Solo Woman on Viking River Cruise

I'm looking at the Amsterdam to Basel River cruise this summer and will be travelling alone. How is Viking for solo travelers?  Do they have tables for dinner where you can join others? 

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Solo Woman on Viking River Cruise

On river cruises, pretty much all the tables are at least 6 people, many larger.  On Viking there are apparently 2 (!!) tables for 2 on the ship, up in the upstairs more casual dining area. 

I went solo on the Grand European in October/November, and I would sit at an empty table each night and see who joined me!  There were several couples and groups who joined me multiple nights, and there were also several other solo travelers who joined multiple nights.  It worked out pretty well although if I had met anyone I really wanted to avoid I guess I would have tried to sit at already almost-full tables.

Breakfast and lunch were more spread-out meals and so if you would prefer not to sit with a group you could generally find a table to yourself, but at dinner everyone eats at once so  you will definitely be with others.

Lots of friendly people and I enjoyed everyone except two couples who sat at my table the last night.

We have met solo travellers on Viking River.  Do as @bottomfeeder suggests... go into the dining room and sit at an empty table and wait.  Folks will join you and all will be good.

On our last cruise what I noted was that for breakfast, many coming in would sit at an empty table rather than join someone.  The breakfast crowd filters in slowly.  We are always at the door when breakfast starts.

Lunch is similar - people filter in a more staggered fashion.

At dinner since there is only one seating and it is generally right after the port talk, everyone converges on the dining room at the same time.  Take your seat and each night you may have different guests.

We sat with the solo traveller many times but not always.

Might I suggest that other lines are probably better for singles. Most other lines will waive single supplement or have low single supplements on some of their cruises.

My experience on Uniworld in Europe was that it was very easy to sit at a table for 6 and some couples or singles would join. On another trip, I generally dined with a couple and another person travelling solo at a table for 4. (On Ama on the Mekong most of the tables were for 8 or more and it was very easy to just sit and people would join you or you could join a table already partly filled.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CDNPolar said:

We have met solo travellers on Viking River.  Do as @bottomfeeder suggests... go into the dining room and sit at an empty table and wait.  Folks will join you and all will be good.

On our last cruise what I noted was that for breakfast, many coming in would sit at an empty table rather than join someone.  The breakfast crowd filters in slowly.  We are always at the door when breakfast starts.

Lunch is similar - people filter in a more staggered fashion.

At dinner since there is only one seating and it is generally right after the port talk, everyone converges on the dining room at the same time.  Take your seat and each night you may have different guests.

We sat with the solo traveller many times but not always.

I read that they have an alternate area, more casual, for some of the dining.  Was this just for breakfast and lunch, or was it available for dinner too?  I'm a solo traveler, and don't want to necessarily do a big dinner every night?  Thanks!!!

10 minutes ago, JosieCat-MN said:

I read that they have an alternate area, more casual, for some of the dining.  Was this just for breakfast and lunch, or was it available for dinner too?  I'm a solo traveler, and don't want to necessarily do a big dinner every night?  Thanks!!!

There is the Aquavit Terrace.  One level up from the dining room and in the front of the ship.  There are only perhaps 6 or 7 tables inside, which are four 4 person tables, and  three 2 person tables.  There are more tables outside but they depend on the weather.

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner all available.

Our only first hand experience is dinner and here is what we found:

• Same menu - not lighter - just order what you want.  A couple of appetizers instead of a main course?  
  • Dinner here started 15 minutes later than the dining room.
  • People "reserved" these tables for dinner as early as 6pm (dinner at 7:15ish) by putting coats, glasses, and other stuff on the tables.  Often we could not get a table out there.  You can NOT actually reserve these tables legitimately.

There seemed to be a group of people that ate there every night or even every meal.  

One night we got there and there was a four table that was not "reserved" and we sat down, expecting that two other people might join us.  I guess we caused quite a stir because the foursome that ate there every night came and their table was gone...  We were approached by a crew member and asked if we would move to a table of two (which had personal belongings on it) and the crew moved these belongings off and we moved there.  

It seems to be to be more hassle than it is worth and in the future we likely won't ever eat there again.  

I suggest that you just go to the dining room.  Have your light meal from the menu options and enjoy the company of the people you are sitting with.

1 minute ago, CDNPolar said:

There is the Aquavit Terrace.  One level up from the dining room and in the front of the ship.  There are only perhaps 6 or 7 tables inside, which are four 4 person tables, and  three 2 person tables.  There are more tables outside but they depend on the weather.

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner all available.

