Nexus Fees Going Up

gnome12

Just read that the fee for Global Entry is going up from $100 to $120. Nexus and SENTRI fees are also going up to $120. You might want to get your Nexus renewal in earlier, especially if your credit card company doesn't cover the cost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Yes, it is. But Global Entry was $100 (for less advantages) and is going to the same $120. We just got a really good deal with Nexus in the past.

Whether or not we had a good deal in the past, a 140% increase for any government fee is still a significant jump. Typically, an increase of this magnitude would be phased in over a period of time.

• Like 2

The fee has been $50 for the past 20 years.  I'm surprised it took this long to happen. Still worth it to me as I'm only 10 min from the border and go down for gas frequently. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Our TD Infinite Privilege Visa gives up to $100 rebate once every two years for Nexus.  I was curious when Nexus was only $50, but this was likely to accommodate the cardholder and one other person in the household?  Guess we are almost covered for cost.

I am ok with the cost for the value.  We would not want to do without our Nexus cards.

For us this is like Hwy 407 for those in Ontario.  We only drive it occasionally but still have a transponder.  Cost vs. convenience is what we look at and convenience generally always wins.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Our TD Infinite Privilege Visa gives up to $100 rebate once every two years for Nexus.  I was curious when Nexus was only $50, but this was likely to accommodate the cardholder and one other person in the household?  Guess we are almost covered for cost.

I am ok with the cost for the value.  We would not want to do without our Nexus cards.

For us this is like Hwy 407 for those in Ontario.  We only drive it occasionally but still have a transponder.  Cost vs. convenience is what we look at and convenience generally always wins.

Wow , you must be a billionaire to drive the 407 😱🤣

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

We also have the TD VIP Card. According to the TD web site for the VIP card:

Enroll for NEXUS and once every 48 months get an application fee rebate8

No matter what the cost, NEXUS is hugely valuable to us, and we'd pay the cost even if our credit cards didn't cover any of it.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We also have the TD VIP Card. According to the TD web site for the VIP card:

Enroll for NEXUS and once every 48 months get an application fee rebate8

No matter what the cost, NEXUS is hugely valuable to us, and we'd pay the cost even if our credit cards didn't cover any of it.

Not suggesting that you are not aware of this, but your card is only a max rebate of $100.00

But I agree, even if I have to pay out of pocket in the future above what TD will cover, I will still renew my Nexus.

image.thumb.png.b74986541ce4be35ff3737e567d01ab3.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

Not suggesting that you are not aware of this, but your card is only a max rebate of $100.00

But I agree, even if I have to pay out of pocket in the future above what TD will cover, I will still renew my Nexus.

image.thumb.png.b74986541ce4be35ff3737e567d01ab3.png

Yes, fully aware of the Ts and Cs. My latest renewal, two years ago, was for an unusual three years, not five, so when I renew this August, I will have to pay the fee out of pocket. At least it will be at the old rate of $50, and well worth every penny.

• Like 1

I'm really happy we put in our application last September, even with the wait $50 for 5 years is a steal. The $120 announced now, may make it not worth it, but we'll have to see in 5 years what it's like. (we are still pending and haven't even got interviews yet). 

We travel only once or twice a year, so Nexus at $50 was good. But with that amount of travel, $120x2 is less inviting. I'll have to look around at new CC's that may cover the additional cost of the application when we go to renew, or maybe the one we have now will update to include the higher fee. 

The other determining factor will be how they conduct the interviews in the future. We are in Newfoundland so have to travel no matter what to do an interview. I know they offered some virtual but that was for renewals now new application, so for us we have to try and time our interview with our next trip. It's a lot of pain for something nice to have for us, and not a must...so the increase in cost and possible time requirements to renew are going to impact that. But, then again, with the wait times as they currently are, maybe a higher cost of entry will help streamline the application for people who would benefit from the program.

