Giada Pamela De Laurentiis, really?

9 minutes ago, JYDCruise said:

Not commenting about De Laurentis specifically but being a media superstar chef definitely does not preclude someone from having "sufficient credentials". Just because "Oh! I've heard of . . .", for example Emeril "Bam!" Legasse or Gordon "F!$k" Ramsey doesn't mean they don't have very legitimate cooking chops, because they most certainly do. IMO either would have been good choices for culinary advisors regardless of their popularity. And Jacque Pepin - what problem does he have? Pepin had/has quite the culinary background before becoming a media star, really before chefs became media stars at all. Sufficient credentials, indeed.

I think you missed my (too subtle? 😉 ) point.  She's wasn't really hired to do food, but to contribute her name to advertising.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kay S said:

Bernie Mev 😝

I'm a horrible shopper and had no idea what this meant so had to google. But then I've never heard of most of the chefs in this topic, so maybe I'm just plain ignorant. 😁 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Though have you read the cognitive dissonance groupthink of the Vista Cheerleaders and Ember, a glorified Applebee's!

And the praise for the on-board "Pizza Hut". (I enjoyed a pizza on Riviera in Nov 2023, but that isn't what I'm looking for when it comes to fine dining or interesting cuisine when a couple is paying say $350-500 per couple per day.)

Now all they need is a Denny's, a Burger King, and a DQ to complete the culinary triumph of modern American "cuisine"? 😞

8 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I ate the evening pizza at Wave's on Riviera 11/2023. Oh boy, the joy. Pizza. Like we can have every Friday night in America.

I have NO desire to pay more and get less on Vista. Even on the Extraordinary Saving Sale from 2023, we're paying $350-400 per day per couple. So, do I want "Ember", a glorified Applebee's? No! And I'm not seeing anything wowing me about Aquamar, either. Cost cutting moves for O. The "pay more, get less" program for Vista, for those who want to be on new ships at any price.

Recently off of a B2B2B on our first Vista cruise and of course we were concerned with the loss of Jacques.  Still think it was wonderful and miss it.  BUT we also really enjoyed Ember (and we were NOT inclined to do so beforehand!) so I think that you need to reserve judgment until you have experienced it all.

For one thing, the pizza at Waves is NOT like the pizza that is routinely offered at home.  AT least not in the USA where we have PLENTY of pizza options.  My dear hubby is not a fan of pizza but loved the pizza in Waves.  We have tons of gourmet pizza restaurants in the greater Los Angeles area and still find Waves offering to be truly enjoyable.  We also truly loved many items on the Ember menu.  And as for the sound issue?  The first night we sat on the inner portion of the restaurant.....on four later occasions we were a bit closer to the windows and that area did seem to be a bit quieter.  Again, we were happy enough with some of the menu offerings that we dined there five times....

The Dover Sole in Toscana is also part of Giada's changes I believe?  And my husband loved it enough to dine there five times as well....and this if from a man who does not really enjoy Italian food.....

So keep an open mind....as we found the Vista's food offerings to be above par and certainly as good as the other Oceania options that we have enjoyed on the Riviera.  

And as for your '$350-$400 per day"......our costs are closer to $1000 per day and we are very satisfied with the offerings on the Vista.  Give it a chance and you may agree!  And if not?  You can choose to cruise elsewhere.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kay S said:

You know, I'm an Oceania newbie, and I'm wondering if all this "snooty" talk is typical of conversation at dinner on the ship?  I sure hope not.  I want to enjoy my dinner (or slice of pizza)  in peace.

Currently on Regatta for our first Oceania cruise. Over 1/3 of ship is on their first Oceania Cruise. Most people rather nice. Had some good dinners talking with other passengers.  Other than that ship environment seems to be rather sedate or based upon the number of passengers sleeping at various places sedated. 

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

The Dover Sole in Toscana is also part of Giada's changes I believe?

I've enjoyed in Toscana (even if it is a somewhat dissonant note), pre-Giada.

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

I've enjoyed in Toscana (even if it is a somewhat dissonant note), pre-Giada.

As have we.  And I am not suggesting that it is the "best" Italian food ever nor that it has improved since her addition to the equation.......but it does make for a nice switch off between Polo, Ember, Jacques (when available) and Ember.  And the occasional dining room -which we do not find to be such that we eat there more than 2-3 times on a 2-3 week cruise.

