BnB.🤞

• Like 1