• Like 1

We just renewed in 2023 so we are spared the increase until 2028 but by then we might not need one. I think at $50USD for 5 years it is a steal and we don't use it that much but still well worth it. At this point if i was renewing right now i still consider $120USD for 5 years a pretty good deal for the convenience. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

$24USD per year is worth every Lincoln cent. With NEXUS/Global Entry I avoid the imbecile line at airport security, go through YYZ pre-clearance in minutes, breeze through at land crossings and avoid the horror show of customs and immigration when entering the U.S. from another country. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

We will always pay for what we perceive to be the convenience of the Nexus card for flying out of Toronto Pearson Airport.  The added TSA approved status is a great help now too.

What is not necessarily a benefit is arriving back into Toronto Pearson.  As all the others stand in line to get to the luggage claim, we have now been standing at the luggage carousel for 20+ minutes because we came through so quickly.  Toronto Pearson is the longest wait for luggage of any airport I have flown through and collected luggage.

Arriving back to YYZ is great if you only have carryon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We just squeaked in, it seems!  Applied Feb 2023, and had our interviews just after Christmas.  I'm not usually lucky but happy to have luck on our side this time!

~Bernadette

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I renewed mine in the last year or so.  Couldn’t tell you how much it was.  Even with the $120 fee that works out to $2 a month.  It’s time to stop traveling if I can’t afford that.

I renewed mine last year for US$50. Which is what it was when I first applied 10 years ago. For years, we got a great deal compared to Global Entry; now they are harmonizing the costs. Nexus is still a better deal if you occasionally cross the border by car or by plane.

Pretty dependent on personal parameters but at a rough equivalent of $30-35CAD/year going forward, I think it would still provide enough value for me.  

Between the number of road trips to Bellingham/Seattle/Portland and trips involving flights we take, it averages out to costing about $5/trip/pp for us (it'll be less when I renew this year because I have a cc that has the Nexus benefit).  For us, $5 is pretty nominal to save some travel friction.  While I hate to admit it, it's becoming apparent that as the missus and I age, we're getting a bit softer in our travel decisions and are willing to pay a little bit more for comfort and convenience.

5 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Pretty dependent on personal parameters but at a rough equivalent of $30-35CAD/year going forward, I think it would still provide enough value for me.  

Between the number of road trips to Bellingham/Seattle/Portland and trips involving flights we take, it averages out to costing about $5/trip/pp for us (it'll be less when I renew this year because I have a cc that has the Nexus benefit).  For us, $5 is pretty nominal to save some travel friction.  While I hate to admit it, it's becoming apparent that as the missus and I age, we're getting a bit softer in our travel decisions and are willing to pay a little bit more for comfort and convenience.

Nexus is absolutely about "comfort and convenience" for us.  No doubt about it.  We would pay much more than this new 5 year fee as long as they keep the speed of passage the same.  Actually the price increase may well keep the membership numbers low enough for the speed of passing to remain the same!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly it was a steal at $50usd / 5 years, even without a credit card rebate.

$120usd / 5 years isn't a steal, but it is enough to give some people pause about it. And perhaps that's the point - maybe the governments want to curb the number of users.

Regardless, wife and kids aren't up for renewal until 2027, so hopefully the price won't go up further by then.

3 hours ago, starvenger said:

Honestly it was a steal at $50usd / 5 years, even without a credit card rebate.

$120usd / 5 years isn't a steal, but it is enough to give some people pause about it. And perhaps that's the point - maybe the governments want to curb the number of users.

Regardless, wife and kids aren't up for renewal until 2027, so hopefully the price won't go up further by then.

I am happy if it curbs users.  Quicker transit for the rest of us.

Frankly we are at a point in life where if it is convenient, we pay for it.

For those in the know, we have a HWY 407 Transponder but might only use it once a month.  However, if we can get there via the 407 over the 401 you bet I am going to pay the toll.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

For those in the know, we have a HWY 407 Transponder but might only use it once a month.  However, if we can get there via the 407 over the 401 you bet I am going to pay the toll.

I hear you. I used to work near the airport and I live on the east side of Markham. Long, frustrating drive.