Foreign Transaction fees

EllieinNJ

If I book a Mexican bus tour through Viator, do they charge a foreign transaction fee on your credit card if that card does not have the foreign transaction exemption?  I called them but got someone whose accent was hard to understand.

I think my foreign excursions booked through Viator were all charged in US dollars in the U.S.  Or any transaction fees were included in the prices I was quoted and charged.  This issue never came up.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

If I book a Mexican bus tour through Viator, do they charge a foreign transaction fee on your credit card if that card does not have the foreign transaction exemption?  I called them but got someone whose accent was hard to understand.

Viator isn't always the best option...check to see if your rollcall might have something booked you can join. JMHO.

On 4/3/2024 at 3:57 AM, EllieinNJ said:

Viator, or any other merchant, doesn't charge the Foreign Transaction Fee-- your bank does. Just make sure you use a credit card when you travel that doesn't have one-- they are plentiful and easy to get. If you use a credit card that doesn't waive them you will always run the risk of getting hit with them. 

Also I do agree with what others have said here-- Viator is just a third party aggregator. You can often book the same things direct for less with a little bit of research and you often get much better treatment, espectially customer service if things need to be changed, from the vendors when you book direct. 

• Thanks 1