Our only first hand experience is dinner and here is what we found:

• Same menu - not lighter - just order what you want.  A couple of appetizers instead of a main course?  
  • Dinner here started 15 minutes later than the dining room.
  • People "reserved" these tables for dinner as early as 6pm (dinner at 7:15ish) by putting coats, glasses, and other stuff on the tables.  Often we could not get a table out there.  You can NOT actually reserve these tables legitimately.

There seemed to be a group of people that ate there every night or even every meal.  

One night we got there and there was a four table that was not "reserved" and we sat down, expecting that two other people might join us.  I guess we caused quite a stir because the foursome that ate there every night came and their table was gone...  We were approached by a crew member and asked if we would move to a table of two (which had personal belongings on it) and the crew moved these belongings off and we moved there.  

It seems to be to be more hassle than it is worth and in the future we likely won't ever eat there again.  

I suggest that you just go to the dining room.  Have your light meal from the menu options and enjoy the company of the people you are sitting with.

You are SO helpful!  Thank you!!!  Well, that's a bit disappointing.  I know you don't have to "dress up" for dinner, but just really didn't want the whole "dining room" experience for all 7 nights.  I was really looking forward to there being an alternative.  

Just now, JosieCat-MN said:

You are SO helpful!  Thank you!!!  Well, that's a bit disappointing.  I know you don't have to "dress up" for dinner, but just really didn't want the whole "dining room" experience for all 7 nights.  I was really looking forward to there being an alternative.  

I should not make it sound that bad.... It may work for you... who knows.  We just found that there was a core group that "reserved" the tables every night when we looked.  

We were looking for a quiet dinner for two a couple of nights instead of sitting with 4 or 6 others.

River Cruising does not have room service, however, it is my understanding that you can request a tray and pick it up yourself and carry to your cabin.

We also noted that sometimes people who wanted to sit in the Aquavit Terrace and it was full, would sit on the side sofas in that area or just inside the lounge.  They may or may not allow in the lounge, but the side sofas are technically in that terrace.  The Captain sat here a couple of nights that we noticed. 

• Like 1

@victory2020, unless you're "married" to Viking, take a look at other lines for better solo pricing.  I agree 100% with what @gnome12 posted. 

I've sailed both Uniworld and Tauck as a solo, with either no single supplement or a reduced supplement, making it less expensive than Viking's 200% supplement.  Friends have reported good solo pricing on Grand Circle and Gate 1.

38 minutes ago, Roz said:

@victory2020, unless you're "married" to Viking, take a look at other lines for better solo pricing.  I agree 100% with what @gnome12 posted. 

I've sailed both Uniworld and Tauck as a solo, with either no single supplement or a reduced supplement, making it less expensive than Viking's 200% supplement.  Friends have reported good solo pricing on Grand Circle and Gate 1.

Thanks. I found a flash sale with free air & premium drink package for $4525,00 in July for 7 nights. I will check out others before I book.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, victory2020 said:

How is Viking for solo travelers?  Do they have tables for dinner where you can join others? 

Viking is fine for solo travellers. There have been solos on all 13 Viking river cruises we've taken, and yes there's no problem joining others at mealtimes, the opposite in fact. We've met and chatted with some fascinating people - and some bores, but its free seating which means you don't sit with them again.

As for light lunches, I've put photos of menus on the my trip reports* and you can see what's offered. You don't have to have a starter, main & sweet you can have just one, or two starters, or whatever. Breakfast is a buffet, just help yourself to what you want- fruit, yoghurt, bread rolls, sliced bread, loaves to slice, cold meats, nuts etc, or eggs cooked anyway by an egg chef, bacon etc

*See

Trip Report - Lyon & Provence - Viking Denning 15 - 21 August 2023 - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

and

Trip Report - Rhine and Mosel Discovery - Viking Hild 25 April - 1 May 2023 - River Cruising - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I should not make it sound that bad.... It may work for you... who knows.  We just found that there was a core group that "reserved" the tables every night when we looked.  

We were looking for a quiet dinner for two a couple of nights instead of sitting with 4 or 6 others.

River Cruising does not have room service, however, it is my understanding that you can request a tray and pick it up yourself and carry to your cabin.

We also noted that sometimes people who wanted to sit in the Aquavit Terrace and it was full, would sit on the side sofas in that area or just inside the lounge.  They may or may not allow in the lounge, but the side sofas are technically in that terrace.  The Captain sat here a couple of nights that we noticed. 

I appreciate your honesty.  I took a domestic cruise on American Cruise lines a few years ago, and that was my main complaint.  I don't always want to sit down for a 2-hour meal - not for 7 nights in a row.  So I will look into the tray option and also the alternate seating.  I don't care where I sit.  Thanks again!!!

