Leaving cruise ship at 4 am in Valletta (Malta) during overnight stay

SSCAF001

I will sail on Marina from October 2 to 16 from Barcelona to Malta. Actually, the ship will arrive in Malta on October 15 morning with an overnight stay, the cruise ending on October 16 morning. The flight I want to take to leave Malta departs at 5:50 am on October 16. So I will need to leave the ship at 4 am on October 16. Do you know if we can leave the ship so early? Is there a kind of curfew during the night preventing passengers to get in or off the ship during a certain period at night? Thanks for your answers! 

Including time it takes to get to the airport, check in, passport control for an international flight, 4am might not work for you. It may make more sense to leave the ship when it arrives in Malta, and staying near the airport in a hotel for the night. 

1 hour ago, Hokapontas said:

Including time it takes to get to the airport, check in, passport control for an international flight, 4am might not work for you. It may make more sense to leave the ship when it arrives in Malta, and staying near the airport in a hotel for the night. 

Thanks. Do you know whether it is possible to leave the ship at 4 in the morning?

7 hours ago, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks. Do you know whether it is possible to leave the ship at 4 in the morning?

This is something you need to discuss with your TA or Oceania Rep. It probably is not an issue. FWIW, I agree with the other poster about 4am not being early enough. I wouldn't go so far as to say stay in a hotel, but I'd probably shoot for getting off at 3am. I have no idea how far the airport is from where the ship ports. That might be good information to find out. Of course, handling your luggage will all be your responsibility. 

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

Of course, handling your luggage will all be your responsibility. 

Will you need to clear customs with those bags?  Will customs be awake at 4am?

Twice on another cruise line where we overnighted before disembarkation day, the ship moved to a different berth in the middle of the night.  In one case it moved a couple miles to a different port.  They made it clear there was going to be a several hour period in the middle of the night when no one can get on or off the ship.  I would definitely get it in writing from O that this middle-of-the-night departure will be permitted at this port.

As others have said, I don't think 4AM is early enough and you also need confirmation that customs will be available at that hour.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Last year on Riviera at Valletta we were docked on the other side of the harbour (Boilers Wharf) due to the main dock being occupied.

DIY passengers had to take a ferry across to town.

Ship's tours were picked up ship side, but dropped off at the town dock and had to take a ferry back across to the ship.

This was neither an overnight nor an embarkation port however.

Edited by Tranquility Base

We did it once (years ago), they send someone from the staff to collect are luggage early.  They did ask us to keep are luggage in the suite.  It's been awhile, but we're hoping to mod this again in Tokyo.  The ship arrives and clears customs the day before and we over night in Tokyo on the ship.  If we can we'll be flying out HND, if for any reason we can't we'll be flying out of NRT.  After cruise we plan on a week in Bangkok and a few days in Hong Kong before flying home.

Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 3:21 AM, Snaefell3 said:

Will you need to clear customs with those bags?  Will customs be awake at 4am? 

I guess, if it is prearranged. 

Edited by Hokapontas
Second thoughts