As many have said....food is so subjective.  For example we do NOT like Red Ginger and only force ourselves to eat there once every 2-3 weeks.  But we do live in an area that is know for Michelin Star rated Asian cuisine....so are spoiled when it comes to Asian and Asian Fusion cuisine.

I DO wish that Polo still offered prime rib on the menu......

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Now, as far as the cheapskates go -- they are probably just reliving their "rum runner flask days" from sailing on Carnival.

Ahhh...good times. 😝  Well, not really, but can someone tell me what the official Oceania policy is regarding bringing on liquor?

2 hours ago, TRLD said:

Currently on Regatta for our first Oceania cruise. Over 1/3 of ship is on their first Oceania Cruise.

Lots of folks are moving up from "premium" to "small ship luxury" as all the categories move down a half-category to repay for the shutdown.   ::raises hand::

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

The Dover Sole in Toscana is also part of Giada's changes I believe? 

I had it in Jacques a few years ago and it was the best I've ever had.

BTW, I've done a search and can find no record of Giada actually finishing a culinary school. Or of actually cooking in any restaurant where she didn't have family connections. Just saying.

• Thanks 1

She attended the Cordon Bleu in France....and worked for Wolfgang Puck at Spago for a few years.....and I know she also worked in the catering department of a large upscale hotel chain....can't remember the name right now.....

And as for family connections....I guess the same could be said about Claudine Pepin?  As I love her to death and have sailed on a few cruises where both she and her lovely father were passengers and also gave presentations.  She is also the godmother to an Oceania ship.....so those family connections may have been in play there as well?   I give all of them total credit for doing what they have managed to do in the culinary world.....as I am NOT a great cook and truly appreciate those who take this ability to a new level...whether professionally trained or self-taught.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, basor said:

Have you sailed on Vista and eaten at Embers, Aquamar and the evening pizza at Waves ?

Funny you should mention that as we dined at Embers, on the Vista, last evening.  To us, it is the least satisfying food venue on the ship.  Love Waves.

Hank

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kay S said:

Ahhh...good times. 😝  Well, not really, but can someone tell me what the official Oceania policy is regarding bringing on liquor?

Here’s a link to O’s FAQ on alcohol - the official policy you requested.

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005405394-What-is-your-alcohol-policy-for-bringing-bottles-on-board

Although, on CC you will hear there is no effective limit to the amount of alcohol that you bring on board, so long as you conform to the regs, e.g., consume in your cabin or pay corkage for wine consumed in a restaurant. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

Lots of folks are moving up from "premium" to "small ship luxury" as all the categories move down a half-category to repay for the shutdown.   ::raises hand::

So far a number seem to be more interested in going back from premium, Oceania, to adult focused mass market HAL and Celebrity, or up to the luxury brands of regent, scenic, etc.

Get the feeling that a large number of first timers not going to repeat. The ones talking about luxury lines talk about things they feel are missing. Those talking about going back to HAL or Celebrity talk about the energy level or lack there of.

Edited by TRLD
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

I DO wish that Polo still offered prime rib on the menu......

Gee, we're just off of Insignia where both the king's and queen's cut of prime rib were on the Polo menu as they have been for years.  In fact, I had the queen's on two occasions (rare, of course, as prime rib should be) and was a happy camper.  Is it maybe missing only on Vista as they seem to be taking O in new culinary directions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

So far a number seem to be more interested in going back from premium, Oceania, to adult focused mass market HAL and Celebrity, or up to the luxury brands of regent, scenic, etc.

Get the feeling that a large number of first timers not going to repeat. The ones talking about luxury lines talk about things they feel are missing. Those talking about going back to HAL or Celebrity talk about the energy level or lack there of.

You are never going to get the same ‘energy’ on a small ship as you would on Celebrity etc. They are basically different types of cruising it’s not just a case of ‘scaling’ down a large ship. 

Oceania is ‘premium’ not ‘luxury’ but having sailed on the the 3 most popular ‘luxury’ lines I would say ‘yes’ there are more perks but in actual fact they aren’t really that much more ‘luxorious’. Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations.

I happily sail with Oceania but, for me, there is something a little ‘more special’ about Seabourn but they too have deteriorated in recent years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

Gee, we're just off of Insignia where both the king's and queen's cut of prime rib were on the Polo menu as they have been for years.  In fact, I had the queen's on two occasions (rare, of course, as prime rib should be) and was a happy camper.  Is it maybe missing only on Vista as they seem to be taking O in new culinary directions?