While I love Viking, I would suggest you look at AMAwaterways as well, they cater to solo traveller, and actually have 5 and 7 top tables in the dining room to accommodate solo travelers to join a table. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, knoxclone said:

While I love Viking, I would suggest you look at AMAwaterways as well, they cater to solo traveller, and actually have 5 and 7 top tables in the dining room to accommodate solo travelers to join a table. 

That is a good idea, because when most are travelling in 2's trying to join a table that is set for 6 or 8 can be difficult.

• Like 1

Avalon has a less "formal" option for dinner which you might like.  Same menu, just lighter options.  Also, they wave single supplement on some cruises.  They also offer room service for each meal if you just want to eat is peace. Avalon cabins are a bit larger than what you will find on Viking, fewer cabins mean less people and their payment options are way more attractive.

https://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise-deals/?computed_promotion_ids_sm=276319&sort=computed_itinerary_firstbestdiscountedprice_usd_tl%3Dasc&format=mobile

• Like 1

I've traveled solo on Viking river. No issues with finding table mates for the duration of the cruise. I found nearly all passengers I interacted with to be friendly... of course, there are some you recognize faces, but just never get into conversation with.

Further, with the way the tours operate, no issues with safety or security partly because of the countries you're in, but partly you're in the Viking tour bubble.

Truth be told, I think if you went with AMA, Uniworld, Avalon, or any other like operator, you'd have roughly the same experience.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @Mike07--I also did a solo river cruise on Uniworld and there was far more that was the same than different.  The ships are smaller than ocean ships and so necessarily have fewer options in many areas of the experience--including food.

And while I haven't sailed on any lines other than those two, I enjoy Viking (both river and ocean) and they do have some reduced solo supplements, as well as including air and sometimes the premium drink packages (though I could care less about that, really, since I don't drink much at all.)  When you add it all together it is less than the whole package from another cruise line--though I admit to watching Viking sales like a hawk, and not so much so other lines, so perhaps I missed some good deals on others.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose--and maybe you can try a few different lines and decide which is your absolute favorite.  🙂

On 4/5/2024 at 8:50 AM, CDNPolar said:

CDN-  I'm pretty sure my daughter saw the incident you're talking about, was it the the front right table?  That should have never happened, those were some entitled people.  A mother/daughter couple was told the same thing; they were looking forward to sitting at a 4 top, hoping another couple would join them so they could chit-chat, and that group ran them off.  The mother/daughter kinda hung out by themselves the rest of the trip.

We were told that if you wanted an Aquavit table, to put something on it after 1800.  It was my spouse/daughter/bf and we sat up front left 4 top maybe 5 or 6 nights out of 9.  

The Captain sitting in the lounge, yes, my spouse thought it was his spouse joining him for New Years.  It was nice to see them.

That may have been the same night that a couple that was usually at a 2 top found it occupied, and wound up slipping some $ to be able to sit in the lounge.  They spoke to both the waiter and the dining room manager.  I didn't see the big deal in them wanting to sit there.

To me, that the Aquavit Lounge meals take almost as long as the MDR is the issue I'd like to see Viking address.  If going back to a served buffet gets you in and out quicker, I'd be happy.

1 hour ago, ural guy said:

CDN-  I'm pretty sure my daughter saw the incident you're talking about, was it the the front right table?  That should have never happened, those were some entitled people.  A mother/daughter couple was told the same thing; they were looking forward to sitting at a 4 top, hoping another couple would join them so they could chit-chat, and that group ran them off.  The mother/daughter kinda hung out by themselves the rest of the trip.

We were told that if you wanted an Aquavit table, to put something on it after 1800.  It was my spouse/daughter/bf and we sat up front left 4 top maybe 5 or 6 nights out of 9.  

The Captain sitting in the lounge, yes, my spouse thought it was his spouse joining him for New Years.  It was nice to see them.

That may have been the same night that a couple that was usually at a 2 top found it occupied, and wound up slipping some $ to be able to sit in the lounge.  They spoke to both the waiter and the dining room manager.  I didn't see the big deal in them wanting to sit there.

To me, that the Aquavit Lounge meals take almost as long as the MDR is the issue I'd like to see Viking address.  If going back to a served buffet gets you in and out quicker, I'd be happy.

Yep - this was exactly the incident.  The daughter of the couple came to our table after orders were given and passed her business card to me.  They have a business and wanted to send us product as a thank you.  I never followed up because I did not move tables for a payoff, I moved because crew asked but if I had others joining us, I would have stood my ground and stayed at that table.

• Like 1