Baltimore Carnival cruise terminal

I am just about to book the Pride on May 26th for the 14 day cruise. I am traveling by Amtrak from Texas and really need some help on which hotel is worth staying at and that maybe has transportation to the port or has taxi service. Where did ya'll stay and would you stay there again? Thank you in advance and I hope I get alot of wonderful information.

Stay tuned…you may have noticed the several threads about the Key bridge collapse…your ship may be leaving from Norfolk rather than Baltimore.  Depends on when they get the bridge wreckage cleared from the channel, and the channel dredged.  EM

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, noslen3333 said:

thanks ya'll. Found out last night. Strange but there is nothing on Carnival's website about moving to Norfolk. I had the cruise on hold and cancelled today.

Idk what to say. I live in texas and it's been all over the news. Of course I follow stocks and news a lot but cant imagine not having heard about the bridge collapse. I bet cruises from Baltimore are cheap right now because of the uncertainty.  .. maybe consider Galveston. 

Royal moved to norfolk too btw, dont book them either from Baltimore in the next month or so.

Edited by firefly333

My original plan was to take Amtrak to Baltimore and therefore, not have to change trains. But after it moved to Norfolk, that was no longer the case and my plans became too complimented. I have rebooked the cruise for September and hopefuly that will be enough time for the channel to open for ships, I did know about the terrible tragedy about the bridge collaspe and it made me so sad for the families involved. Thank you all for your comments.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, noslen3333 said:

My original plan was to take Amtrak to Baltimore and therefore, not have to change trains. But after it moved to Norfolk, that was no longer the case and my plans became too complimented. I have rebooked the cruise for September and hopefuly that will be enough time for the channel to open for ships, I did know about the terrible tragedy about the bridge collaspe and it made me so sad for the families involved. Thank you all for your comments.

Hi there noslen3333:

According to John Heald's YouTube Q & A, Carnival isn't planning to offer FCC if cruisers choose not to take advantage of the accommodation (bus to Norfolk). I am newish to the cruise world, so I don't know if Heald's communications are official. We are scheduled to sail on April 21st, so if we are unable to sail from Baltimore, I presume this would still apply.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, diasek said:

According to John Heald's YouTube Q & A, Carnival isn't planning to offer FCC if cruisers choose not to take advantage of the accommodation (bus to Norfolk). I am newish to the cruise world, so I don't know if Heald's communications are official. We are scheduled to sail on April 21st, so if we are unable to sail from Baltimore, I presume this would still apply.

I've followed Mr. Heald's communications for a while.  You should consider them official, as they almost always come from official sources.  He makes clear the posts that are only his opinions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PA Dutchman said:

I hope so, but it doesn't look good

They've already announced it's more complicated than they thought.

20 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Idk what to say. I live in texas and it's been all over the news. Of course I follow stocks and news a lot but cant imagine not having heard about the bridge collapse.

I would not have known about the collapse if I hadn't seen the thread here on CC.  I don't watch the "bad" news and most of my television watching is via streaming channels on my Roku device.  I also don't have cable (cut that cord many years ago!)  I really don't watch enough TV to justify the price of cable.

so it's not out of scope for someone to be completely unaware of the collapse.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

I would not have known about the collapse if I hadn't seen the thread here on CC.  I don't watch the "bad" news and most of my television watching is via streaming channels on my Roku device.  I also don't have cable (cut that cord many years ago!)  I really don't watch enough TV to justify the price of cable.

so it's not out of scope for someone to be completely unaware of the collapse.

I saw it on CC first as well, then on my news feed on my cell. I don't like "bad" news either.  I do like 60 Minutes.😺

I have sailed out of Baltimore twice but for the life of me can't remember what it looks like. Does anyone have any pics of the port to refresh my memory? Sailing out of Baltimore (🤞) May 26

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Who announced this?  Carnival?  People doing the clearing of the debris?  Thx!

Um, since I live in the DC area, it's local news for us.  The US Coast Guard and DOD have news conferences everyday and they said it. 

Edited by BND
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Um, since I live in the DC area, it's local news for us.  The US Coast Guard and DOD have news conferences everyday and they said it. 

It was also on the news here in the Tampa Bay area.

The complicated clearance of tons of debris from the water has to occur before the ship can be moved. It is going to be a long process.

The priority is to get a way to allow a limit amount of the economically important cargo to flow in and out of the port.

Read between the lines: cruise ships are not the top of the list and, when compared to the economic impact of the cargo port not being open, doesn't make that big of a blip.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

It was also on the news here in the Tampa Bay area.

The complicated clearance of tons of debris from the water has to occur before the ship can be moved. It is going to be a long process.

The priority is to get a way to allow a limit amount of the economically important cargo to flow in and out of the port.

Read between the lines: cruise ships are not the top of the list and, when compared to the economic impact of the cargo port not being open, doesn't make that big of a blip.

They opened a very shallow channel to allow smaller traffic and some barges in, but deeper draft ships will have to wait.  

2 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Who announced this?  Carnival?  People doing the clearing of the debris?  Thx!

Coast Guard:

“What we’re finding is it is more complicated than we hoped for initially,” said U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral Shannon Gilreath.

All the estimates I'm seeing are more than a month, less than year to re-open the channel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BND said:

They opened a very shallow channel to allow smaller traffic and some barges in, but deeper draft ships will have to wait.  

Yep - controlling depth of 11'.

1 hour ago, aborgman said:

Coast Guard:

“What we’re finding is it is more complicated than we hoped for initially,” said U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral Shannon Gilreath.

All the estimates I'm seeing are more than a month, less than year to re-open the channel.

Eek!  My September cruise was supposed to be out of Baltimore.  I wonder when Carnival will notify me? I feel bad for the businesses affected as well as the victims and their families.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

To continue the information that goes with this statement:

The shallow channel is to allow only some shallow draft vessels out and let those vessels helping with clearing the wreckage in.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

Eek!  My September cruise was supposed to be out of Baltimore.  I wonder when Carnival will notify me? I feel bad for the businesses affected as well as the victims and their families.

September is almost 6 months from now.  They are notifying as they know and the port should be usable/accessible by then.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1