Australia to Hawaii on Celebrity Edge - Port or Starboard Side Cabin?

We are booking the Australia to Hawaii cruise on the Celebrity Edge ship April 20, 2026.  We typically book Port side cabins, however wanted to ask anyone who has been on this cruise, which side is best for seeing sites from the cabin in port, instead of being on the ocean side.  Look forward to hearing the answer to this question and any other information or tips you would be willing share about this cruise.

Thank you!!

1 hour ago, hotcruzer said:

We are booking the Australia to Hawaii cruise on the Celebrity Edge ship April 20, 2026.  We typically book Port side cabins, however wanted to ask anyone who has been on this cruise, which side is best for seeing sites from the cabin in port, instead of being on the ocean side.  Look forward to hearing the answer to this question and any other information or tips you would be willing share about this cruise.

Thank you!!

I’m looking forward to a review of your cruise, my advice is just get a cabin near the stairwell or lifts.

• Like 1

I asked this question when I first went on a cruise. The consensus was that, when it comes to en route scenery, work out what side of the ship most of the land going past will be. Even then, you may well be too far out to see any land.  If there is some spectacular scenic point, the captain will often do a 360 degree turn so both sides of the ship get a view.

When it comes to ports, there is no way to tell if port of starboard is best, because you don't know which way the ship will be facing when it docks.  It might back into the dock, for example.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

When travelling east to Hawaii, the Port side would get the majority of the sun, Starboard will get the shade.

Thank you, that is very helpful information!!!!

Heidi & Ron

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I asked this question when I first went on a cruise. The consensus was that, when it comes to en route scenery, work out what side of the ship most of the land going past will be. Even then, you may well be too far out to see any land.  If there is some spectacular scenic point, the captain will often do a 360 degree turn so both sides of the ship get a view.

When it comes to ports, there is no way to tell if port of starboard is best, because you don't know which way the ship will be facing when it docks.  It might back into the dock, for example.

Thank you, appreciate your response!  Yes, we have been on a number of cruises and have experienced different docking positions, in Alaska have experienced the Captain doing those 360 degree turns and appreciated them.  We appreciate the reminder 🙂 !!!    

Heidi & Ron

• Like 1

Except for New Zealand there are no land masses to speak of so and IMHO, it would not matter either way as the ship will be quite some distance from the NZ coast. Instead, work out which you prefer, sunrises or sunsets and go with that.

• Like 1

Agreed, that is why sun or shade on the balcony may also be important.

I am not sure of the itinerary though.

If the cruise goes from Sydney to NZ, and Milford Sound is first stop, then Port may be better going down the west coast and back up the east coast of NZ.

If the cruise goes from Sydney to NZ and the first stop is Auckland then Starboard may be better for going down the east coast of NZ.

If the cruise goes straight to New Caledonia, then I don't think it really matters.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

Imagine my surprise when we awoke in Noumea, expecting our starboard balcony view to be out over the beautiful harbour & city, only to see piles of ore & an ugly cargo vessel. Never expected that the master would have chosen to reverse park 😮

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 4:01 PM, hotcruzer said:

Thank you!!

Have you been on Edge before,it looks like you usually do carnival.

I was on it a few weeks ago,nice ship but expensive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 3:01 PM, hotcruzer said:

Thank you!!

We have booked this trip on the Edge in April 2026. Didn't even consider which side of the ship to book but we have booked on the starboard side.