I was on a 24 day cruise on Sirena Nov/Dec 2023 and although Prime Rib (my favourite kind of steak)  appeared on the Polo menu, when I ordered this for my main course one time I was presented with a grilled Rib Eye steak without being informed, maybe they thought I didn't know what Prime Rib was!  My other two visits when I tried to order I was given the information that they did not have Prime Rib despite it being on the menu.

Edited by tine-tine
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

We also had prime rib in Tuscan Steak on Sirena recently, but while on Vista last summer it was not available in Polo. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vallesan said:

You are never going to get the same ‘energy’ on a small ship as you would on Celebrity etc. They are basically different types of cruising it’s not just a case of ‘scaling’ down a large ship. 

Oceania is ‘premium’ not ‘luxury’ but having sailed on the the 3 most popular ‘luxury’ lines I would say ‘yes’ there are more perks but in actual fact they aren’t really that much more ‘luxorious’. Sometimes people have unrealistic expectations.

I happily sail with Oceania but, for me, there is something a little ‘more special’ about Seabourn but they too have deteriorated in recent years.

We have sailed on this exact size ship with two other lines (Azamara and Princess before RCL sold Azamara and Princess sold their two r class ships Ocean and Pacific). We enjoyed those cruises and were part of our decision to do French Polynesia on this size ship. The energy level on those cruises were much higher than on this one. Sleeping on recliners around the pool, which seems to be the favorite activity for many, is not our thing. 

For that matter we were on an even smaller ship in Greece last fall and found it more engaging.

Do not know why this cruise on Oceania seems so sedate compared to our previous experiences on this size and smaller ships. Including other cruises in the same area. The only passengers are nice enough and conversations interesting.

Edited by TRLD

15 minutes ago, TRLD said:

We have sailed on this exact size ship with two other lines (Azamara and Princess before RCL sold Azamara and Princess sold their two r class ships Ocean and Pacific). We enjoyed those cruises and were part of our decision to do French Polynesia on this size ship. The energy level on those cruises were much higher than on this one. Sleeping on recliners around the pool, which seems to be the favorite activity for many, is not our thing. 

For that matter we were on an even smaller ship in Greece last fall and found it more engaging.

Do not know why this cruise on Oceania seems so sedate compared to our previous experiences on this size and smaller ships. Including other cruises in the same area. The only passengers are nice enough and conversations interesting.

You know I have no idea either.

I can only assume that since cruising restarted in 2022 everything has changed!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Itinerary matters.  I won't do the Caribbean anymore as it has a very different cliental versus those itineraries out of say Istanbul or Oslo. And for me, not in a good way.  However, I see you are in New Zealand.  Maybe a one off?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

You know I have no idea either.

I can only assume that since cruising restarted in 2022 everything has changed!

22 minutes ago, TRLD said:

It could have something to do with the time of year and the area you sailed in on the other ships.. a 7-10 day cruise during holidays/summer/etc. in the Caribbean/Mexico/Alaska is going to attract a much younger crowd.  

3 minutes ago, basor said:

It could have something to do with the time of year and the area you sailed in on the other ships.. a 7-10 day cruise during holidays/summer/etc. in the Caribbean/Mexico/Alaska is going to attract a much younger crowd.  

You are so right!

Length of trip, time of year (seasons) , and place are really important.

We sailed B2B in the Caribbean. 10 nights and 7. The 7 night cruise was so  completely different. I’m guessing ‘cheap cruise 7 nts’ led to a completely different cruise experience, not one we would repeat!

35 minutes ago, basor said:

One was two 10 day cruises out of Papeete. The 2 others on this class shios were longer cruises over 14 days. The demographics may have been  younger on 2 10 day FP cruises with some working adults, but not much so.

The returning Oceania cruisers  indicate that this is the norm for an Oceania cruise.

43 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Itinerary matters.  I won't do the Caribbean anymore as it has a very different cliental versus those itineraries out of say Istanbul or Oslo. And for me, not in a good way.  However, I see you are in New Zealand.  Maybe a one off?

We do not really do Caribbean cruises  but we did do one last year because it went to Guadalupe and we are fans of Death in Paradise, a British comedy series that is filmed there.  Our norm is transatlantic cruises to/from Europe where we do land travel intermixed with other specific cruises across multiple lines. Mostly catching a cruise going where and when it fits our schedule than any particular line. Add to that a few longer cruises in Asia, Africa, SA, and south Pacific. Usually about 100 days a year or so.

• Like 2